The Cortica Jug is going to be really something this year | Syracusefan.com

The Cortica Jug is going to be really something this year

Syracuse isn't the only 6-0 team in these parts. (See links in my original post, above).

6-0 Ithaca, (average score: 42-6. Closest margin: +24 points) will walk over 0-6 Buffalo State, then Face 5-2 RPI and 5-1 Union.

6-0 Cortland, (average score: 53-13. Closest margin +18 points), faces still another 6-0 team, Utica then should have clear sailing against 2-4 Alfred and 3-4 St. John Fisher.

Commendation to 3-3 Brockport, who have lost to Ithaca 0-24, Cortland 24-42 and Utica, 21-35.

I still remember how good local small colleges were in the Division III playoffs in the 1970's, 80's and 90's. Ithaca played for the title seven times and won three, (all over teams that had previously beaten them). Union reached the finals twice and lost. St. Lawrence made it to the semis a couple of times. But since then, the balance of power has shifted to the Midwest and other parts of the country. The size of the scores being rolled up has been astronomical. My impression has been that, while DIII schools can't give out scholarships, some of them decided to build up muscular programs in terms of facilities and coaching staffs and schools like Mount Union, Whitewater, Mary Hardin-Baylor and others were really the equivalent of DII or even FCS programs playing in DIII and that the DIII champions of this century were significantly better than those of the last century. The idea of the quaintly successful small college program based on the abilities of a particular coach was lost. I wonder if the Bombers and Red Dragons have decided to join the ranks of the elite by building up their programs and maybe that's going to show up in greater post season success for both schools.

Kind of partial to the Dragons here! Love that new coaching staff ;););)

BIG NASTY!

Love it

In my head, he looks like this.

3840-1-5da274fc33085.jpg

Let's go Utica U, slay the Red Dragons.

Sorry...

Cortland 7-0 (364-101: 52-14) still has to play 2-5 Alfred and 3-4 St. John Fisher
Ithaca 7-0 (308-44: 44-6) still has to play 5-2 RPI and 6-1 Union

...before they play each other in Yankee Stadium.

Last edited:
Another pretty good confrontation next week for the Section III Calss AA ttile:

My Alma Mater,

Cicero North Syracuse (9-1)
Horseheards 42-14
Monroe-Woodbury 28-14
CBA 41-42
Baldwinsville 41-19
Henninger 44-22
Liverpool 35-0
Rome Free 43-7
Utica Proctor 47-14
Henninger 54-14
Baldwinsville 21-7
Total: 391-153

Christina Brothers Academy (9-0)
Shaker 32-25
Utica Proctor 44-6
CNS 42-41
Henninger 67-32
Baldwinsville 28-9
Rome Free 69-21
Liverpool 35-13
Pittsford 33-7
Utica Proctor 42-8
Total: 392-162

Dear Lord SWC, you need to find another outlet or hobby other than Syracuse sports and or random college stats which don’t matter in the grand scheme of life.

Hobbies need to matter in the grand scheme of life?

Ithaca wins the Cortica Jug, 34-17. Their defense controlled the line of scrimmage and stuffed the conventical plays. What they had trouble with was Zac Boyes's running. They failed to contain him in the pocket and Boyes is a nifty runner, (he's also the son of Ithaca legend Jerry Boyes) and made several big plays to keep drives alive, bringing Cortland back from a 7-20 deficit to withing 17-20. But Boyes' passing was off and he threw some key interceptions to thwart Cortland drives and set up the Bombers, who put the game away with two foruth quarter scores. Both teams will likely be in the field when the DIII brackets are annoucned towmorrow. In 1998, both teams wee unbeaten when Cortland beat Ithaca for the Jug but the Bombers went on to win the NCAA titles despite that setback.

Ithaca wins the Cortica Jug, 34-17. Their defense controlled the line of scrimmage and stuffed the conventical plays. What they had trouble with was Zac Boyes's running. They failed to contain him in the pocket and Boyes is a nifty runner, (he's also the son of Ithaca legend Jerry Boyes) and made several big plays to keep drives alive, bringing Cortland back from a 7-20 deficit to withing 17-20. But Boyes' passing was off and he threw some key interceptions to thwart Cortland drives and set up the Bombers, who put the game away with two foruth quarter scores. Both teams will likely be in the field when the DIII brackets are annoucned towmorrow. In 1998, both teams wee unbeaten when Cortland beat Ithaca for the Jug but the Bombers went on to win the NCAA titles despite that setback.

Hate to be that guy but it’s “Cortaca Jug”. I appreciate your attention to the game and the write up but just wanted the spelling correct.

SWC, when are the D3 playoff selections?

Hate to be that guy but it’s “Cortaca Jug”. I appreciate your attention to the game and the write up but just wanted the spelling correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom