The Coyle decision | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

The Coyle decision

GoSU96 said:
Here's what I know, Marrone and Hackett were confident enough with they had recruited at the position that the horrible QB that went 9-7 with McF't as OC would have been playing safety in 2013. A bad recruiter doesn't improve the talent in the program as much as Marrone did.

That's not my contention. He developed players well. He schemed us a bunch of wins.

But arguing he left us a bunch of great talent is suspect.

That's not my contention. He developed players well. He schemed us a bunch of wins.

But arguing he left us a bunch of great talent is suspect.

Who's arguing great?

Seriously stop with the strawman BS, it's really old. For all the nonsense you've posted the last couple of months why not sit this one out.

Note all 3 sources are sort of related but heard it on their own. I don't kow their connection specifically but one is extremely "university" connected overall

GoSU96 said:
Who's arguing great? Seriously stop with the strawman BS, it's really old. For all the nonsense you've posted the last couple of months why not sit this one out.

Ha! I stand behind everything I said. You can't stand that I point out what Marrone actually was (the good, bad, mediocre). I get mocked for always thinking the best will happen for Syracuse - but you fail in evaluating the past without bias.

It's not strawman. You've been arguing for months that the cupboards were not bare. We had mediocre BE talent at a few spots (check the all-ACC teams) and zilch at others. That parts on Marrone. The coaching them up, doing more with less, winning games with coaching - that failures on Shafer.

Point fingers where the deserve to be pointed. Evaluate fairly and I'll take your more seriously.

Ha! I stand behind everything I said. You can't stand that I point out what Marrone actually was (the good, bad, mediocre). I get mocked for always thinking the best will happen for Syracuse - but you fail in evaluating the past without bias.

It's not strawman. You've been arguing for months that the cupboards were not bare. We had mediocre BE talent at a few spots (check the all-ACC teams) and zilch at others. That parts on Marrone. The coaching them up, doing more with less, winning games with coaching - that failures on Shafer.

Point fingers where the deserve to be pointed. Evaluate fairly and I'll take your more seriously.

Bare is 2008.

You go 7-6, should have been 8-5/9-4, out of the gate in the ACC, that is all the evidence you need that the cupboard wasn't bare.

All-ACC team's - talk about cart before the horse.

There are basically two styles for an AD here. One is to do the search firm, search committee route to make everybody feel good and the other is to present a candidate of your choice to the BOT. A lot depends on the AD's style and authority. The latter is a politically risky move.

Boise State used a search firm and search committee, which is probably what SU will do. However, there is always the possibility that when Coyle was hired he got assurances that he could pick his guy. We should know shortly.

All that said, a smart AD can engineer his choice is he is deft politically. He can kill or add candidates with the search firm or engineer the criteria to narrow the field. We are going to learn al lot abut the new leaders at SU when this search unfolds.

GoSU96 said:
Bare is 2008. You go 7-6, should have been 8-5/9-4, out of the gate in the ACC, that is all the evidence you need that the cupboard wasn't bare. All-ACC team's - talk about cart before the horse.

No - I said fair evaluation.

You refuse to take what we lost into the equation. True colors.

CuseLegacy said:
Then why not just say the staff will not be returning next year?

Because it's not official. Phrasing it that way implies that a wholesale change will be made, top to bottom. As opposed to the HC being retained but staff changes being made,

Then why not just say the staff will not be returning next year?

What there saying is that one or two coaches are likely to be retained but a majority of the staff is gone.

Sure. What's 1 more game.

How can they sheetcan him tomorrow and then let him coach on Saturday? Do they let Lester assume the tole of lame-duck HC with him knowing his head is on the chopping block as well? Somehow I don't see Shafer and staff getting their walking papers until after BC. But then again, what the hell do I know?:noidea:

I awaken to 3 sources that he is gone. Will be announced tomorrow officially.

Makes sense, get our name out there nationally and the official search begin so we can get someone in there ASAP to keep the recruiting class together as much as possible.

How can they sheetcan him tomorrow and then let him coach on Saturday? Do they let Lester assume the tole of lame-duck HC with him knowing his head is on the chopping block as well? Somehow I don't see Shafer and staff getting their walking papers until after BC. But then again, what the hell do I know?:noidea:

SU did pretty much the same thing with Robinson, just announce that he wont be back next year. Happens a lot these days

It has been done before fairly often, but normally I would say what is the point of doing it with one game left. In this situation it may be cruel to let Shafer swing in the wind when it can be ended now. I would like to see it done just to give Shafer some relief.

I'm guessing they do it tomorrow because in case he beats BC they don't want him to claim momentum going into the off season

OburgOrange said:
I'm guessing they do it tomorrow because in case he beats BC they don't want him to claim momentum going into the off season

Very astute observation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom