"The Dome roof" | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

"The Dome roof"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still would need to perhaps demolish and/or move other things in that area. Can't destroy the Physics Building and Bursar's Office.
Actually you can and that’s partially called for in the framework, but replacement is needed before demolition can take place. Nobody wants to wait another 4 years.

Actually you can and that’s partially called for in the framework, but replacement is needed before demolition can take place. Nobody wants to wait another 4 years.
Yes. Making the Dome "Quad facing," was an important component of the framework I saw. On top of that were plans to utilize dome space as a living classroom, most likely for Falk students and Newhouse. The physics building was slated to go to make this possible.

Wonderful! As I've mentioned in this forum before, due to space constraints, some sort of main atrium/entrance in one corner of the Dome would be very nice to have.

Wonderful! As I've mentioned in this forum before, due to space constraints, some sort of main atrium/entrance in one corner of the Dome would be very nice to have.

The plan is to create this entrance with connecting the archbold gym building. Whether complete demolition or rehab I forget. But that where it’s gonna happen and that’s the plan.

When I think of the SU campus, it's Marshall Street, Sheraton, the Quad and the Dome. Skytop doesn't accomplish anything other than saying it's still "on campus". Might as well consider the Inner Harbor or the fairgrounds as well then, seeing as those sites offer different upsides.
You apparently never lived on South Campus.

The plan is to create this entrance with connecting the archbold gym building. Whether complete demolition or rehab I forget. But that where it’s gonna happen and that’s the plan.
If they can move into the space occupied by the Physics building, that could really open things up. Clearly, there's lots of inertia behind the current location. HOWEVER, I question the value unless the renovation is a significant upgrade. The place is dark and narrow. It looks like an anti-aircraft revetment - it's brutalist. They need to bring the facility into the 21st century -- with much more glass, light and open spaces. I just don't see how that will happen without hundreds of millions of dollars, especially the narrow concourses and closed in feeling. You reach a point trying to fix the existing structure where it just makes more sense to start over. If that's the direction they wind up going, Skytop's still on campus and offers lots more space and better highway access.

Last edited:
If they can move into the space occupied by the Physics building, that could really open things up. Clearly, there's lots of inertia behind the current location. HOWEVER, I question the value unless the renovation is a significant upgrade. The place is dark and narrow. It looks like an anti-aircraft revetment - it's brutalist. They need to bring the facility into the 21st century -- with much more glass, light and open spaces. I just don't see how that will happen without hundreds of millions of dollars, especially the narrow concourses and closed in feeling. You reach a point trying to fix the existing structure where it just makes more sense to start over. If that's the direction they wind up going, Skytop's still on campus and offers lots more space and better highway access.

the entrance would likely be a demo of archold gym building and redone the way you imagine. eateries/bars, merchandising, statues, banners, high ceilings, lots of light, whatever. It would done modern and right.

I think it's foolish to renovate or rebuild a massive modern structure in the middle of Campus and not impact football or basketball seasons and worry about spending a lot of money.

You get three things: right, fast, or cheap. Pick two.

A new dome at Skytop alleviates a whole lot of issues.

I think it's foolish to renovate or rebuild a massive modern structure in the middle of Campus and not impact football or basketball seasons and worry about spending a lot of money.

You get three things: right, fast, or cheap. Pick two.

A new dome at Skytop alleviates a whole lot of issues.
And opens up a lot more too. First there is money. Second, infrastructure. Third, neighbors. Not saying it can't be done, but there would be additional challenges.

I don't get why it is foolish to renovate the dome at a relatively modest cost and not impact football or basketball.

fball has a lot of haters, tons of spending on a building a new stadium in a sport that might not be around in 20 yrs? who knows?

I don't get why it is foolish to renovate the dome at a relatively modest cost and not impact football or basketball.
Because I don't think that (bolded) can be done. If it could be, there wouldn't be super secret squirrel discussions going on for 3-4 years trying to figure out how.

It is a helluva engineering challenge to do what people are considering, on a tiny footprint, and not run up budget.

Last edited:
IMO, I get that the product on the field helps with attendance. However, I attend many different venues if you make it a experience, comfortable with good food, comfortable seating, nice bathrooms, cool video displays on large screens, lighting, music, etc. People will show up to be part of the scene and enjoy the venue as much as the game. A few examples are Minnesota Gophers new stadium. I get the venues in ATL, DFW and Minny are funded by NFL money but they are a draw by themselves. The Dome was like that in the 80's we just have not kept up with modern times. If you build it they will come.

I have heard they want a giant video screen in each corner.
It won’t be like the Cowboys stadium one but they want to make the screens better.

I have heard they want a giant video screen in each corner.
It won’t be like the Cowboys stadium one but they want to make the screens better.
I'd want them in the center, hanging from the roof. Closer viewing.

Because I don't think that (bolded) can be done. If it could be, there wouldn't be super secret squirrel discussions going on for 3-4 years trying to figure out how.

It is a helluva engineering challenge to do what people are considering, on a tiny footprint, and not run up budget.
If it can't be done, it won't be done. Like you said, it's a helluva challenge. Maybe that is why the planning has taken 3-4 years. But if it can be done, it's not foolish. The roof cost floated is $105M. That's relatively modest compared to alternatives even after adding the $100M more they talked about.

As for budgets, a new stadium would cost $35oM+ on the cheap and most likely more based on other indoor stadiums not to mention the added infrastructure needed if you could ever get it to pass opposition from the neighbors.

One huge plus the current site has going for it is it is already there. The previous stadium being on the same site made it easy to site the current dome. Talk of Skytop or Drumlins was met with huge opposition from the neighbors which would have taken years to litigate and add uncertainty.

Thanks for posting that. I notice the article was posted 3 months ago. My info is probably 1 to 2 years old (it’s in the early pages of that development thread) so there was a change of plans somewhere along the line. And my info came from the very top. Im maybe officially worried now unless the plan only changed to be the corner gate E area. However that certainly wouldn’t be as grand as originally planned.

My guess is that addressing student gym space was a priority, so plans were changed-and are being finalized.(I suspect it's a go, with a June announcement)

If they can squeak out some footage, on another side, or 2, they may still be able to add amenities. That's my hope, and I think it's possible. Something has to be done, and time has run out.

Syracuse University Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY (Google Maps)

Last edited:
One huge plus the current site has going for it is it is already there. The previous stadium being on the same site made it easy to site the current dome.
When they built the original dome, they didn't have basketball games to worry about and football was played elsewhere for a year. Plus the area was essentially a blank slate.

Zoning challenges and neighbors, of course, would be a challenge as well. New infrastructure costs money, too. But at the end of the day, if you can do something for $200m that's kind of half-arsed, but on-campus or building something for $350m that's modern, thoroughly extends the lifespan, and addresses the big issues (parking, ADA accessibility, fan experience/seats) then that becomes more palatable.

I'm not opposed to either, but I would be disappointed if the drivers/priorities that are limiting factors to doing something truly nice are keeping the location the same and not interrupting football/basketball seasons. The dome footprint is valuable real estate for a constrained campus that wants to build new academic buildings where as nearly all the athletic buildings are located at Skytop/South Campus.

When they built the original dome, they didn't have basketball games to worry about and football was played elsewhere for a year. Plus the area was essentially a blank slate.

Zoning challenges and neighbors, of course, would be a challenge as well. New infrastructure costs money, too. But at the end of the day, if you can do something for $200m that's kind of half-arsed, but on-campus or building something for $350m that's modern, thoroughly extends the lifespan, and addresses the big issues (parking, ADA accessibility, fan experience/seats) then that becomes more palatable.

I'm not opposed to either, but I would be disappointed if the drivers/priorities that are limiting factors to doing something truly nice are keeping the location the same and not interrupting football/basketball seasons. The dome footprint is valuable real estate for a constrained campus that wants to build new academic buildings where as nearly all the athletic buildings are located at Skytop/South Campus.
$350M is probably not much in bells and whistles. Plus, that does not count the infrastructure (roads) that will be needed (which could include a 481 ramp). They'd have to get the state to do that (more time, more money). I disagree with your assumption that $200M would have to be "half-arsed".

I'll bet on a re-dome.. I think they can also make it modern- in stages.

If you were to close a surrounding road, or 2 or 3, and turn them into outside concourses, you can at least extend the current footprint.(add amenities). That's my guess.

I'll add my two cents and this is me talking as I type so I apologize for the disjointed nature of this post. Just wanted to get this on here...

Having been in those meetings with COR (take them out of this for a moment) and Mahoney in late 2013 early 2014 I would do anything to get this stadium build in Kennedy Square. The city of Syracuse is in desperate need of a "signature" development project. In my opinion, a new stadium at Kennedy Square would be perfect. Im not just talking about the stadium itself, but what comes with a stadium around it, bars, restaurants, apartments etc. and in a city that desperately needs development and property tax revenue it's a home run. It checks another box for me in that it is extremely close to campus so students won't have an issue getting there. If you've been to Phoebe's (or in that area) you would see some students would soon live closer to the stadium than the main campus (600 bed student housing project). Another box it would check is the game day atmosphere. Downtown Syracuse would be more alive that it has ever been on game days, that's not even mentioning the tailgating experience. I haven't even touched the impending 81 decision and the development that would go on there if they were to make it a community grid.

My point is, a stadium at Kennedy Square would:
1. Solve the due diligence and scheduling problem
2. Provide development and new tax revenue for a city that needs it
3. Provide a selling point to a new basketball coach in 5 years and recruits
4. Make downtown the place to be on game days

I get passionate when talking about what Syracuse could become. Unfortunately, we are lead by some of the most arrogant, me first a**holes I've ever come across and I've said as much (and more) to two of them. I don't think they'll be sending me a birthday card anytime soon.

So anyways, who wants to write the check I'll go get the shovels ha.

I can't wait til they make the decision. This is thread #3 (at least) on the Dome Reno topic and it will be fun to talk about the actual confirmed plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.