"The Dome roof" | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

"The Dome roof"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told it would be on the Gate E side towards the quad and Hendricks.

That portion of the Dome could have support to make it more feasible for handicap or people with bad knees easier access into the stadium.

When the renovation takes place Syracuse will have legal standing to get out of the Carrier naming rights deal if a portion of the facility is torn down and with a new top creating a new facility.

Carrier could I guess sue but it’s doubtful a court in CNY would side with them.

Carrier and Syracuse - via some help with AEG - already came to the conclusion that a new naming rights sponsor could be had...that happened a year before Coyle arrived on campus. It just has not been enacted.

I'll add my two cents and this is me talking as I type so I apologize for the disjointed nature of this post. Just wanted to get this on here...

Having been in those meetings with COR (take them out of this for a moment) and Mahoney in late 2013 early 2014 I would do anything to get this stadium build in Kennedy Square. The city of Syracuse is in desperate need of a "signature" development project. In my opinion, a new stadium at Kennedy Square would be perfect. Im not just talking about the stadium itself, but what comes with a stadium around it, bars, restaurants, apartments etc. and in a city that desperately needs development and property tax revenue it's a home run. It checks another box for me in that it is extremely close to campus so students won't have an issue getting there. If you've been to Phoebe's (or in that area) you would see some students would soon live closer to the stadium than the main campus (600 bed student housing project). Another box it would check is the game day atmosphere. Downtown Syracuse would be more alive that it has ever been on game days, that's not even mentioning the tailgating experience. I haven't even touched the impending 81 decision and the development that would go on there if they were to make it a community grid.

My point is, a stadium at Kennedy Square would:
1. Solve the due diligence and scheduling problem
2. Provide development and new tax revenue for a city that needs it
3. Provide a selling point to a new basketball coach in 5 years and recruits
4. Make downtown the place to be on game days

I get passionate when talking about what Syracuse could become. Unfortunately, we are lead by some of the most arrogant, me first a**holes I've ever come across and I've said as much (and more) to two of them. I don't think they'll be sending me a birthday card anytime soon.

So anyways, who wants to write the check I'll go get the shovels ha.

Couldn’t agree with you more- this was a missed opportunity on multiple levels. Especially when you tie in the 690 enhancements near Teal, the migration of student housing down the hill towards Genesee Street, etc...hard to imagine what will become of that site now. I work in proximity to the Hotel Syracuse, a great example of what can happen in this city when levels of government and private industry actually work together...

It's not going to happen.
Maybe it won't.

Sometimes loyalty can be detrimental.

I think that Pepsi funding the ribbon boards and TV's in the Dome spent more money on those that Carrier did for naming the building.

Carrier and Syracuse - via some help with AEG - already came to the conclusion that a new naming rights sponsor could be had...that happened a year before Coyle arrived on campus. It just has not been enacted.
So the new facility will have a new name good to know.

HKS_Presentation_-_Section.jpg

Take a look at the USBank Center. There is a truss that runs from end zone to end zone. That truss is the "ridge beam" of the roof. If combined with cantilever techniques, it is easier to see how this all could be feasible. The "ridge" truss would have to be erected over the existing roof. The space that is available between the Dome and ESF, a wide sidewalk and access road, could be a location to post up cantilever supports
images
or
fig03.gif

Seems like the longer this goes on, the more likely the dome is to leave its current location. I don’t know what their future plans are for Skytop, but seems like a perfect opportunity to tie in both campuses. Not ideal, but what’re ya gonna do.

Naming rights aside, I still don’t understand why they go out of their way to advertise Carrier. Maybe you’re stuck with the name, but why put the logo on the court, etc.?

Seems like the longer this goes on, the more likely the dome is to leave its current location. I don’t know what their future plans are for Skytop, but seems like a perfect opportunity to tie in both campuses. Not ideal, but what’re ya gonna do.

Naming rights aside, I still don’t understand why they go out of their way to advertise Carrier. Maybe you’re stuck with the name, but why put the logo on the court, etc.?
Because Carrier paid for the logos? The university is a customer of Carrier? Right now Carrier is providing the mechanicals, HVAC, Security systems, fires systems, elevators, for the new Veterans Center and other expansion projects on campus?

HKS_Presentation_-_Section.jpg

Take a look at the USBank Center. There is a truss that runs from end zone to end zone. That truss is the "ridge beam" of the roof. If combined with cantilever techniques, it is easier to see how this all could be feasible. The "ridge" truss would have to be erected over the existing roof. The space that is available between the Dome and ESF, a wide sidewalk and access road, could be a location to post up cantilever supports
images
or
fig03.gif
Interesting that you picked that project for an example ;)

Because Carrier paid for the logos? The university is a customer of Carrier? Right now Carrier is providing the mechanicals, HVAC, Security systems, fires systems, elevators, for the new Veterans Center and other expansion projects on campus?

That’s fine, if they’re maintaining the relationship. I gueeeeess. Sounds like it’s going to stay the Carrier Dome, then. (Boring)

That’s fine, if they’re maintaining the relationship. I gueeeeess. Sounds like it’s going to stay the Carrier Dome, then. (Boring)
Until something happens to the current structure the Carrier corporation has perpetuity naming rights.
We have to honor that deal or Syracuse is in breach.
Once something happens to the Dome then we can start the process of putting a name on it.

Hmm, $500M proposal. My guess is: 1) new; 2) publicly funded; 3) sited at either the mall or some downtown location (Kennedy square, etc..); 4) SU is the main tenant, but there is a heavy schedule of public events, concerts and so forth; and 5) the facility is owned and maintained by a public "authority" backed by long-term municipal financing (around 650 years or so). How am I doing so far? ;)

Hmm, $500M proposal. My guess is: 1) new; 2) publicly funded; 3) sited at either the mall or some downtown location (Kennedy square, etc..); 4) SU is the main tenant, but there is a heavy schedule of public events, concerts and so forth; and 5) the facility is owned and maintained by a public "authority" backed by long-term municipal financing (around 650 years or so). How am I doing so far? ;)
No inside knowledge here, but I think Miner absolutely destroyed any chance of a mostly publicly funded stadium that is off campus. Unfortunately, the money earmarked for that project has been spent outside the city of Syracuse, and you can thank Miner for that. I wouldn't be surprised if some state money is used to upgrade the Dome, but unfortunately(?) the offsite project is pretty much dead.

No inside knowledge here, but I think Miner absolutely destroyed any chance of a mostly publicly funded stadium that is off campus. Unfortunately, the money earmarked for that project has been spent outside the city of Syracuse, and you can thank Miner for that. I wouldn't be surprised if some state money is used to upgrade the Dome, but unfortunately(?) the offsite project is pretty much dead.
Sounds right, to me. It was Miner, and others. Staying at the current location takes them out of the equation...

Last edited:
Sounds right, to me. It was Miner, and others. Staying at the current location takes them out of the equation...

She was then and still is a dolt. Think of what that construction and structure could have done for the city. Could have made up for the stupid M&T Bank stadium debacle.

And before anyone says anything, YES, anything is better than the city as it stands right now.

They also have always paid for multiple boxes, for football and basketball every year, and also have blocks of season tickets for each. And they pay for the good seats including court side. Carrier has always supported SU through ticket and box sales.

Couldn’t agree with you more- this was a missed opportunity on multiple levels. Especially when you tie in the 690 enhancements near Teal, the migration of student housing down the hill towards Genesee Street, etc...hard to imagine what will become of that site now. I work in proximity to the Hotel Syracuse, a great example of what can happen in this city when levels of government and private industry actually work together...
The difference is Hotel Syracuse is in closer proximity to walkable hot spots. Kennedy Square is a dump surrounded by nothing. I think a new stadium can be a huge catalyst for other spin-off investments --- BUT location, location, location is everything. There has to be a critical mass to start with. Inner Harbor would be my first and only pick if it's off-site unless they considered razing Pioneer Homes. Talk about perfect ingress/egress with former 81 delivering traffic right to the Dome's doorstep.

They also have always paid for multiple boxes, for football and basketball every year, and also have blocks of season tickets for each. And they pay for the good seats including court side. Carrier has always supported SU through ticket and box sales.
Because that adds up to about...an average of $2 mil a year over the last 10 years or so I would bet...nope.

I left the first 20 years out if you noticed. No idea what they should have paid during those times but I am sure it wasn't $78K a year as this deal has averaged over the last 30.

SU is still WAAAAAAYY on the losing end of this agreement unless Carrier agrees to double what the naming rights are over the next 30 years. And air conditioning every building for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.