The Greatest Baseball Player | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Greatest Baseball Player

The fact that Babe Ruth could have made the Hall of Fame as a pitcher ends the conversation for me.

As far as Ruth as a hitter, read this book and see what you think:

Here's a stat for you:

500 foot home runs
Ruth 45
McGwire 12
Bonds 0

And, of course you told us not to mention steriods.

Last edited:
Couple of things on Bonds.

1) The guy drew a ton of walks; in roughly the same # of PA as Mays, he drew 1,000 more walks. So it's harder to add to some of the hit totals with all of the walks he was drawing.
2) On the triples; the parks in Ruth's area were much larger, so he may have lost a few HR (though he probably got a ton back in RF at Yankee Stadium), but most of his triples were just because he hit the ball too far. I don't think there's any doubt Bonds had more speed than Ruth.
3) The Ba thing; Bonds hit 298 for his career, Mays hit 302. We really care about that difference? This is probably a good time to revisit point 1, and also point out Bonds had an OBP 60 points higher than Mays.

I think if you take what Bonds did over the course of his career at face value, you almost have to make him the best player of all time. The 2001-2004 numbers are pretty much out of this world.

Mays was probably the most well rounded great player of all time? I would say a young Barry Bonds was up there, but he was a very good LF and Mays was an all time glove in CF, so that's not really the same.

But just some perspective on the hitting, using OPS+, Mays had a career 156 OPS+. Bonds beat or matched that total the last 18 years of his career. Mays single season high was 185, Bonds career total was 182. As hitters, as great as Mays was, he's not really in the discussion with Bonds.

Then there's the question of what Bonds numbers would be if he'd played from 1951-73 and what Mays would have been had he played from 1986-2007. And keep in mind that Mays was a right-handed hitter in Candlestick Park, which had a strong cross wind going towards right field. Barry was a lefty.

Then there's the question of what Bonds numbers would be if he'd played from 1951-73 and what Mays would have been had he played from 1986-2007. And keep in mind that Mays was a right-handed hitter in Candlestick Park, which had a strong cross wind going towards right field. Barry was a lefty.

All the numbers I'm using adjust for run scoring levels in a general sense. Nothing perfect, of course. And Pacbell/AT&T whatever is really tough for left handed power.

Bonds early in his career...and later

Mays early in his career...and later.

I prefer to believe that Mays played the game without artificial enhancement.

images

images

images

images

1) The guy drew a ton of walks; in roughly the same # of PA as Mays, he drew 1,000 more walks. So it's harder to add to some of the hit totals with all of the walks he was drawing.
2) On the triples; the parks in Ruth's area were much larger, so he may have lost a few HR (though he probably got a ton back in RF at Yankee Stadium), but most of his triples were just because he hit the ball too far. I don't think there's any doubt Bonds had more speed than Ruth.
3) The Ba thing; Bonds hit 298 for his career, Mays hit 302. We really care about that difference? This is probably a good time to revisit point 1, and also point out Bonds had an OBP 60 points higher than Mays.

I think if you take what Bonds did over the course of his career at face value, you almost have to make him the best player of all time. The 2001-2004 numbers are pretty much out of this world.

Mays was probably the most well rounded great player of all time? I would say a young Barry Bonds was up there, but he was a very good LF and Mays was an all time glove in CF, so that's not really the same.

But just some perspective on the hitting, using OPS+, Mays had a career 156 OPS+. Bonds beat or matched that total the last 18 years of his career. Mays single season high was 185, Bonds career total was 182. As hitters, as great as Mays was, he's not really in the discussion with Bonds.

The OP referred to "players" not "hitters."

Yeah I can't even imagine what a healthy Mantle could have accomplished. And if he didn't ever drink...

Double headers meant Mick missed two games when hungover ...

The OP referred to "players" not "hitters."

Agreed, just wanted to put some of the hitting things in context.

If you take the numbers at face value, the offensive difference is too much to overcome I think

Any discussion of greatest baseball player that doesn't involve Minnie Mendoza is just pointless.

Agreed, just wanted to put some of the hitting things in context.

If you take the numbers at face value, the offensive difference is too much to overcome I think

Agreed, it's tough to quantify defense. I don't remember seeing a better defensive center fielder than Garry Pettis or Devon White, but they're not even part of the discussion. I remember hearing one announcer talking about the pitcher's best friend was not the double play, rather it was "fast outfielders."

Agreed, it's tough to quantify defense. I don't remember seeing a better defensive center fielder than Garry Pettis or Devon White, but they're not even part of the discussion. I remember hearing one announcer talking about the pitcher's best friend was not the double play, rather it was "fast outfielders."

If we are going to throw defense in the mix, Johnny Bench needs to be in the conversation, as a two way players, it didn't get much better than him behind the plate.

Paul Blair was also one of the best defensive centerfielders.

Honus Wagner

From Wikiedia:
When the Baseball Hall of Fame held its first election in 1936, Wagner tied for second in the voting with Babe Ruth, trailing Cobb. A 1942 Sporting News poll of 100 former players and managers confirmed this opinion, with Wagner finishing 43 votes behind Cobb and six ahead of Ruth.

I hear what you're saying but BB having all the walks, let alone the IBB's you take away all of those possible plate appearances. If they in their primes were in the same lineup you're walking Barry to pitch to Willie

A few points:

1) Some stats are more important than others, batting average is probably the most important and surely the fairest of them all. Mays hit .3017 and is 187th on the BA list, it's by far his weakest category. Bonds hit .2981 and is 231st on the list (tied with Mantle), it's his third weakest category. Not much of a difference percentage-wise but being a career .300 hitter is a big deal, only 200 players have done it (note: the 201st player is credited with batting .300 but actually batted .29996).

2) Bonds by far received the most walks which took away from his at bats and therefore his hit total, no question. He still had 1448 more at bats than Ruth. If Ruth would've had the same number of ABs and would've continued the same home run pace then Ruth would've finished with 837 home runs.

3) I think triples is one of the most important stats, no matter what type of hitter you are you have to hustle to get one - there's no such thing as a "Triple Trot". Larger parks would certainly inflate Ruth's total not to mention the rest of the real oldtimers. Bonds' total of 77 however - 303rd on the triples list! - is terrible. How can a guy with his speed, power, and ability have so few.

4) I use top 200 as a litmus test, I think it's a good cutoff point. As I mentioned above, only 200 batters are career .300 hitters.

Checking out baseball stats the past 2 days has given me a newfound respect for what Ruth did, he basically only came up short at stealing bases which is understandable.

Mays has always been one of my favorite players, although his name doesn't appear at the top of any stat list it's pretty high up for most stats and it's never way down the page like Bonds or even Ruth.

Bonds has impressive stats, no doubt about it. All the walks he received hurt his totals too. If he was pitched to he wouldn't be 207th on the singles list, he might even be in the top 100 (shows how good Ruth is at 198th on the list while having 1448 fewer ABs than Bonds). Less walks would've meant more triples too but I'm quite sure he still wouldn't be top 200 in that category.

I just can't declare a less than .300 hitter who is outside the top 300 in one stat and outside the top 200 in 2 others "the greatest". And if he didn't take performance enhancing drugs his stats would've been worse.

Last edited:
1) Some stats are more important than others, batting average is probably the most important and surely the fairest of them all.
It is interesting that you say this since so many of us in the "money ball" era now view batting average as an overrated stat.

SU94 said:
This player was not THE best player, but he is severely underrated.
I think I'd have him as a top 5 offensive player ...

Rickey Henderson.

3000 hits, all those SB, was a good defender early in his career ... but what set him apart were 2 things. His ability to get on base and to score runs (most ever). And at the end of the day, isn't that really what the game is all about offensively?

If every year were a contract year, Ricky would be the best of all time hands down.

Yeah batting average is not even close to the most important stat. And triples?

The most important basic offensive stat is, pretty much by far, OBP. Correlates to runs scored better than anything else.

It is interesting that you say this since so many of us in the "money ball" era now view batting average as an overrated stat.

It's based on another bad stat: "official at bats". The only unofficial at bats are in the batting cage.

To ever live.

I want to hear a name and a reason (or many reasons) why you're attaching their name to yours.

For the fun of it let's leave out anything that ties them to cheating, addictions, off the field incidents, all of that. Who they were on the diamond and only who they were on the diamond.

Why do I use that as a qualification? Because of my pick.

It's Barry Bonds.

I would LOVE to know why you pick someone other than him. Yes I know who he was as a person and the allegations tied to him but he is the reason I fell in love with baseball statistics. I was a huge fan of baseball and then Barry sent me over the top.

My favorite statistic for Barry?

From 2001-2004, Barry Bonds played in 573 games and reached base in 539 of them. 94% of his games

WHO YA GOT?!

Ty Cobb. Played with a competitive fire that intimidated opponents on the scale of how Lawrence Taylor used to intimidate football teams. Highest career batting average. Most career stolen bases for about 50 years after his retirement and hit a pretty fair number of HRs for the dead ball era.

This player was not THE best player, but he is severely underrated.
I think I'd have him as a top 5 offensive player ...

Rickey Henderson.

3000 hits, all those SB, was a good defender early in his career ... but what set him apart were 2 things. His ability to get on base and to score runs (most ever). And at the end of the day, isn't that really what the game is all about offensively?

I believe Ricky also hit the most homers for a lead off hitter.

Love the convo -- So would your all time outfield be Barry Willie and Ruth? Griffey? Mantle? This is why I fell in love with baseball. So many top tier guys at all different generations. Incredible!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom