The Jim Boeheim Show - before Lafayette | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Lafayette

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show will likely start out on Zoom and not be at a local restaurant. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.
Their schedule: The AmeriCU Jim Boeheim Show Begins Tonight! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts

If they continue with the 90 minute format the Dino Babers Show has used, I’ll post everything the same night. If they go back to the 2 hour format, I may split it up between the items directly related to the team, which I will post that night and the other stuff, which I will post the next day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

1st Segment Question

“Coach, I’m going to start by asking the same question I asked Dino Babers on his first show this year.
There’s an old story about a coach who had a lot of good players coming back and had recruited some more good players. A reporter asked him how he is going to keep all those players happy. The coach replied “I’m not. They are going to keep me happy.” With the wide-open transfer portal, will there be any decisions made this year designed to keep players happy so we can keep the players here?”

2nd Segment Question

“Coach, looking at your recruited players, you’ve got 4 centers, 3 forwards and 3 guards plus Chaz Owens, wherever you want to put him. The rotation appears to be Jesse, Frank and then the 3 forwards for two positions and 3 guards for two positions. That’s plenty of depth if everyone remains healthy and stays out of foul trouble. If we do have problems in those areas, what centers could help out at forward, what forwards could help out at guard, what guards could help out at forward and what role will Chaz have?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I might do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

They did only the first hour – no Gomez segment. That may change later, (usually with the new year), That meant I didn’t get a chance to ask my second question, which I’ll do next Wednesday.

JB: “Five minutes ago, I was home. It was Julie who looked at the calendar and told me I’m supposed to be here at Carrabba’s. It’s good to be back here. [They did this by Zoom last year.] People don’t realize how difficult last year was, especially for the players. We’ll look back on this in 20 years – I hope! – and wonder how we got through it.”

They discussed the two exhibition games. “The object was to get into the Dome, which is hard during the football season. I wanted the players to become familiar and comfortable with the place. It’s about how you play, [not who you play]. We good movement on offense and on defense. Good movement is good against anybody. We got a lot of assists due to the shooters we have and the movement….We’re down to 8 healthy guys. John Bol will be ready soon. We’re optimistic Bourama will be back by the beginning of December. Last year kind of casts a shadow on his career. As a freshman and sophomore, he was hurt but he played. He was healthy as a junior and was playing great at the end of the year. Then he was out all last year. He’s a thin guy. Once he’s back, he can condition himself very quickly.” But what can he give us?

I called in and suggested that coach might be lost without Julie – and wouldn’t have two of his best players. He laughed and said “I was doing the same thing 30 years ago. But I do it now and people think I’m senile.” I got a second laugh by repeating a malapropism I’d heard on the radio: one of our local pundits had said of one of Coach’s players that he “can really stat the stuff sheet”. I told Jim that he had a lot of players like that.

Then I asked my question, which changed the mood a bit. JB: “No decisions will be made to keep players happy. They will be made to win games!” He knew exactly who the question was about, even though it also has a broader application. “In some cases I played Kadari when it wasn’t best for the game….Under the old rule, some guys might not have transferred because they had to sit out a year. We lost players but we got three good players within a day or two. I think our class is under-rated because we’ve got a couple of guys who didn’t play much last year. The big schools will benefit from the transfer portal. You can come out of it with a player who is more ready because he’s had experience.” He said that he noticed that Jalen Carey played 7 minutes in Rhode Island’s exhibition game and Brycen Goodine not that much for Providence. He knows these things.

Matt noted that the transfers Jim has brought in have tended to be players we recruited initially and thus had some familiarity with. JB dismissed that as a ”coincidence” but admitted that they knew about Elijah Hughes “because he played against Jimmy… Cole will score more here just because of how we play. He should be able to switch and play immediately. You can miss in recruiting and bring in 2-3 guys. If a guy comes here and plays well it may help us get more guys, We could have gotten another guy or two. We turned down 2-3 guys who were interested in coming here. There will be at least two open positions next year. It’s better to have a sound group of freshmen.”

Matt suggested “To Steve’s point, you basically have to re-recruit your team each year.” Jim: “You’re not going to keep a player here by playing him a few extra minutes if they want to play all the time…I’m more concerned with NIL it’s against the law for foreign players to make money because of their visa status.”

“We have guys who can score: Cole and Joe, Buddy and Jimmy. We don’t know Benny yet but I think he will score. That’s 5 guys who can get us 15-20 points. Last year Buddy was making everything but we weren’t balanced. Alan had lost his consistency, [or gained a new one], and Quincy wasn’t being productive. Marek held us together for four years. He’s the most under-rated player we’ve ever had. He won games for us. What he did for the offense…he beat presses by himself… We have several guys who can shoot and handle.”

Josh in Boulder called in saying that “I ‘feel it’ with this team.” He likes that we have more size and muscle up front. He asked Jim to review what he’s got at the center position. JB: “What’s most important to me is their defensive presence. We may be a little bit better there. Our centers need to catch and shoot around the basket, defend and rebound. When we roll, they should be uncovered and be able to get to the offensive boards. When Jesse rolled in the first game, he was free because they were concentrating on the guards. LeMoyne saw that and covered him, which opened things up for the guard. We made our first 5 threes, then missed 7 in a row. That’s going to happen.”

They talked about SU players in the pros. “Melo had 28 and 24 and they barely won those games. They’ve got to find other guys. Kuzma and Harrell are scoring, (for Washington). It’s not a perfect fit for Westbrook but he’s gradually fit in….Oshae is doing well with the Pacers. Elijah is in Utah, where they have too many players. Marek is busy in Eastern Europe – playing center!

Matt read off some questions from restaurant patrons. One wanted to know what it was like for Jim to have his two sons on the team. “You never think it will happen. It’s hard to play at Syracuse. We’ve had only 4-5 players form this area over the years.” Matt pointed out that at least four had come from one local high school, (Jamesville-DeWitt – Danny Schayes, Andy Rautins, Brandon Triche and DaJuan Coleman), and Jim revised that to 10-11 and then gave me the assignment of looking it up in time for next week’s show.

Elijah from Fayetteville, (not Utah), asked what Coach’s favorite ‘hype song’ was. Jim: “I don’t need one.” Matt pointed out that he always walks out to Bruce Springsteen’s music. Tom from Syracuse re-asked “What is your favorite venue for a road game?” JB: “A place where they don’t have good players.” He admitted that he likes the Bahamas and Maui.

Liz from Fayetteville asked what a ‘normal day’ was like for Jim. “Pilates if it’s Pilates day. I recommend it for anyone over age 50. Then I get ready for practice. I’m on the court at 3:30 and we got to 6PM. I tend to stay up late and sleep late. It’s not a 9-5 job where you’re doing something every minute. But if you are doing something, make sure it’s the right thing. Public relations and work for our foundation filter in from time to time. When I’m recruiting, that can take from 8AM to 10 PM. On game nights’ I’m up until midnight or 2AM. I’m on the road 150-200 days a year recruiting and doing other basketball-related things.”

Lafayette, who we play on Tuesday, has a big guy, (Neil Quinn, 7-0 280) but what they don’t have is a graduate school, which meant that they weren’t able to accommodate seniors who wanted to use their Covid year and transferred out. They also have some guys hurt. Matt: “They are playing with less than a full deck.” [That can have multiple meanings.] JB: We know who we are playing and we did scout them but the main thing is how we play. John Wooden never scouted an opponent. He said ‘We want to do what we want to do.’”

Jim’s a big fan of taking election day off. He wants his kids, (and not just Buddy and jimmy) involved in their communities and a ‘local’ election like this one was a perfect way to find out what’s happening and who is making it happen. He admitted that before he voted, he didn’t know much about some of the candidates but he had to learn. “That’s why we do charity. Make-a-wish got $800,000 from our event. This was how eric Devendorf got involved in these things.”

Matt asked Jim for his “football thoughts”. “I love this team. I love what they’ve done. People are second guessing calls and complaining about getting plays off. I saw Aaron Rodgers get a delay of game on 3rd and 1 and his team didn’t score. He ran down the sidelines celebrating that interception, (against the Cardinals). Some rookie was in the wrong position. I’ve seen Belchick make mistakes. Brady forgot it was 4th down. Our team was getting blown out last year. Not this year… Sean Tucker is great. He reminds me of Joe Morris. We need to slow down the wheel on Ernie Davis and Floyd Little. He could wear ‘0’ and he’d be great.”

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show will likely start out on Zoom and not be at a local restaurant. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.
Their schedule: The AmeriCU Jim Boeheim Show Begins Tonight! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts

If they continue with the 90 minute format the Dino Babers Show has used, I’ll post everything the same night. If they go back to the 2 hour format, I may split it up between the items directly related to the team, which I will post that night and the other stuff, which I will post the next day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

1st Segment Question

“Coach, I’m going to start by asking the same question I asked Dino Babers on his first show this year.
There’s an old story about a coach who had a lot of good players coming back and had recruited some more good players. A reporter asked him how he is going to keep all those players happy. The coach replied “I’m not. They are going to keep me happy.” With the wide-open transfer portal, will there be any decisions made this year designed to keep players happy so we can keep the players here?”

2nd Segment Question

“Coach, looking at your recruited players, you’ve got 4 centers, 3 forwards and 3 guards plus Chaz Owens, wherever you want to put him. The rotation appears to be Jesse, Frank and then the 3 forwards for two positions and 3 guards for two positions. That’s plenty of depth if everyone remains healthy and stays out of foul trouble. If we do have problems in those areas, what centers could help out at forward, what forwards could help out at guard, what guards could help out at forward and what role will Chaz have?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I might do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

They did only the first hour – no Gomez segment. That may change later, (usually with the new year), That meant I didn’t get a chance to ask my second question, which I’ll do next Wednesday.

JB: “Five minutes ago, I was home. It was Julie who looked at the calendar and told me I’m supposed to be here at Carrabba’s. It’s good to be back here. [They did this by Zoom last year.] People don’t realize how difficult last year was, especially for the players. We’ll look back on this in 20 years – I hope! – and wonder how we got through it.”

They discussed the two exhibition games. “The object was to get into the Dome, which is hard during the football season. I wanted the players to become familiar and comfortable with the place. It’s about how you play, [not who you play]. We good movement on offense and on defense. Good movement is good against anybody. We got a lot of assists due to the shooters we have and the movement….We’re down to 8 healthy guys. John Bol will be ready soon. We’re optimistic Bourama will be back by the beginning of December. Last year kind of casts a shadow on his career. As a freshman and sophomore, he was hurt but he played. He was healthy as a junior and was playing great at the end of the year. Then he was out all last year. He’s a thin guy. Once he’s back, he can condition himself very quickly.” But what can he give us?

I called in and suggested that coach might be lost without Julie – and wouldn’t have two of his best players. He laughed and said “I was doing the same thing 30 years ago. But I do it now and people think I’m senile.” I got a second laugh by repeating a malapropism I’d heard on the radio: one of our local pundits had said of one of Coach’s players that he “can really stat the stuff sheet”. I told Jim that he had a lot of players like that.

Then I asked my question, which changed the mood a bit. JB: “No decisions will be made to keep players happy. They will be made to win games!” He knew exactly who the question was about, even though it also has a broader application. “In some cases I played Kadari when it wasn’t best for the game….Under the old rule, some guys might not have transferred because they had to sit out a year. We lost players but we got three good players within a day or two. I think our class is under-rated because we’ve got a couple of guys who didn’t play much last year. The big schools will benefit from the transfer portal. You can come out of it with a player who is more ready because he’s had experience.” He said that he noticed that Jalen Carey played 7 minutes in Rhode Island’s exhibition game and Brycen Goodine not that much for Providence. He knows these things.

Matt noted that the transfers Jim has brought in have tended to be players we recruited initially and thus had some familiarity with. JB dismissed that as a ”coincidence” but admitted that they knew about Elijah Hughes “because he played against Jimmy… Cole will score more here just because of how we play. He should be able to switch and play immediately. You can miss in recruiting and bring in 2-3 guys. If a guy comes here and plays well it may help us get more guys, We could have gotten another guy or two. We turned down 2-3 guys who were interested in coming here. There will be at least two open positions next year. It’s better to have a sound group of freshmen.”

Matt suggested “To Steve’s point, you basically have to re-recruit your team each year.” Jim: “You’re not going to keep a player here by playing him a few extra minutes if they want to play all the time…I’m more concerned with NIL it’s against the law for foreign players to make money because of their visa status.”

“We have guys who can score: Cole and Joe, Buddy and Jimmy. We don’t know Benny yet but I think he will score. That’s 5 guys who can get us 15-20 points. Last year Buddy was making everything but we weren’t balanced. Alan had lost his consistency, [or gained a new one], and Quincy wasn’t being productive. Marek held us together for four years. He’s the most under-rated player we’ve ever had. He won games for us. What he did for the offense…he beat presses by himself… We have several guys who can shoot and handle.”

Josh in Boulder called in saying that “I ‘feel it’ with this team.” He likes that we have more size and muscle up front. He asked Jim to review what he’s got at the center position. JB: “What’s most important to me is their defensive presence. We may be a little bit better there. Our centers need to catch and shoot around the basket, defend and rebound. When we roll, they should be uncovered and be able to get to the offensive boards. When Jesse rolled in the first game, he was free because they were concentrating on the guards. LeMoyne saw that and covered him, which opened things up for the guard. We made our first 5 threes, then missed 7 in a row. That’s going to happen.”

They talked about SU players in the pros. “Melo had 28 and 24 and they barely won those games. They’ve got to find other guys. Kuzma and Harrell are scoring, (for Washington). It’s not a perfect fit for Westbrook but he’s gradually fit in….Oshae is doing well with the Pacers. Elijah is in Utah, where they have too many players. Marek is busy in Eastern Europe – playing center!

Matt read off some questions from restaurant patrons. One wanted to know what it was like for Jim to have his two sons on the team. “You never think it will happen. It’s hard to play at Syracuse. We’ve had only 4-5 players form this area over the years.” Matt pointed out that at least four had come from one local high school, (Jamesville-DeWitt – Danny Schayes, Andy Rautins, Brandon Triche and DaJuan Coleman), and Jim revised that to 10-11 and then gave me the assignment of looking it up in time for next week’s show.

Elijah from Fayetteville, (not Utah), asked what Coach’s favorite ‘hype song’ was. Jim: “I don’t need one.” Matt pointed out that he always walks out to Bruce Springsteen’s music. Tom from Syracuse re-asked “What is your favorite venue for a road game?” JB: “A place where they don’t have good players.” He admitted that he likes the Bahamas and Maui.

Liz from Fayetteville asked what a ‘normal day’ was like for Jim. “Pilates if it’s Pilates day. I recommend it for anyone over age 50. Then I get ready for practice. I’m on the court at 3:30 and we got to 6PM. I tend to stay up late and sleep late. It’s not a 9-5 job where you’re doing something every minute. But if you are doing something, make sure it’s the right thing. Public relations and work for our foundation filter in from time to time. When I’m recruiting, that can take from 8AM to 10 PM. On game nights’ I’m up until midnight or 2AM. I’m on the road 150-200 days a year recruiting and doing other basketball-related things.”

Lafayette, who we play on Tuesday, has a big guy, (Neil Quinn, 7-0 280) but what they don’t have is a graduate school, which meant that they weren’t able to accommodate seniors who wanted to use their Covid year and transferred out. They also have some guys hurt. Matt: “They are playing with less than a full deck.” [That can have multiple meanings.] JB: We know who we are playing and we did scout them but the main thing is how we play. John Wooden never scouted an opponent. He said ‘We want to do what we want to do.’”

Jim’s a big fan of taking election day off. He wants his kids, (and not just Buddy and jimmy) involved in their communities and a ‘local’ election like this one was a perfect way to find out what’s happening and who is making it happen. He admitted that before he voted, he didn’t know much about some of the candidates but he had to learn. “That’s why we do charity. Make-a-wish got $800,000 from our event. This was how eric Devendorf got involved in these things.”

Matt asked Jim for his “football thoughts”. “I love this team. I love what they’ve done. People are second guessing calls and complaining about getting plays off. I saw Aaron Rodgers get a delay of game on 3rd and 1 and his team didn’t score. He ran down the sidelines celebrating that interception, (against the Cardinals). Some rookie was in the wrong position. I’ve seen Belchick make mistakes. Brady forgot it was 4th down. Our team was getting blown out last year. Not this year… Sean Tucker is great. He reminds me of Joe Morris. We need to slow down the wheel on Ernie Davis and Floyd Little. He could wear ‘0’ and he’d be great.”

He was wrong about both. Carey played 27 mins and scored 16 pts and shot 6-9. Goodine was their 3rd leading scorer with 12 points on 5-9 shooting including 2-5 from 3.

He was wrong about both. Carey played 27 mins and scored 16 pts and shot 6-9. Goodine was their 3rd leading scorer with 12 points on 5-9 shooting including 2-5 from 3.
Thanks.

JB really needs to concentrate on his own team, every time he brings up last years players he puts more and more pressure on Joe

John Wooden never scouted an opponent. He said ‘We want to do what we want to do.

Wooden also had the college equivalent of the Dream Team.

When the talent disparity is that great, as it is in these exhibitions, I concur that scouting an opponent does not matter.

However, when it is not...

Jimmy's gonna have a good year if we stay healthy and his third son plays ok.

I really hope we start out with a flurry of wins. This place is gonna be like the monkeys at the zoo after every loss...

Animals Being Jerks Gorilla GIF

This one was a gem as well - "People don’t realize how difficult last year was."

Yeah, Jim, we really do. We are all very well aware of how difficult last year was.

JB must have also forgot how he was so incredibly emphatic in how the season should be played, players wanted to play, etc. His pitch was clearly along the lines of how it made no sense whatsoever (based upon the implemented protocol) not to play.

I've been around for a long time. When hasn't it been?

True.. maybe it's just the pandemic madness but feels like it's gonna be worse than the usual.

Thanks.

JB really needs to concentrate on his own team, every time he brings up last years players he puts more and more pressure on Joe
To be fair, this time, he was asked about transfers haha

Hopefully fans and media let it go once the season gets going and we have things of substance to get mad about

JB must have also forgot how he was so incredibly emphatic in how the season should be played, players wanted to play, etc. His pitch was clearly along the lines of how it made no sense whatsoever (based upon the implemented protocol) not to play.
And to be fair, he's a coach, and not a spokesperson, so I understand his point and he's not wrong. Playing in empty stadiums was hard on the kids and the return to live action in front of a fullish dome will help some of our players excel. Just wish he would take a minute with these responses and give the whole context.

To be fair, this time, he was asked about transfers haha

Hopefully fans and media let it go once the season gets going and we have things of substance to get mad about

We stop talking about the players we could/should have had when their positions are adequately filled.

We stop talking about the players we could/should have had when their positions are adequately filled.
Probably more fun to enjoy and discuss the team we have and to hear our coaches insights on our actual roster, that is probably going to be pretty good, but to each their own.

Probably more fun to enjoy and discuss the team we have and to hear our coaches insights on our actual roster, that is probably going to be pretty good, but to each their own.
Then you should suggest that Coach Boeheim stop answering the questions when posed as well. Go full Belechek.

This one was a gem as well - "People don’t realize how difficult last year was."

Yeah, Jim, we really do. We are all very well aware of how difficult last year was.

This is the hubris he’s talking about. No we don’t. We don’t have any idea. We watched the games, sure. That’s 1% of the activity the team participates in.

This is the hubris he’s talking about. No we don’t. We don’t have any idea. We watched the games, sure. That’s 1% of the activity the team participates in.
Really? You don't think I know exactly what it was like considering at had to watch my high school seniors games from my basement? Adios here.

Really? You don't think I know exactly what it was like considering at had to watch my high school seniors games from my basement? Adios here.

Yeah I mean some of us had a personal hell to live through far beyond just inconvenience these past two years. It's definitely a poor take.

I'm not gonna bore everyone with my own saddest/crappiest year on record but we do know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors