The latest all encompassing recruiting thread | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

The latest all encompassing recruiting thread

Don't fall for the propaganda its just because we have 10 and teams around us have 7 and Alabama has 5 but 4 are 4 stars. Ratings are just cumulative numbers of each player, the more recruits the higher the score. Has nothing to do with quality just quantity. When everyone gets their 23-25 we'll see where we end up. Alot as always will have to do with if we have a winning record and go to a bowl.

Don't fall for the propaganda its just because we have 10 and teams around us have 7 and Alabama has 5 but 4 are 4 stars. Ratings are just cumulative numbers of each player, the more recruits the higher the score. Has nothing to do with quality just quantity. When everyone gets their 23-25 we'll see where we end up. Alot as always will have to do with if we have a winning record and go to a bowl.

Uh, we know that. Having said that, it IS fun to be ranked higher than 'Bama at this snapshot in time.

Why not just loosen up and celebrate the moment?

There is nothing to celebrate. In fact our avg per player which is a more accurate number for ranking is pretty low.
90EB9CF4-EDDF-4F14-B8EB-0BDE32812CBB.gif

1590369525040.jpeg

Lying to yourself is now considered optimism? People must lie to themselves a lot to feel better.
When can we be happy? Personally, I look at the rankings, but I am happy whenever a kid chooses Syracuse. Especially this early. It means the coaches really want him. They know better than the recruiting services. Also, because the kid has chosen to play for my favorite team. Another building block. This kid may end up all american or maybe never even start a game, but at this point, none of us know.

When can we be happy? Personally, I look at the rankings, but I am happy whenever a kid chooses Syracuse. Especially this early. It means the coaches really want him. They know better than the recruiting services. Also, because the kid has chosen to play for my favorite team. Another building block. This kid may end up all american or maybe never even start a game, but at this point, none of us know.
I am happy when a good player chooses SU, rankings when we know they're skewed not so much.
Just because they commit to SU doesn't automatically make them better than others committing to other schools. We do know because of deductive reasoning and statistical trends over decades.

I am happy when a good player chooses SU, rankings when we know they're skewed not so much.
Just because they commit to SU doesn't automatically make them better than others committing to other schools. We do know because of deductive reasoning and statistical trends over decades.
How do you judge a “good player”?

Dude no problem with your non orange glasses opinion but can you put it in the all included recruiting thread and not the young mans commitment thread or if your gonna do it here then watch his film and look at the other data and present the positives and then the things ya think he needs to work on. Saying he isn't good is lazy especially in a thread typically used to congratulate. Welcome aboard Roon. Kick some @$$ and don’t take any prisoners!

FEFB6F79-0FDB-43E9-9826-980ED124CE9E.gif

It's not just SU with the early quantity. This time last year UVA only had 5 commits. This year they already have 13.
LOOK AT NORTH CAROLINA!!!!! Remember that conversation you and I had about coaches who are great recruiters recruiting anywhere they go. I think you called it "the Mac Brown effect". Man they are loading up

Uh, we know that. Having said that, it IS fun to be ranked higher than 'Bama at this snapshot in time.

Why not just loosen up and celebrate the moment?

hard to celebrate after his long walk down from the mountaintop ... prolly winded

LOOK AT NORTH CAROLINA!!!!! Remember that conversation you and I had about coaches who are great recruiters recruiting anywhere they go. I think you called it "the Mac Brown effect". Man they are loading up

he got that old tobacco money in bags usually reserved for BBall

Dude no problem with your non orange glasses opinion but can you put it in the all included recruiting thread and not the young mans commitment thread or if your gonna do it here then watch his film and look at the other data and present the positives and then the things ya think he needs to work on. Saying he isn't good is lazy especially in a thread typically used to congratulate. Welcome aboard Roon. Kick some @$$ and don’t take any prisoners!

View attachment 181704
I did not say any specific recruit isn't good. Your strenuous twisting of someone's words and then onto a strawman conclusion is what happens on the internet and on these boards too often. Maybe I was wrong to put general statements into a specific thread but I was responding to a general statement also not anything specific.

There is nothing to celebrate. Our avg per player is pretty low.
It's always been pretty low under HCDB currently 2nd last in ACC to BC (new coach) and behind the following AAC TEAMS

East Carolina
Cincy
SMU
USF
Memphis
UCF

Its "recruiting backwards" but lets hope we get our best recruits to fill out the back half of our class. Heck we just got our highest rated player yesterday at the halfway point in the class. NO MORE 1 and 2 only P5 offer players please. Leta go Orange!!!

Last edited:
It's always been pretty low under HCDB currently 2nd last in ACC to BC (new coach) and behind the following AAC TEAMS

East Carolina
Cincy
SMU
USF
Memphis
UCF

Its "recruiting backwards" but lets hope we get our best recruits to fill out the back half of our class. Heck we just signed our highest rated player yesterday at the halfway point in the class. NO MORE 1 and 2 only P5 offer players please. Leta go Orange!!!
You seem like the type of person that thinks preseason rankings should be based on recruiting rankings

You seem like the type of person that thinks preseason rankings should be based on recruiting rankings
Why do you say that????? Preseason rankings should be based on the team going into the season. Recruiting rankings would be ranked by incoming recruits. In most cases incoming freshman unless they are pretty highly rated dont effect preseason rankings.

To illustrate I think we had 2 maybe 3 true freshman play last year and none was even 2nd string. Of course this could change if we grab a few high recruits who can step in day one and be starters or add quality depth. Ironically this kid while not highly rated has the tools to do that for us having lost the starters last year. Lets hope so. Finally I believe recruiting is a leading indicator of what/where your team will be in two or three years. So if we have another bottom 3rd ACC class this year, in 2 years we will probably be bottom 3rd ACC again.

I know everyone would like multiple 4 star recruits but I have faith in the staffs’ ability to evaluate talent. I would not get caught up in the star ratings. They are a joke. Last year van dike was an 88 when we were recruiting him. When he signed with Miami he went to almost a 93. Roon was an 85 almost an 86. He commits to su he goes down to an 841. The better indicator is how they will fit the team. I have always said “I would rather take a three star with heart versus a four star with a big head.”
Once these players get a four or five star they seem to only want to go to the same programs. Then two years later they are in the transfer portal.
We have a lot of good players at a number of positions. The main weakness has been the oline. I am hoping for big improvement this year. If not I have all the confidence that HCDB will make the right move.

You ever notice that the people on here that say "our recruiting is good", never give you a reason why we went 2 and 7 vs the Power 5 teams. All they do is criticize Syracuse and say no players want to come to Syracuse that are 4 or 5 stars. Its too cold (we play in a Dome at 70 degrees) and a bunch of other lame excuses. Its fascinating that they will criticize you but NEVER ever give you a reason for a few 4 and 5 win seasons with one GREAT winning season among them. Hold your head high friend. The majority of fellow Syracuse fans on this site feel the same as you. They just dont post because of thosee those 100 regulars bash them. They do it to me also but Whitman taught me to actually look at facts and come to a logical conclusion based on those facts.

The fact is that our recruiting has been among the worst in the entire P5 with HCDB here at Syracuse. This is by any objective metric. The excuses for our poor recruiting are just those excuses. But here is the kicker. The same people on this site that say "the recruiting is great" will praise a 2star guy with 1 P5 offer and talk about how good he is on tape, celebrate his MAC, AAC and D2 offers. And make excuses why we dont land the BETTER players in some cases on his same team who is a 4 or 5 star and say "stars dont matter" etc etc. Its makes me laugh everytime I see it. Bless them we all want Syracuse to win. Lets hope we get to 7 wins next year with essentially all HCDB players on the roster. No more excuses.
Re: the cold: you realize the complaint isn't about games or practice, right.

Re: the cold: you realize the complaint isn't about games or practice, right.
Yes and I realize its cold in BC WV, OH, WASH, Wis, Minn, Ill, Pitt, Mich, PA and the schools in those states and cities dont have a problem recruiting. Also they play and in some cases practice in the cold which would be more of a deterrent in theory. Or is "the cold" just another excuse as I think.

I know everyone would like multiple 4 star recruits but I have faith in the staffs’ ability to evaluate talent. I would not get caught up in the star ratings. They are a joke. Last year van dike was an 88 when we were recruiting him. When he signed with Miami he went to almost a 93. Roon was an 85 almost an 86. He commits to su he goes down to an 841. The better indicator is how they will fit the team. I have always said “I would rather take a three star with heart versus a four star with a big head.”
Once these players get a four or five star they seem to only want to go to the same programs. Then two years later they are in the transfer portal.
We have a lot of good players at a number of positions. The main weakness has been the oline. I am hoping for big improvement this year. If not I have all the confidence that HCDB will make the right move.
I think our recruiting has been incredibly bad. All of the recruiting services show us this. Regardless if you go by amount of stars, amount of other P5 offers or avg recruit rating on 2-4-7. Bottom 3 or 4 of ACC every single year. But even worse has been the performance on the field. So again if you think the recruiting is lets just say at a average to above avg level, why have we been soooooooo bad under HCDB? To help you in this argument let's throw out the records. Like a MAC team every year we have had a surprise upset win each year under HCDB. Like a MAC, or non P5 team we have been totally annihilated by other P5 teams every single year. Every single year in humiliating fashion were we didnt even belong on the field. Lets look at a couple to review
Games under HCDB
Year 1
*Lamar Jackson had 610yds from scrimmage on us. The most in ACC (and Big East) history for a single game. And a school record for both teams for and against. Let's just move on from this place in history we will hold probably forever.
*Deshone Kizer threw for 465yds vs us a near all time record for ND
*Clemson beat us 54-0 playing walkons late in 3rd quarter
*FLST had 45 rushes 334 7.4ypr
Pitt 79 points. Set a ACC, Big EAST, P5 and FBS record for points vs a P5 team. 79points. Another history book entry for Syracuse under HCDB

Year 2
*Mid Tenn ST came into the dome beat us and carried him off like he won the national championship. He literally had a victory cigar at the post game presser. UNBELIEVABLE!
*A 6 win Wake Forest team comes into the dome and rattles off 734yards from scrimmage. Yet another record vs us. Their qb had 499 yds total offense
*The next week Louisville sets a record vs us. 727yds total offense on us

Year 3
In a WIN over a MAC team. We give up 621 yds to a MAC team. A receiver has 240yds receiving vs us and the starting rb 11rusher 120yds 2tds. This is a MAC team smh. Guess how many team records they recorder vs us.
* Quadree Ollison from Buffalo NY ( lightly recruited by HCSS) kills us for 192 rushing yards and heartbreaking OT loss for Syracuse. I dont really blame HCDB as it wasnt his staff that by in large passed on the local kid. It was his team that Ollison embarrassed
* This game is only listed because of the final drive when Dabo in his words "looked at his O-line and rb (top ACC) and looked at our defense (MAC) and decided to literally run it down our throats the whole field for the game winning TD. Final Drive 13 plays 96yds. 12 rushes for 76yds with clock winding down and our coaches not taking timeouts to preserve clock for a comeback attempt.
* NC win. I am only including this game because like a MAC team we were almost upset by a team with 1 FBS win at home and gave up 500yds offense and had to rally to force OT behind backup qb. If not for Tommy "TD" Devito
*ND in another humiliating loss that encapsulates the need to improve our recruiting ESPECIALLY in the trenches (O-line, DT's) after this game alot of the our recruiting is great bunch took notice. It was impossible to miss. They totally dominated the trenches. We looked worse with 105yds total offense in the 4th quarter and them up 29-0 with backup linemen. In fact they beat us soooooo bad that in the post presser and ND paper, Kelly and some of the players remarked it was the easiest game of the season for them. And it was. Pitt and MAC team Ball St were 1 possession wins for them.

Year 4- Coming off a 10 win season and with many people on this very thread screaming we would win 10-12 games and challenge Clemson for ACC supremacy, I analyzed our 3 recruiting classes under HCDB and predicted a 6 win season ONLY because we had a light light easy schedule. The funny thing is many of the people now engaged in this very thread roasted me relentlessly. Totally ignored the recruiting warnings that I raised and would literally say "look at all the offers our recruits had when a guy had ZERO P5 offers and some MAC and a bunch of Stonybrook type offers. Our schedule last year consisted of
UMD-a total mess! Player died, coaches fired, players transferring total nightmare program which would ultimately win 3 games all year
Liberty, Holy Cross, Western Michigan (MAC sacrifical lamb) FLST coming of a 5 win season new coach, qb uncertainty, and a bunch of teams that basically were .500 +Clemson, which would be tough. If we were good, it should've been a easy 8 win year. If our prior recruiting classes weren't bottom 4 ACC and P5 every year it would've been. But here is what is never mentioned on here. Those 9 or 10 ACC teams that had higher rated recruiting class the two years would be better than us because they were getting better players. I saw that, I said that and it happened. Year 4 was a unmitigated disaster. Our trench play literally was among the worst in all of FBS. Week in and week out we were thrashed and many of the records teams put up vs us in the previous 3 years under HCDB were threatened and some fell. Folkse I see it happening again with THIS recruiting class. Its not over but we need to fill out this class with ACC 10 level recruits with 7 or more P5 offers. Again I dont care about the stars BUT look at what the other SCC teams are doing in recruiting. Look at the insane class NC is putting together (top 5 at the moment) and they have a few 5 star and high 4 stars they are yet to add. Look at Pitt#23, Lousiville #29, GT#30 FLST (they are back)! Each of these teams have difference makers who will start or contribute vs us next year. We have to add a couple players that will break into out 2deep. At the moment I dont see 1. So we essentially will be relying on the same guys from last year minus our best O-lineman and 2 stud defensive linemen. Hate to say i but at the moment I see another 5 win season

Thanks for this sentence, saved me from reading your full post.
Pretty much sums it up...too bad it played out on the field that way last year. I really hoped that I was wrong when I saw a 6 win team, I was smh. But you were insane with your win predictions, and I guess praise of our recruiting classes. At some point you gotta be honest bro

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom