The latest all encompassing recruiting thread | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

The latest all encompassing recruiting thread

Pretty much sums it up...too bad it played out on the field that way last year. I really hoped that I was wrong when I saw a 6 win team, I was smh. But you were insane with your win predictions, and I guess praise of our recruiting classes. At some point you gotta be honest bro
Yeah weird that a low 3 star kid in Bergeron ended up saving it from being a 2-10 season after a highly coveted Grad Transfer quit the team. We went 10-3 with "incredibly bad" recruiting as you put it, and I don't want to hear that Dino won with Shafer's guys.

Fact of the matter is the recruiting sites cater to the schools with the most subscriptions.

We recruit with a lot of limitations, and the staff has done a great job. The main issue is the lack of a QB recruit, which is an actual problem. The rest of the bodies on the field aren't a problem.

Yeah weird that a low 3 star kid in Bergeron ended up saving it from being a 2-10 season after a highly coveted Grad Transfer quit the team. We went 10-3 with "incredibly bad" recruiting as you put it, and I don't want to hear that Dino won with Shafer's guys.

Fact of the matter is the recruiting sites cater to the schools with the most subscriptions.

We recruit with a lot of limitations, and the staff has done a great job. The main issue is the lack of a QB recruit, which is an actual problem. The rest of the bodies on the field aren't a problem.
Bro your really really reaching. I know how pained you were last year watching my prediction come true week after week so normally i would give you a pass...... but not this time.

Perhaps the most ridiculous thing you have posted this year is
"Bergeron ended up saving it from being a 2-10 season after a highly coveted Grad Transfer quit the team"- First of all Bergeron didn't save the season from being 2-10. HOW could he. We won 2 games with him starting Duke 49-6 and the Trill game in OT vs Wake. Your really reaching

Second and even more ridiculous, might be the alltime most ridiculous statment you have ever posted is about The Sunbelt conference G. You and I (and your the recruiting is great group) literally got into a long argument about him. I pointed out he was a honarable mention not 1-3rd all team all conference in his conference. So he was the eigth best T in the Sunbelt. THE SUNBELT CONFERENCE!!! We argued this. You liked him I, and I didnt want a Sunbelt player starting at T with a 1st time starting QB. Heck I dont even want MAC or AAC players lol. And he wasn't coveted except by the "the recruiting is great crowd". Dude I literally cant believe you made those two statements. That shows how weak your argument is. Go back to just reading bro. I mean no disrespect but probably best you sit this one out bro

Bro your really really reaching. I know how pained you were last year watching my prediction come true week after week so normally i would give you a pass... but not this time.

"Bergeron ended up saving it from being a 2-10 season after a highly coveted Grad Transfer quit the team"- First of all Bergeron didn't save the season from being 2-10. HOW could he. We won 2 games with him starting Duke 49-6 and the Trill game in OT vs Wake. Your really reaching

Second and even more ridiculous, might be the alltime most ridiculous statment you have ever posted is about The Sunbelt conference G. You and I (and your the recruiting is great group) literally got into a long argument about him. I pointed out he was a honarable mention not 1-3rd all team all conference in his conference. So he was the eigth best T in the Sunbelt. THE SUNBELT CONFERENCE!!! We argued this. You liked him I, and I didnt want a Sunbelt player starting at T with a 1st time starting QB. Heck I dont even want MAC or AAC players lol. And he wasn't coveted except by the "the recruiting is great crowd". Dude I literally cant believe you made those two statements. That shows how weak your argument is. Go back to just reading bro. I mean no disrespect but probably best you sit this one out bro
:eek:

Pretty much sums it up...too bad it played out on the field that way last year. I really hoped that I was wrong when I saw a 6 win team, I was smh. But you were insane with your win predictions, and I guess praise of our recruiting classes. At some point you gotta be honest bro
lol man your fingers got to be tired from typing all this stuff that we already know and have been discussing here for years. What evidence do you have that makes you think we should be recruiting at a higher level? What have we've done since 2004 besides be one of the most mediocre P5 programs in the country? You might want to look at some of those classes Robinson Marrone and Shafer brought in. Avg recruit ranking was like 80. That's for a 15 year stretch. This is what we are until we win consecutive bowl games and consistently finish above .500

Last edited:
lol man your fingers got to be tired from typing all this stuff that we already know and have been discussing here for years. What evidence do you have that makes you think we should be recruiting at a higher level? What have we've done since 2004 besides be one of the mediocre P5 programs in the country? You might want to look at some of those classes Robinson Marrone and Shafer brought in. Avg recruit ranking was like 80. That's for a 15 year stretch. This is what we are until we win consecutive bowl games and consistently finish above .500
You make some good points and i know about our past failures. So you think we wont get good recruits until we win consecutive bowl games?

You make some good points and i know about our past failures. So you think we wont get good recruits until we win consecutive bowl games?
Yes when you consistently lose, your recruiting classes is going to reflect that. Hard to win battles with kids with multiple p5 offers of teams we aren't normally better than. That and the lack of having quality players in our grounds. We have win battles in other states to fill our roster. Not a easy task.

Yes when you consistently lose, your recruiting classes is going to reflect that. Hard to win battles with kids with multiple p5 offers of teams we aren't normally better than. That and the lack of having quality players in our grounds. We have win battles in other states to fill our roster. Not a easy task.

Exactly how I feel. We need to get a couple winning seasons together to get some momentum

Gen Joe - on another note. People may be more receptive to your viewpoint if this wasn't literally the only thing you ever posted about. I know there are some people that I disagree strongly with on some things but see we have common ground on other issues, so I am more receptive to their viewpoints that we differ on. I don't even disagree with you that recruting needs to improve but that's all we ever hear from you.

Bro your really really reaching. I know how pained you were last year watching my prediction come true week after week so normally i would give you a pass... but not this time.

If those are the most ridiculous things I've posted this year I guess that means I'm a pretty rational poster. So proud of you for taking a contrarian stance so your "prediction" that we'd lose 7 games could come true. Must be fun as a fan to root for failure.

Bergeron did save our season, sorry I was one win off, we would have been 3-9 if he didn't come in and stabilize the line.

Also, when a player has multiple choices, he's highly sought after. Once again, sorry I was wrong expecting a kid at the top of his game in another conference to not be able to take a step up, as many players do when they go from college to the NFL.

P.S. Using "bro" a million times doesn't help your arguments. Grow up, speak like an adult.

If those are the most ridiculous things I've posted this year I guess that means I'm a pretty rational poster. So proud of you for taking a contrarian stance so your "prediction" that we'd lose 7 games could come true. Must be fun as a fan to root for failure.

Bergeron did save our season, sorry I was one win off, we would have been 3-9 if he didn't come in and stabilize the line.

Also, when a player has multiple choices, he's highly sought after. Once again, sorry I was wrong expecting a kid at the top of his game in another conference to not be able to take a step up, as many players do when they go from college to the NFL.

P.S. Using "bro" a million times doesn't help your arguments. Grow up, speak like an adult.

Can we vote on the use of "bro"? I kind of like it. Makes me feel younger and more hip.

I think our recruiting has been incredibly bad. All of the recruiting services show us this. Regardless if you go by amount of stars, amount of other P5 offers or avg recruit rating on 2-4-7. Bottom 3 or 4 of ACC every single year. But even worse has been the performance on the field. So again if you think the recruiting is lets just say at a average to above avg level, why have we been soooooooo bad under HCDB? To help you in this argument let's throw out the records. Like a MAC team every year we have had a surprise upset win each year under HCDB. Like a MAC, or non P5 team we have been totally annihilated by other P5 teams every single year. Every single year in humiliating fashion were we didnt even belong on the field. Lets look at a couple to review
Games under HCDB
Year 1
*Lamar Jackson had 610yds from scrimmage on us. The most in ACC (and Big East) history for a single game. And a school record for both teams for and against. Let's just move on from this place in history we will hold probably forever.
*Deshone Kizer threw for 465yds vs us a near all time record for ND
*Clemson beat us 54-0 playing walkons late in 3rd quarter
*FLST had 45 rushes 334 7.4ypr
Pitt 79 points. Set a ACC, Big EAST, P5 and FBS record for points vs a P5 team. 79points. Another history book entry for Syracuse under HCDB

Year 2
*Mid Tenn ST came into the dome beat us and carried him off like he won the national championship. He literally had a victory cigar at the post game presser. UNBELIEVABLE!
*A 6 win Wake Forest team comes into the dome and rattles off 734yards from scrimmage. Yet another record vs us. Their qb had 499 yds total offense
*The next week Louisville sets a record vs us. 727yds total offense on us

Year 3
In a WIN over a MAC team. We give up 621 yds to a MAC team. A receiver has 240yds receiving vs us and the starting rb 11rusher 120yds 2tds. This is a MAC team smh. Guess how many team records they recorder vs us.
* Quadree Ollison from Buffalo NY ( lightly recruited by HCSS) kills us for 192 rushing yards and heartbreaking OT loss for Syracuse. I dont really blame HCDB as it wasnt his staff that by in large passed on the local kid. It was his team that Ollison embarrassed
* This game is only listed because of the final drive when Dabo in his words "looked at his O-line and rb (top ACC) and looked at our defense (MAC) and decided to literally run it down our throats the whole field for the game winning TD. Final Drive 13 plays 96yds. 12 rushes for 76yds with clock winding down and our coaches not taking timeouts to preserve clock for a comeback attempt.
* NC win. I am only including this game because like a MAC team we were almost upset by a team with 1 FBS win at home and gave up 500yds offense and had to rally to force OT behind backup qb. If not for Tommy "TD" Devito
*ND in another humiliating loss that encapsulates the need to improve our recruiting ESPECIALLY in the trenches (O-line, DT's) after this game alot of the our recruiting is great bunch took notice. It was impossible to miss. They totally dominated the trenches. We looked worse with 105yds total offense in the 4th quarter and them up 29-0 with backup linemen. In fact they beat us soooooo bad that in the post presser and ND paper, Kelly and some of the players remarked it was the easiest game of the season for them. And it was. Pitt and MAC team Ball St were 1 possession wins for them.

Year 4- Coming off a 10 win season and with many people on this very thread screaming we would win 10-12 games and challenge Clemson for ACC supremacy, I analyzed our 3 recruiting classes under HCDB and predicted a 6 win season ONLY because we had a light light easy schedule. The funny thing is many of the people now engaged in this very thread roasted me relentlessly. Totally ignored the recruiting warnings that I raised and would literally say "look at all the offers our recruits had when a guy had ZERO P5 offers and some MAC and a bunch of Stonybrook type offers. Our schedule last year consisted of
UMD-a total mess! Player died, coaches fired, players transferring total nightmare program which would ultimately win 3 games all year
Liberty, Holy Cross, Western Michigan (MAC sacrifical lamb) FLST coming of a 5 win season new coach, qb uncertainty, and a bunch of teams that basically were .500 +Clemson, which would be tough. If we were good, it should've been a easy 8 win year. If our prior recruiting classes weren't bottom 4 ACC and P5 every year it would've been. But here is what is never mentioned on here. Those 9 or 10 ACC teams that had higher rated recruiting class the two years would be better than us because they were getting better players. I saw that, I said that and it happened. Year 4 was a unmitigated disaster. Our trench play literally was among the worst in all of FBS. Week in and week out we were thrashed and many of the records teams put up vs us in the previous 3 years under HCDB were threatened and some fell. Folkse I see it happening again with THIS recruiting class. Its not over but we need to fill out this class with ACC 10 level recruits with 7 or more P5 offers. Again I dont care about the stars BUT look at what the other SCC teams are doing in recruiting. Look at the insane class NC is putting together (top 5 at the moment) and they have a few 5 star and high 4 stars they are yet to add. Look at Pitt#23, Lousiville #29, GT#30 FLST (they are back)! Each of these teams have difference makers who will start or contribute vs us next year. We have to add a couple players that will break into out 2deep. At the moment I dont see 1. So we essentially will be relying on the same guys from last year minus our best O-lineman and 2 stud defensive linemen. Hate to say i but at the moment I see another 5 win season

We get it, we have been pretty shitty. I really cant argue against it. I'm impressed with how passionate you still are about cuse football given the years of mediocrity and I mean that sincerely.

Syracuse is by far the hardest ACC school and probably the hardest P5 school in the country.

1) terrible location for local recruits
2) weather will and always will be an issue
3) private school with limited donors
4) harder of the two divisions
5) can’t fill the dome

with that being said, I do have to say, we have done fairly well. I don’t think we have done a great job in grabbing talent from nyc, ct and nj to develop pipelines for higher level recruits in the future. But then again we will never compete against psu and osu, so maybe the rational is go after 3rd level tier in Florida and hope for the best.

we NEED to win this year!

2nd DL offer announced today should tell everyone theyre not done recruiting the position.

Exactly how I feel. We need to get a couple winning seasons together to get some momentum

Gen Joe - on another note. People may be more receptive to your viewpoint if this wasn't literally the only thing you ever posted about. I know there are some people that I disagree strongly with on some things but see we have common ground on other issues, so I am more receptive to their viewpoints that we differ on. I don't even disagree with you that recruting needs to improve but that's all we ever hear from you.
I don't want to speak for General Joe but there is so many Ra Ra types already posting, I tend not to post on those positive vibes because the board has already has this covered. I personally don' think of each post as a poster but rather an idea, I don't know the poster, I don't take any idea personally, I just think the general tenor on this board is the blind optimist and other points of view need to be posted too. Just my thought. We're all fans. We all want SU to win, some think we're always on the brink of success while others don't see it and we're just spinning our tires. All sides should be able to post without personal attacks. I'm personally a I'll believe it when I see it, and right now I ain't seen it. Just 2018

Syracuse is by far the hardest ACC school and probably the hardest P5 school in the country.

1) terrible location for local recruits
2) weather will and always will be an issue
3) private school with limited donors
4) harder of the two divisions
5) can’t fill the dome

with that being said, I do have to say, we have done fairly well. I don’t think we have done a great job in grabbing talent from nyc, ct and nj to develop pipelines for higher level recruits in the future. But then again we will never compete against psu and osu, so maybe the rational is go after 3rd level tier in Florida and hope for the best.

we NEED to win this year!
Come on, how hard is this as a sell :)

One was a juco. I like that because we dont have a lot of upperclassmen at the position. Those 3 seniors will be big losses. They played a lot of snaps.
yeah the Strong offer was good to see. Hopefully we position ourselves well with that Juco

One was a juco. I like that because we dont have a lot of upperclassmen at the position. Those 3 seniors will be big losses. They played a lot of snaps.

The JUCO kid looks like a big time player. He'll be a 3 to play 3 player to as he redshirted this year. That's nice. I assume they'll sell the heck out of Alton.

No bro. You get to sit this one out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom