The latest all encompassing recruiting thread | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The latest all encompassing recruiting thread

Looks like we'll go into the off-season with 2 scholarship openings.

You think we're only adding 4 more recruits on Wednesday?

Unless there is a super secret surprise that's the way I see it. The 3 plus Carter. Nobody public has our hat on table. If there is a surprise I can't see it being A-lister that would be some secret.

There have been no rumors and nothing public. And while CL said there were other visitors I don't believe they are considered blue chip kids. There is really no benefit to a blue chip kid with options to keep anything quiet.

Unless there is a super secret surprise that's the way I see it. The 3 plus Carter. Nobody public has our hat on table. If there is a surprise I can't see it being A-lister that would be some secret.

There have been no rumors and nothing public. And while CL said there were other visitors I don't believe they are considered blue chip kids. There is really no benefit to a blue chip kid with options to keep anything quiet.

If someone was going to flip, they would keep it quiet until Wednesday.

If someone was going to flip, they would keep it quiet until Wednesday.

Good point. I didn't consider that.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a signing day flip in favor of Syracuse. I'd love to see one as long as it's from a P5.

Good point. I didn't consider that.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a signing day flip in favor of Syracuse. I'd love to see one as long as it's from a P5.

Brandon Sharpe? Or did he flip a few days before signing day?

Brandon Sharpe? Or did he flip a few days before signing day?

Sharpe flipped but committed just before signing day coming of his official visit which was that last weekend.

Or lack there of. You know it’s just a shame that we have absolutely no players in terms of division one quality in our backyard and we have to go compete with every single other team in whatever state that were in and you know we have some of the things that teams use against us like weather and whatever else they are using but weather is pretty much the main thing that is a big problem for us but at the same time I thought we would do better! like why do we start out so slow every single year? that is the biggest beef with me right now. It seems like every single year we start out with guys that you know we’re beating our mid major teams and we should be better than that

I was hoping things will pick up especially with the whole Dome renovation thing, I thought that would help and it probably will but you know that’s me being impatient but will just have to wait and see how this class turns out. I’m sure things will pick up

Last edited:
I feel to much stock is placed in the ranking of the recruiting sites for stars. Yes it would be nice to get a five star but the reality is that these kids want to go to a select set of schools no matter how deep the roster and then transfer. It is like someone said to me once “you are dealing with 17 year old kids” logic does not always dictate.
Another thing that may hinder our recruiting, but it is a positive, is I feel the staff is very honest with the recruits. They are not just telling them what they want to hear. They are telling them the truth. I believe one of our 2020 commits commented that when he visited the current players confirmed statements of the coaches which confirmed they were being honest. I feel this is the better approach. It is why I feel we have so few players enter the portal versus other schools.
Also, I like the current comments a lot. Smart, great size and committed to play at su. I feel our staff is very good at evaluating talent. It seems once we offer a number of other programs jump in and offer. Now it would be great if the player appreciated that SU coaches saw their ability and potential and respected that and realized the commitment to them. However that is logic and as I said before “you are dealing with 17 year old kids”.

I feel to much stock is placed in the ranking of the recruiting sites for stars. Yes it would be nice to get a five star but the reality is that these kids want to go to a select set of schools no matter how deep the roster and then transfer. It is like someone said to me once “you are dealing with 17 year old kids” logic does not always dictate.
Another thing that may hinder our recruiting, but it is a positive, is I feel the staff is very honest with the recruits. They are not just telling them what they want to hear. They are telling them the truth. I believe one of our 2020 commits commented that when he visited the current players confirmed statements of the coaches which confirmed they were being honest. I feel this is the better approach. It is why I feel we have so few players enter the portal versus other schools.
Also, I like the current comments a lot. Smart, great size and committed to play at su. I feel our staff is very good at evaluating talent. It seems once we offer a number of other programs jump in and offer. Now it would be great if the player appreciated that SU coaches saw their ability and potential and respected that and realized the commitment to them. However that is logic and as I said before “you are dealing with 17 year old kids”.
Rankings don’t mean much? It’s funny how Alabama, Ohio State, LSU and Clemson get all the highest ranked players and are always the top teams.

I suggest reading some of the recruitment threads before saying something like this. There are many people on the board who understand what the staff is doing, the type of players being targeted, and how crootin' is different this year.

Cuse isn't going to get blue chippers. It's just how things are.

We really need a new thread for this every day? Are you just getting here and haven’t seen this same conversation 20 times already this year that you feel the need for yet another new thread about it?

It’s F’n April, not December. If the staff is offering and accepting commitments this early then they have evaluated the kids and feel they are a good fit and can play at the ACC level.

Last year the same crap when Benson committed with no other P5 offers. People go nuts whenever the Orange land a 4 star recruit and get ready for their HOF induction ceremony - and yet they hardly ever pan out.

We really need a new thread for this every day? Are you just getting here and haven’t seen this same conversation 20 times already this year that you feel the need for yet another new thread about it?

It’s F’n April, not December. If the staff is offering and accepting commitments this early then they have evaluated the kids and feel they are a good fit and can play at the ACC level.

Last year the same crap when Benson committed with no other P5 offers. People go nuts whenever the Orange land a 4 star recruit and get ready for their HOF induction ceremony - and yet they hardly ever pan out.

This. All of this.

Choosing NOW to gripe about recruiting, when we’ve just landed a bunch of guys, and are waaaay ahead in terms of #’s from where we typically are at this point, is just ridiculous
:rolleyes:

Dino & crew have shown a very good eye for talent to date, and every one of these kids seems to have excellent speed and measurables.

(Especially as compared to all the smurfs that FHCSMFS’ staff typically landed)

We’re likely never going to consistently land 4* kids - just too many things working against us, not least of which was the nearly 2 decades of ineptitude prior to 2018.

We need to string together multiple winning seasons and bowl game appearances, before many of the better recruits will realistically consider Syracuse.

Dino, the new Dome, and winning will take care of everything.

Think people were fairly excited when we got Benson. I remember listing him as one of my favorite recruits in that class due to his freak size/speed ratio.

Or lack there of. You know it’s just a shame that we have absolutely no players in terms of division one quality in our backyard and we have to go compete with every single other team in whatever state that were in and you know we have some of the things that teams use against us like weather and whatever else they are using but weather is pretty much the main thing that is a big problem for us but at the same time I thought we would do better! like why do we start out so slow every single year? that is the biggest beef with me right now. It seems like every single year we start out with guys that you know we’re beating our mid major teams and we should be better than that
The reigning NFC DPOY is from our backyard

Not sure why you thought it would be different. A program that has struggled the last 20 years, one of the least fertile recruiting grounds and is in a middle of a pandemic. If there is any cycle we shouldn't complain about early commits its this one. Our struggles wont change until we are able to put together multiple years of bowl game appearances.

Last edited:
Think people were fairly excited when we got Benson. I remember listing him as one of my favorite recruits in that class due to his freak size/speed ratio.
Just looked at his thread again - as with all our commits there were people that were excited, but the first few reactions were - "what do we know that other P5s don't know", not impressed with the offer list, but hopefully the staff found a hidden gem, "not sure why we're after this grunt of a TE" - and this kid was after they evaluated him at their camp. Later in the thread people were still speculating he might be useful at DE and even bulking him up to be an OT.

I think this staff is great at evaluating HS talent - great at it. If they're accepting commits in April and May, then I'm going to assume these kids are going to be valuable contributors to the program and I'm excited - I don't care who else has offered / has not offered at this stage.

If kids are being offered in December after their senior season ans still don't have any other offers - then I get skeptical - but not now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom