The latest all encompassing recruiting thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

The latest all encompassing recruiting thread

I think this staff is great at evaluating HS talent - great at it. If they're accepting commits in April and May, then I'm going to assume these kids are going to be valuable contributors to the program and I'm excited - I don't care who else has offered / has not offered at this stage.

If the staff is taking them at this time, they believe they are going to be starters at least, potentially early in their careers. No one is looking for diamonds in the rough in April and May. Agree 100 % with your post.

Some of the doom and gloom people that post here, sometimes I wonder if they are just trolling. Especially doing it after a flurry of activity.

Some of the doom and gloom people that post here, sometimes I wonder if they are just trolling. Especially doing it after a flurry of activity.

I think there is that.

Personally, i am skeptical that our talent evaluators are all that much better than anyone else's. When a kid lives a two hour drive from a half-dozen 1 and 1aa schools, and we are his only offer, to me, that's pause for concern. Cause at minimum, that means if we have it right, lots of others have it wrong.

Posters can feel otherwise. I dont begrudge them that.

Or lack there of. You know it’s just a shame that we have absolutely no players in terms of division one quality in our backyard and we have to go compete with every single other team in whatever state that were in and you know we have some of the things that teams use against us like weather and whatever else they are using but weather is pretty much the main thing that is a big problem for us but at the same time I thought we would do better! like why do we start out so slow every single year? that is the biggest beef with me right now. It seems like every single year we start out with guys that you know we’re beating our mid major teams and we should be better than that
STOP COUNTING STARS ON RECRUITING SITES AND WATCH THE TAPE.

So sick of these complaints. Meanwhile, I'm sure you're one of the first people that when a kid we offered early blows up and goes elsewhere and crows "the staff can't close"...

In other recruiting news, according to this, SU has only offered 288 2021s so far. Not even in the top ten.

With people concerned about the commits we have so far we have to remember that the staff have to secure verbals from kids with low risk of de committing. Its gonna get crazy when the pandemic ends and recruits start visiting schools. Right now a lot of them are just securing a spot just in case.

Last edited:
It's tough, I'm going to trust the staff with these pickups, but the posters that usually have the take that our staff finds the diamonds in the rough or can evaluate better than other programs were also happy about our previous coaches classes as well.

I think we can all be honest, after the Clemson win, the viral moments in the locker room, I thought we were going to start getting some sprinkles of high caliber/profile players. It didn't happen, and it is disappointing no matter how you look at it.

I'm not saying coach hasn't brought in talent, because he has. He overhauled the team in many ways, but as fans we always want more. We shall see how the upcoming year goes, if it is another losing season, then there are clearly some problems with coaching or talent evaluations. I want coach to be here a long time so I hope he can turn it around!

It's tough, I'm going to trust the staff with these pickups, but the posters that usually have the take that our staff finds the diamonds in the rough or can evaluate better than other programs were also happy about our previous coaches classes as well.

I think we can all be honest, after the Clemson win, the viral moments in the locker room, I thought we were going to start getting some sprinkles of high caliber/profile players. It didn't happen, and it is disappointing no matter how you look at it.

I'm not saying coach hasn't brought in talent, because he has. He overhauled the team in many ways, but as fans we always want more. We shall see how the upcoming year goes, if it is another losing season, then there are clearly some problems with coaching or talent evaluations. I want coach to be here a long time so I hope he can turn it around!
To get high level commits to come to snowy Syracuse we are gonna need 3 or 4 bowl appearances in a row. Weve been a 5 win program for almost 20 years. We have to go to other people’s states and convince kids with multiple P5 offers to come to SU because we don’t have enough of them in NYS. That is very hard to do.

Lots of people last year were very skeptical of Luke Benson and his supposed lack of offers last year and I think for a true freshman he turned out to be a very good recruit. This staff has a lot of football experience and know what they are doing. Trust in the process, Go Orange!!!!!!!!!

I think this staff does a very good job of identifying talent. And I think that the 5-7 season severely hurt us as far as recruiting blue chip level talent. You could see us starting to turn the corner with flipping Nunn from Miami, and landing 4 stars Jones and Kpogba later in 2018 as part of the 2019 class in the midst of a 10 win season. That momentum was real, and it took a massive thud when we effectively crapped the bed in 2019.

I think if we see a turnaround this season and get back to an 8-10 win program we’ll see similar momentum with higher profile recruits in the late fall. If not, well, get used to guys we identify early that we later have to fight off late suitors for and diamonds in the rough.

I think this staff does a very good job of identifying talent. And I think that the 5-7 season severely hurt us as far as recruiting blue chip level talent. You could see us starting to turn the corner with flipping Nunn from Miami, and landing 4 stars Jones and Kpogba later in 2018 as part of the 2019 class in the midst of a 10 win season. That momentum was real, and it took a massive thud when we effectively crapped the bed in 2019.

I think if we see a turnaround this season and get back to an 8-10 win program we’ll see similar momentum with higher profile recruits in the late fall. If not, well, get used to guys we identify early that we later have to fight off late suitors for and diamonds in the rough.
Good points.

We are fighting an almost 20 year perception - and mostly reality - of a losing program. I don't think it's unreasonable or hyperbole to think that last year's flop was a disaster for recruiting while also serving to reaffirm the national perception.

Renovated Dome, new OC, new DC, new defense, and Dino's charisma means we will likely create some early buzz - playing uptempo, very aggressive styles of football on both sides of the ball in the "new" Loud House with a favorable schedule. It's a Cinderella Story waiting to happen. The country/ESPN loves a Cinderella story led by a charismatic coach.

This confluence of events might be the program's best chance for the long foreseeable future to have sustained success.

STOP COUNTING STARS ON RECRUITING SITES AND WATCH THE TAPE.

So sick of these complaints. Meanwhile, I'm sure you're one of the first people that when a kid we offered early blows up and goes elsewhere and crows "the staff can't close"...
STOP WATCHING THE TAPE AND LOOK AT THEIR OFFERS.
So sick of these complaints. We're not the professional judges of talent, college teams are and assume they are watching what we're watching and not offering. Recruiting is beating others for talent not assuming everyone else is stupid or derelict and only we can pick 25 diamonds in the rough every year for decades and hope to consistently win. 3-4 yes. But not 25 for years. You can't only watch tape of our players in a bubble, you have to compare to the talent others are getting because Football is a competitive sport. Recruiting is a talent comparison not done in a vacuum.

Last edited:
So sick of these complaints. We're not the professional judges of talent, college teams are and assume they are watching what we're watching and not offering. Recruiting is beating others for talent not assuming everyone else is stupid or derelict and only we can pick 25 diamonds in the rough every year for decades and hope to consistently win. 3-4 yes. But not 25 for years. You can't only watch tape of our players in a bubble, you have to compare to the talent others are getting because Football is a competitive sport. Recruiting is a talent comparison not done in a vacuum.

Or maybe -- call me crazy -- DO BOTH, and consider multiple factors. Outside of an elite, small group of blue chippers, football recruiting ratings are imprecise as hell, because there are thousands of recruits each year, nationwide. And some get far less exposure than others.

If we were recruiting in the same stratosphere as Ohio State or Clemson, then stars alone would be a good barometer, because we'd be selecting from an already pre-identified and evaluated group of known commodities. Since that's not our lane, fans need to dig a bit deeper. Which is why for our program...

Stars don't tell the entire story.

Neither do offers.

And neither does film.

That's why it is completely asinine to only focus on one form of evaluation, and pretend that the others don't exist.

It is also important to mention that the coaching staff has their own, extremely detailed, through, and well researched recruiting board -- with prioritized rankings that they come up with internally. Said recruiting board isn't based upon Rivals or Skwout ratings. So when we land a guy like Nelson or Hough that we prioritized extremely high on the list, that says a lot more than their current ratings.

Hough is a two-star currently, for example. People who are wringing their hands about him "only" being a two-star, and evidence that we aren't recruiting well, are completely off target.

But its okay to watch film and determine who you like. You don't have to be a professional. A lot of those guys on those sites didnt play football. They just mastered the ability to watch film and get players measureables and 40 times off some document. Don't get me wrong offers from P5 schools is a important piece to determining the value but there's a lot of factors that goes into the process too. If we gonna compare commits to others than lets compare ourselves to other inconsistent programs like Wake and BC. Lets compare ourselves to other teams that don't have fertile recruiting grounds and have been inconsistent for 20 years. We are at the point where we have to be creative. We have to find kids early, grab camp kids and hidden gems. After that we have to develop them and get them to compete. Kids that can give you chance to beat teams with more talent. BC was able to do that in the mid 2000's. All in all, you can't ignore the value of developing players. Culture and game day coaching plays a big part too. That's how teams with less talent win.

Or maybe -- call me crazy -- DO BOTH, and consider multiple factors. Outside of an elite, small group of blue chippers, football recruiting ratings are imprecise as hell, because there are thousands of recruits each year, nationwide. And some get far less exposure than others.

If we were recruiting in the same stratosphere as Ohio State or Clemson, then stars alone would be a good barometer, because we'd be selecting from an already pre-identified and evaluated group of known commodities. Since that's not our lane, fans need to dig a bit deeper. Which is why for our program...

Neither do offers.

And neither does film.

That's why it is completely asinine to only focus on one form of evaluation, and pretend that the others don't exist.

It is also important to mention that the coaching staff has their own, extremely detailed, through, and well researched recruiting board -- with prioritized rankings that they come up with internally. Said recruiting board isn't based upon Rivals or Skwout ratings. So when we land a guy like Nelson or Hough that we prioritized extremely high on the list, that says a lot more than their current ratings.

Hough is a two-star currently, for example. People who are wringing their hands about him "only" being a two-star, and evidence that we aren't recruiting well, are completely off target.
Every year we convince ourselves we found the great players no one else knows about and still have one of the worst record in D1 football over that period. (except one year). What's that saying about insanity?

Neither do offers.

And neither does film.

You are right on. Thanks for sharing.

Every year we convince ourselves we found the great players no one else knows about and still have one of the worst record in D1 football over that period. (except one year). What's that saying about insanity?
Who’s “we?”

There’s a new sheriff in town, and if you don’t believe that Babers is up to the challenge, then that’s on you. His outcomes are not bound by what happened the previous 17 years before he arrived.

The real definition of insanity is not understanding that there will be an incremental build to recruiting, based on on field success. Which is why people flipping out about us not landing class is full of four and five stars at this juncture just don’t understand how recruiting works.

Is it rankings or offers? I see many of our kids over the past few years have had a bunch of good offers but they themselves are not ranked very high.

Conversely, a school like Miami is consistently ranked in the top 20 for recruits but it clearly doesn't translate and that has spanned 4 different staffs - so maybe the rankings for them are just wrongly inflated??

Regarding W/L records does it solely matter what the recruiting rankings are or do things like being down to the 4th string walkon QB come into play at all?

Is it rankings or offers? I see many of our kids over the past few years have had a bunch of good offers but they themselves are not ranked very high.

Conversely, a school like Miami is consistently ranked in the top 20 for recruits but it clearly doesn't translate and that has spanned 4 different staffs - so maybe the rankings for them are just wrongly inflated??

Regarding W/L records does it solely matter what the recruiting rankings are or do things like being down to the 4th string walkon QB come into play at all?
Yup, can't get enamored by offers. Often times the players we get with great offers don't pan out. Guys like Funderburk Fagan Pickard Denzel Ward Enoicy and Lavar Lobdell. Qadir White still has time but people thought he would be a starter by year 2.

According to ESPN Miami has had no 5 star recruits since 2015 and have only had one losing season (last year going 6-7) in that time frame and are right on par with where their recruiting classes land so I think they are a bad example. Other than 2018 we would have killed for their results. In the meantime they have had three or four head coaches depending on how you classify 2015. Other than 2017&18 they didn't even finish in the 247 composite top 20 team rankings.

Honestly every year on this board I hear about diamonds in the rough ... the under-recruited or the can't miss stud we finally land (cough Fagan cough ...). The reality is offers only matter if it is from a Bama, OSU, LSU or a Clemson type of program then you have my attention. Don't get me wrong this is not a knock on Dino, honestly I think he is great for the program and I hope he takes us back to periodic visits in the top 25. My biggest issue with Dino was his lack of desire to change his assistants and he blew me away with the moves he made. I am sold and he is the guy for the long haul, I firmly believe Wildhack's commitment was what he needed.

I do think it is hard at times to get players to come to the hill but when the right ones come it is truly a special place to be. The scheme change is the best thing that could have happened on D and will bear fruit specifically in 2021/2022 after players adjust. We are a Dungey like performance from having another breakout season and while we may need pieces in a few spots, we are far closer to making noise consistently than we have been since 2001. I think Devito with the help of the hog-mollys can have a good year this next season, other than Clemson I don't see what I would call a definite loss. Am I saying 11-1? No but a few things fall our way and a 9 win season isn't out of the realm of possibilities. My two pennies anyway ...

According to ESPN Miami has had no 5 star recruits since 2015 and have only had one losing season (last year going 6-7) in that time frame and are right on par with where their recruiting classes land so I think they are a bad example. Other than 2018 we would have killed for their results. In the meantime they have had three or four head coaches depending on how you classify 2015. Other than 2017&18 they didn't even finish in the 247 composite top 20 team rankings.

Honestly every year on this board I hear about diamonds in the rough ... the under-recruited or the can't miss stud we finally land (cough Fagan cough ...). The reality is offers only matter if it is from a Bama, OSU, LSU or a Clemson type of program then you have my attention. Don't get me wrong this is not a knock on Dino, honestly I think he is great for the program and I hope he takes us back to periodic visits in the top 25. My biggest issue with Dino was his lack of desire to change his assistants and he blew me away with the moves he made. I am sold and he is the guy for the long haul, I firmly believe Wildhack's commitment was what he needed.

I do think it is hard at times to get players to come to the hill but when the right ones come it is truly a special place to be. The scheme change is the best thing that could have happened on D and will bear fruit specifically in 2021/2022 after players adjust. We are a Dungey like performance from having another breakout season and while we may need pieces in a few spots, we are far closer to making noise consistently than we have been since 2001. I think Devito with the help of the hog-mollys can have a good year this next season, other than Clemson I don't see what I would call a definite loss. Am I saying 11-1? No but a few things fall our way and a 9 win season isn't out of the realm of possibilities. My two pennies anyway ...

Either your info is wrong or your perception is wrong.

miami rankings rvls 2020 - 2006
19 - (2007) Randy Shannon
14 (2006) Coker’s last season

Since Shannon average ranking = 17.57

record since Randy Shannon’s first year 96-70 (13 seasons)

Average record 7.38 wins and 5.38 losses

3 losing seasons (2019, 2014, 2007) during that time, but I agree we would have killed for the 5 seasons they went 7-6, 6-6 and 7-5. 1 ten win season same as us. All that with an average recruit ranking of 17.57

and by the way rvls has only like 33 5-star kids every year. Miami had 2 in 2018 and I only looked at the last three years. (5 stars don’t really determine much of anything anyhow there’s so few of them.)

Either your info is wrong or your perception is wrong.

miami rankings rvls 2020 - 2006
19 - (2007) Randy Shannon
14 (2006) Coker’s last season

Since Shannon average ranking = 17.57

record since Randy Shannon’s first year 96-70 (13 seasons)

Average record 7.38 wins and 5.38 losses

3 losing seasons (2019, 2014, 2007) during that time, but I agree we would have killed for the 5 seasons they went 7-6, 6-6 and 7-5. 1 ten win season same as us. All that with an average recruit ranking of 17.57

and by the way rvls has only like 33 5-star kids every year. Miami had 2 in 2018 and I only looked at the last three years. (5 stars don’t really determine much of anything anyhow there’s so few of them.)

I used the 247 composite rankings which honestly further reinforces my opinion that outside the top 10 classes its a crap shoot and conjecture.

Hayden Nelson
Indiana, Iowa St.
Josh Hough
Kentucky, Pitt
Terry Lockett
Michigan
Malcolm Folk
Northwestern
Latarie Kinsler - DE
Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, L Louisville, Miami FL, Missouri, Nebraska, Oregon, Penn St., Pitt, Purdue, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, USC, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia
Ja'Vontae Williams - WR
Illinois, Indiana, Miami FL, Oregon
Stefon Thompson - LB
Wisconsin
Damien Alford - WR
Florida, F Georgia, Georgia Tech, Indiana, Kentucky, Miami FL, NC State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Rutgers, Tennessee, Washington St., West Virginia, Virginia
Robert Hanna - S
BC, Louisville, Miami, Maryland, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Wake Forest, Washington St.
Jahad Carter - DB
Michigan, North Carolina, NC St., South Carolina, Texas Tech, Virginia Tech
Steven Mahar - TE
BC, Indiana, Iowa St., Pitt, Rutgers
Justin Barron - ATH
BC, Pitt, Rutgers, Virgina
Leon Lowery - DE
Indiana, Rutgers, Virginia Tech
Sean Tucker - RB
Rutgers, Wisconsin
Garth Barclay - OT
Virginia
Josh LLaoa - OL/DL
Illinois
Marlow Wax - RB
Pittsburgh
Kevin Lemieux - DE
Rutgers
Mikel Jones - LB *** O/D ALL AMERICAN***
Auburn, Clemson, Georgia, Iowa St, Kentucky, L Louisville, NC State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Purdue, Utah, WVU
Lee Kpogba - LB (Decommit from WVU)
Duke, Florida State, Indiana, Maryland, Purdue, Tennessee, Virginia, WVU
Jawhar Jordan - RB
Arizona, Iowa St, Kansas, Louisville, Missouri, Oklahoma St, Rutgers, Texas
Andrew Tuazama - DE (Prep)
Florida St., Maryland, Miami (FL), Mississippi, Purdue, Rutgers, Tennessee
Courtney Jackson- WR
Baylor, BC, Kentucky, Northwestern, West Virginia
Adrian Cole - CB
Kansas, Kansas St, Maryland, Pitt, Rutgers
Cooper Dawson - DL
Clemson, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Virginia, UCLA
Cornelius Nunn - S *** O/D ALL AMERICAN*** (Decommit from Miami)
Alabama, Auburn, BC, Baylor, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Miami, Nebraska, NC St, Oklahoma, Pitt, Tenn
Jason Munoz - DL (Decommit from Miami)
Boston College, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland, Miami, Missouri, Pitt
Aman Greenwood - S/CB
Boston College, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Pitt, Rutgers
Steve Linton - DE
Baylor, Arizona St., Louisville, Missouri, Rutgers
Darius Tisdale - OT (JUCO)
Arkansas, Pitt, Rutgers, WVU
Garrison Johnson - RB
Indiana, Nebraska, Virginia
David Summers - QB (Decommit from Maryland)
Syracuse, Maryland, Pittsburgh
Garrett Williams - CB
Syracuse, Maryland, West Virginia
Cameron Jonas - S
Arkansas, Auburn, F Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Miami, Mississippi, North Carolina, NC St., Pitt, UCLA, Virginia Tech, Wisconsin
Juan Wallace - MLB
Duke, Georgia, Iowa St, Kentucky, Maryland, Rutgers, West Virginia, Wisconsin
Chance Amie - QB
Iowa State, North Carolina, Rutgers, Virginia
Lakiem Williams - OLB (JUCO)
California, Kansas
Gabe Horan - TE
Boston College
Duwayne Johnson - JUCO DB
Arizona, Arkansas, Auburn, Clemson, Colorado, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Indiana, Iowa St., Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan St., Missouri, North Carolina, NC St., Purdue, Rutgers, Texas Tech, USC, Virginia Tech, Washington, Washington St.
Edward Hendrix - WR
Arkansas, BC, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa St., Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland, Michigan St., Missouri, North Carolina, NC St., Pitt, Rutgers, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Wisconsin
Qadir White - OT
Auburn, BC, Georgia, Iowa State, Maryland, Miami, Minnesota, Mississippi, NC St., Penn St., Pitt, Rutgers, UCLA
Carlos Vettorello - OG
BC, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Iowa St, Kentucky, Minnesota, Oregon St, Pittsburgh, Purdue, Vanderbilt
Taj Harris - WR
Maryland, NC St. Rutgers, Wake Forest
Anthony Queeley - WR
Duke, Minnesota, Rutgers, Wake Forest
Caleb Okechukwu - DE *** UNDER ARMOUR AA***
Arizona, Arkansas, Tennessee, Texas
Andre Cisco - DB
Illinois, Nebraska, Northwestern, Vanderbilt
Atrilleon Williams - ATH
Boston College, Pitt, Rutgers
Jarveon Howard - RB
Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Tennessee
Akeem Dixon - RB
Louisville, Purdue
Tre Allison - OLB (Decommit from SMU)
Mississippi State
Ravian Pierce - TE (JUCO) - *** HM NJCAA ALL AMERICAN ***
Florida, L Minnesota, Miss St., Missouri, Oklahoma St, Oregon, Pittsburgh, South Carolina, Tennessee, Wisconsin
Nadarius Fagan - LB
Kingsley Jonathan - DE
Duke, Florida State, Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, NC State, Pitt, Rutgers, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest
Alton Robinson - DE - (JUCO)
Alabama, Baylor, California, Michigan, Oklahoma St., Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech
Tommy Devito - QB - ***UA ALL AMERICAN***
Boston College, Maryland, Mississippi, Rutgers, Texas A&M, Wake Forest, Wash. St.
Aaron Hackett - TE
Iowa St., Kentucky, Louisville, Minnesota, Wake Forest
Curtis Harper - DT
Boston College, Iowa St., Maryland, Wake Forest
Sharod Johnson - WR
Illinois, NC St., Purdue
Kadeem Trotter - LB
Boston College, Iowa St.
Eric Coley - ATH
Boston College, Rutgers
Zach Morton - DE
Iowa St., Pitt