The Official "Favorite Liquor Drink" Post | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Official "Favorite Liquor Drink" Post

A good bourbon, rocks, splash of water. Adding anything else to good bourbon is sacreligous.

Question:
Do any of you scotch drinkers like bourbon? Or bourbon drinkers like scotch? My informal survey over the years tells me if you like one, you probably don't like the other.

Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey. There is no 2nd place.

Question:​
Do any of you scotch drinkers like bourbon? Or bourbon drinkers like scotch? My informal survey over the years tells me if you like one, you probably don't like the other.

I used to love bourbon and hate scotch. However, just in the last few months, I think I'm starting to like scotch.

Sambuca is drink of choice.

Tequila, Kamikazi and White Russian (I know, girly drink, but I could give a what people think)...
A bottle of Sambuca and a bottle of Dr McGillicuddy's Mentholmint Schnapps in the freezer used to get me through cold Boston winters. When dining with clients I will have a nice Sambuca on the rocks as an after dinner drink (I try not to order Jager with clients, I've found it to be a good rule!)

Everyone to their own taste.

You gotta love Americans. Inventors of Wonder Bread, Twinkies and Jack Daniels and Coke.

There's the proper way to enjoy good whiskey (Irish Whiskey and Scotch). Neat and with a splash of water just as the Irish, English and Scots do. The rest of is the American pursuit of drinks which mask the flavor of the whiskey and resemble the ice cream sodas of our youth.

Enjoying good whiskey is an acquired skill ... much like teaching your self the difference between good wine and the swill which most Americans are served at the Outback Steakhouse.

Try this test. Pour 1/2 ounce shot glasses of blended scotch, good bourbon, good canadian whisley and irish whiskey (e.g. Jamiesons) and sample (sip) each without knowing which one you are drinking. Drink some water and eat some crackers between the samples.

Then comment on each of these and select your favorite.

More that 50% of Americans will select the Irish whiskey as their favorite. Irish whiskey is essentially Scotch whiskey cooked over gas flames and not the peat fires that give Scotch it's vaguely "gamey" distinctive flavor.

Most testers will feel bourbon is too harsh for their tastes. Canadian and other blended whiskeys (e.g. Crown Royal) are incredibly smooth ... but that's all they are. In the real whiskey-drinking parts of the world, you can't buy Jack Daniels or Crown Royal because there is zero demand for it. Only the Americans and some Asians will drink it.

One other "tip". Gin and vodka are chemical formulas. Vodka is ethyl alcohol and distilled water. Gin is ethyl alcohol, distilled water and the essence of juniper berries. The difference between brands is marketing ... not chemistry. Whatever subtle difference there is in the product because of slightly different proceeses is completely overwhemed when you put 4 or 6 ounces of tonic in with it.

If you are drinking gin or vodka with tonic or grapefruit juice or whatever, save yourself the money and get bar gin. The FBI lab couldn't tell the difference between that and Ketel or whatever.

images

images

I will still stick with my boring red wine. 1) I like it. 2) No matter how much I drink, I have never gotten sick (or even drunk) from it.
bush_doing_it_wrong_1.jpg

For me... Jack and Coke, Mojito, Southern Gentleman, a good old Ole' Fashion, Grand Marnier... things of this nature.

Everyone to their own taste.

You gotta love Americans. Inventors of Wonder Bread, Twinkies and Jack Daniels and Coke.

There's the proper way to enjoy good whiskey (Irish Whiskey and Scotch). Neat and with a splash of water just as the Irish, English and Scots do. The rest of is the American pursuit of drinks which mask the flavor of the whiskey and resemble the ice cream sodas of our youth.

Enjoying good whiskey is an acquired skill ... much like teaching your self the difference between good wine and the swill which most Americans are served at the Outback Steakhouse.

Try this test. Pour 1/2 ounce shot glasses of blended scotch, good bourbon, good canadian whisley and irish whiskey (e.g. Jamiesons) and sample (sip) each without knowing which one you are drinking. Drink some water and eat some crackers between the samples.

Then comment on each of these and select your favorite.

More that 50% of Americans will select the Irish whiskey as their favorite. Irish whiskey is essentially Scotch whiskey cooked over gas flames and not the peat fires that give Scotch it's vaguely "gamey" distinctive flavor.

Most testers will feel bourbon is too harsh for their tastes. Canadian and other blended whiskeys (e.g. Crown Royal) are incredibly smooth ... but that's all they are. In the real whiskey-drinking parts of the world, you can't buy Jack Daniels or Crown Royal because there is zero demand for it. Only the Americans and some Asians will drink it.

One other "tip". Gin and vodka are chemical formulas. Vodka is ethyl alcohol and distilled water. Gin is ethyl alcohol, distilled water and the essence of juniper berries. The difference between brands is marketing ... not chemistry. Whatever subtle difference there is in the product because of slightly different proceeses is completely overwhemed when you put 4 or 6 ounces of tonic in with it.

If you are drinking gin or vodka with tonic or grapefruit juice or whatever, save yourself the money and get bar gin. The FBI lab couldn't tell the difference between that and Ketel or whatever.

sounds like a pretentious drinker.

Sambuca is drink of choice.

Tequila, Kamikazi and White Russian (I know, girly drink, but I could give a what people think)...

Sambuca con mosca with espresso on the side and a cannoli...a must do at least once a week!

My wife hates Tequila, so we do rum margaritas.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

Maker's w/ a splash of 7. Gotta have a cherry in it too/A Manhattan made with special love and care. Never cared for Scotch. I should take that test and see if I'm a hypocrite.

Johnny Walker Blue (prefer Bourbon to scotch but this stuff is a masterpiece)
Jack Single Barrel
Crown + or - Coke
Jameson + or - Ginger Ale

Mixed drink I go with The Incredible Hulk
incredible-hulk1-240x300.jpg

Neat.....except maybe with a Arturo Fuente Double Chateau...but we haven't started a Thread on Cigars!
r9419_lg.jpg

Johnny Walker Blue (prefer Bourbon to scotch but this stuff is a masterpiece)
Jack Single Barrel
Crown + or - Coke
Jameson + or - Ginger Ale

Mixed drink I go with The Incredible Hulk
incredible-hulk1-240x300.jpg

You'd mix Johnnie Blue? What the hell is wrong with you?

Definitely bourbon.

Favorites are Old Whiskey River, Buffalo Trace, and the Tuthill Town Distillery's Baby Bourbon. Love it with whiskey stones and a few drops (rain drop sized) off water.

To be honest I think the droppers are complete BS, but that's how I was taught to drink it!
Just had Four Roses Single Barrel for the first time.

Granted, I'm a fairly inexperienced Bourbon drinker, but still, I didn't know Bourbon could taste like that.

I've had one glass, and it's now at the top of my list.

A good bourbon, rocks, splash of water. Adding anything else to good bourbon is sacreligous.

Question:

Used to drink bourbon in college, and frequently got sick as a result. Graduated to scotch, which I tend to drink in the winter. Just something like Chivas for me. I've had a bunch of the single malts and various "Glen"s, but a simple Chivas with a couple ice cubes if perfect for me.

Johnny Walker Red and soda
Campari and soda

and in the summer only.....Gordon's gin and Squirt (sounds wacky but a perfect summer drink).

Used to drink bourbon in college, and frequently got sick as a result. Graduated to scotch, which I tend to drink in the winter. Just something like Chivas for me. I've had a bunch of the single malts and various "Glen"s, but a simple Chivas with a couple ice cubes if perfect for me.

I am a dedicated scotch drinker but every once in a while, get a hankering for a nice bourbon. My fav is Rebel Yell. If you like scotch and can ever find it, buy a bottle of The Stillman's Dram single malt. It's pricey at around $150 per but it is the best scotch I have ever had period.