The official "i got Boeheim's book fir Christmas" thread... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The official "i got Boeheim's book fir Christmas" thread...

I got it on iBooks like a month ago, have about 50 pages left. I received the hardcover for Christmas which was a nice gift...have to find a way to get it signed. I have an autograph of JB on my HS roster page when we played in a christmas tournament in Cuse my senior year...he wasn't there watching me unfortunately but for Greg Paulus. Still want to get the book signed tho somehow.

Good read...all su fans should read it.

Some very good DC stories...I love the one about the new uniforms pissing him off before a home Georgetown game and coach wondering if he would come out of the locker room. The other story I liked was regarding the layover in Detroit when heading to new Orleans.

I was also a little surprised by the players who almost transferred out ( Sherman and MCW)

The other nugget I really laughed at...a Pitt assistant negative recruiting against Lou Carnesseca... he was telling kids that Lou was dying! The Pitt assistant.....John calipari!

81South said:
Good read...all su fans should read it. Some very good DC stories...I love the one about the new uniforms pissing him off before a home Georgetown game and coach wondering if he would come out of the locker room. The other story I liked was regarding the layover in Detroit when heading to new Orleans. I was also a little surprised by the players who almost transferred out ( Sherman and MCW) The other nugget I really laughed at...a Pitt assistant negative recruiting against Lou Carnesseca... he was telling kids that Lou was dying! The Pitt assistant...John calipari!

That Calipari story is legendary.

He being a goes way back.

I got it on iBooks like a month ago, have about 50 pages left. I received the hardcover for Christmas which was a nice gift...have to find a way to get it signed. I have an autograph of JB on my HS roster page when we played in a christmas tournament in Cuse my senior year...he wasn't there watching me unfortunately but for Greg Paulus. Still want to get the book signed tho somehow.
Mail it to him at Manley Field House, explain how you would like it signed (e.g, "Best wishes to Eric") and enclose a self-addressed, pre-paid return shipping label. My experience is that an author will sign and return a book if requested in this manner.

Last edited:
From "My Breakfast With Blassie"(modeled after My Dinner With Andre) and Man on the Moon, does anyone recall what Andy Kaufman wanted to sell as souvenirs? JB could mint money selling the real thing.

Last edited:
got mine, but I wanted a signed one. My wife called the SU Bookstore and they said they don't sell them signed. And here on this thread I heard someone say they got one signed from the SU bookstore.

CiscoCuse said:
got mine, but I wanted a signed one. My wife called the SU Bookstore and they said they don't sell them signed. And here on this thread I heard someone say they got one signed from the SU bookstore.
mine came signed

Found error on picture page. There is a caption about Derrick Coleman and two photos. One of the photos is JDub and there is no caption for it.

It's funny; on one hand I really enjoyed the book, on the other hand the fact-checking was kind of shabby. I noticed a number of errors (minor and otherwise; the Stevie Douglas mention was a good one) and wonder how much of the other entertaining stuff is misremembered or pulled out of thin air.

But it is a quick and interesting read; the voice often rings true as Boeheim's and there are some insightful personal bits about players and his feelings toward them. Neat to see the coach's observations of games we've seen and talked about so many times.

The other nugget I really laughed at...a Pitt assistant negative recruiting against Lou Carnesseca... he was telling kids that Lou was dying! The Pitt assistant...John calipari!

I read this in a Sports Illustrated piece a few years ago...tells you a lot about his character

I caught a few historical errors in the book. Anyone else catch them?

That Igor is really Larry Arrington

That John Syracuse gave a free sample of anabolic steroids to some dude named Keith Smart while vactioning in New Orleans on March 30, 1987

John Thompson was seen wearing a dress at the Hotel Syracuse

Regarding the Coleman "special uniform" story, SU wore its usual uniforms against Georgetown in 1989 (and Coleman played center for that whole year and wouldn't have been announced as a "forward").

A bunch of conflation of Archbold Gym (still there) with Archbold Stadium (torn down to make way for the Dome).

Other stuff.

For those wondering, the signed copies from the bookstore came from a book signing JB did on campus earlier this fall. The line was crazy, but I got my signed copy. Regarding the content, it was very interesting to hear him discuss the Fine incident, and also the fact that he almost retired towards the end of the 00's. I can see that. Had we not had the success of the Wes Johnson team, we might be seeing Hopkins as the HC right about now.

TexanMark said:

They state the six overtime was the final (if I recall correctly as I read it a couple weeks ago)

They state the six overtime was the final (if I recall correctly as I read it a couple weeks ago)
That not true...he mentions how the kids were up to 8am and had to play the next night where they won again in OT and then lost the next night to Louisville who is probably the worst team to play because of their style after all the minutes his team played.

Eagles20 said:
That not true...he mentions how the kids were up to 8am and had to play the next night where they won again in OT and then lost the next night to Louisville who is probably the worst team to play because of their style after all the minutes his team played.

We played WVU into overtime the next day, then Louisville in the final

We played WVU into overtime the next day, then Louisville in the final
That's what I thought I wrote other than not naming WVU as the team played the next night winning in OT. The part about worst team to play two nights later being LVille is his words from the book not my opinion

Eagles20 said:
That's what I thought I wrote other than not naming WVU as the team played the next night winning in OT. The part about worst team to play two nights later being LVille is his words from the book not my opinion

I didn't read your response correctly, my bad

No, he uses the words "Big East tournament final" to describe the Connecticut game before getting into the narrative; I don't have the page number handy but think this was on the first page of the chapter.

There's also a mention of our 2006-2007 loss to Tulsa that led to the NCAA snub. I assume that should have been Wichita State.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom