The official "i got Boeheim's book fir Christmas" thread... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

The official "i got Boeheim's book fir Christmas" thread...

TexanMark said:
I caught a few historical errors in the book. Anyone else catch them?

Yea. Had us winning the national championship in '87, '96, '10 and '12.

No, he uses the words "Big East tournament final" to describe the Connecticut game before getting into the narrative; I don't have the page number handy but think this was on the first page of the chapter.

There's also a mention of our 2006-2007 loss to Tulsa that led to the NCAA snub. I assume that should have been Wichita State.
I just remember the narrative not the title of the chapter.

" we came into the 2009 Big East Tournament ranked 18th in the country - a very good, but not great,team. We beat Seton Hall easily to set up a quarterfinal game against UConn, Which was a great team, ranked fourth in the country. "

That's what mine on iBooks says

I remember spotting an error but I didn't make a note of it and don't feel like re-reading the book to find it.

" we came into the 2009 Big East Tournament ranked 18th in the country - a very good, but not great,team. We beat Seton Hall easily to set up a quarterfinal game against UConn, Which was a great team, ranked fourth in the country. "

That's what mine on iBooks says

I think the error came before that line; I'll check it out tonight.

Yea. Had us winning the national championship in '87, '96, '10 and '12.

It's funny, maybe he was focusing on the Bernie situation, but Boeheim seemed rather sanguine about 2012. A non-Syracuse fan would come away from the book with the impression that 1995 was more of a "what could have been" situation than 2012. (Also, he said Kris Joseph was the best player on that team. That was weird.)

One other observation - I loved the few lines about picking up Al McGuire at the Greyhound depot. If Boeheim does any future writing, I'd be satisfied with a series of anecdotes about McGuire and Carnesecca.

He also alludes to John Thompson Jr being the coach of Georgetown the day they named the court after him. Craig Esherick coached Georgetown in 2002.

I was going to buy Boeheim's book for Christmas, but I wasn't sure if that would be an NCAA violation.

Overall I liked the book...but the small facial errors...ones that could be easily be checked on the internet were weird.

Unless we actually played Tulsa in 2007 I'm on crack.

I read the book and I'm just amazed at how many errors I missed. I like to think I have a pretty good eye and that I know our history pretty well, but I didn't catch half of the things you all caught.

Just finished it yesterday and I gotta say it was a bit underwhelming. Just thought there would more more behind the scene stuff. Not really looking for dirt but stuff I haven't read or knew about. I will say right at the end it did pick up a bit. There a great section where JB basically commented on Gibinje tying his shoe against Dayton as a Dayton player hits a 3. JB said they've had guys play with no shoes but Gibinje stops and that's what type of player he is. Not s huge rip but you could tell he was perturbed.

Just finished it yesterday and I gotta say it was a bit underwhelming. Just thought there would more more behind the scene stuff. Not really looking for dirt but stuff I haven't read or knew about. I will say right at the end it did pick up a bit. There a great section where JB basically commented on Gibinje tying his shoe against Dayton as a Dayton player hits a 3. JB said they've had guys play with no shoes but Gibinje stops and that's what type of player he is. Not s huge rip but you could tell he was perturbed.

That was a good line and jibes with my impression of Gbinije.

Not sure about the propriety of sharing the content of player-coach meetings in a book, especially when the player is still in school, but that portion was interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom