The real dilemma would be next year.. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

The real dilemma would be next year..

Status
Not open for further replies.
That little kid who I met at a tailgate a couple years back? That's awesome, man - congrats!
That's my boy. He's a 6' junior now, still skinny as a pole, but he gets after it. Coach told him all kinds of nice things, including that they should have pulled him up to varsity last year after the 3rd or 4th JV game, but that would have killed that team.

Last edited:
You cannot discount the impact of the sanctions.

Sanctions DESTROYED us in the age of one and done culture.

Why? We had to pick and choose who we could take in, while competing with bigger selector schools. It’s no surprised we whiffed on multiple targets and had to bring in more raw, high ceiling/high risk talent. We tried to offset this by hitting the grad transfer market. G and Andrew worked, Geno didn’t.

What really killed us is kids, who may or may not have been ready to leave, choosing the NBA over another year at SU.

Our recruiting could not keep up with players like Lydon, Malachi, Jerami, Tyus, Oshae etc. leaving early. Very few programs can reload like that consistently. This left us BEREFT of experience, continuity and ACC ready talent/size.

The sanctions were like a damn famine to our program.

We’re not Duke/UK/UNC and we thankfully don’t cheat like Kansas and UL. We just couldn’t offset the sanctions and now JB’s in his 80’s.

I was thinking about the sanctions. If not for loss of scholarships, you might be looking at a team now with a few more sophomores and maybe another junior or two instead of five unproven freshmen. I think we’re seeing some of the effects of sanctions in a direct way.
During this time period, JAB also had guys on scholarship who either couldn't play due to transfer rules or couldn't play because they didn't have the skill.

Think about some of JB’s worst moments in press conferences. Now add the pressure of a losing season and questions about his player son.
That kind of ugly
1575474574450.gif

You realize the APR is all about players just showing they are on track to graduate.
It means getting kids to go to class.
They can leave after one year and the APR is fine. As long as the kids go to class and manage their workload.

Managing the APR means having a pulse of your players and not completely leaving them along to screw up. Kentucky has 4-5 kids leave each year and they have no APR issues because their coach manages it with employees.

Jim Boeheim is as laid back a players coach as their is. He lets his players have a longer rope and that Paul Harri/Donte Green year kids didn’t go to class and it ended up screwing our APR.

That is on him.
We shouldn’t even need the walkons to boost the APR that was JB doing right by those kids and getting the benefit in the same breathe.

JB runs a loose ship.

Are you aware the players at North Carolina received As in classes that NEVER existed! Kids were get degrees and half the classes towards the degree did not exist or existed but had no meeting time and no test!

How Cal does it I don't know but Kentucky has a PREFECT APR EVERY YEAR! Ivy league schools can't do this.

Why? We had to pick and choose who we could take in, while competing with bigger selector schools. It’s no surprised we whiffed on multiple targets and had to bring in more raw, high ceiling/high risk talent. We tried to offset this by hitting the grad transfer market. G and Andrew worked, Geno didn’t.

What really killed us is kids, who may or may not have been ready to leave, choosing the NBA over another year at SU.

Our recruiting could not keep up with players like Lydon, Malachi, Jerami, Tyus, Oshae etc. leaving early. Very few programs can reload like that consistently. This left us BEREFT of experience, continuity and ACC ready talent/size.

We’re not Duke/UK/UNC and we thankfully don’t cheat like Kansas and UL. We just couldn’t offset the sanctions and now JB’s in his 80’s.
That all seems like a head coach problem. Instead of giving him a gold watch and thanking him for his life of dedication to SU, they gave him an extension. The idea, promoted heavily on this board, was that Boeheim would be the best to navigate through the sanctions and leave the school ready to compete under Hopkins, or the future coach. Yet here we are, years later, with same excuses bubbling up.

The head coach is unable to construct a competitive team in the current environment and a slow decent of mediocrity has accelerated.

“'How did you go bankrupt?'
'Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly.'”
-- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

Are you aware the players at North Carolina received As in classes that NEVER existed! Kids were get degrees and half the classes towards the degree did not exist or existed but had no meeting time and no test!

How Cal does it I don't know but Kentucky has a PREFECT APR EVERY YEAR! Ivy league schools can't do this.
There's nothing mysterious about how Cal does it. Freshmen-level classes at UK are probably not very difficult, even if you're in a STEM program (I shouldn't judge but I'm guessing with one-and-dones this wouldn't be the case).

JB is only 75. He's not in his mid-80's.

There's nothing mysterious about how Cal does it. Freshmen-level classes at UK are probably not very difficult, even if you're in a STEM program (I shouldn't judge but I'm guessing with one-and-dones this wouldn't be the case).
None of the finish the second semester. After the season they all go to the elite training facilities to prepare for the draft, but they get passing grades anyway...

It’s not hard to manage the APR if you running the program and actually use the support staff to get on the players.

None of the finish the second semester. After the season they all go to the elite training facilities to prepare for the draft, but they get passing grades anyway...
You know this how?

You know this how?
This is public knowledge. Most players across the country that go pro early don't finish their spring semester, but how the schools handle it is up to the schools sometimes its different from one professor to the next at the same school.

I just don't get it 2 years ago we lost to duke in the sweet 16 by like 5 points.

Last year we were not allowed to play battle/howard for the last 3 games, and beat duke on the road, and lost to unc by 2 (in a game with about 14 points off of bad calls in the first half).

Feels like we have one bad year because we didn't grab the upperclassmen at center and buddy turned into a redshirt freshmen like cooneys jr year, and everyone acts like JB has complete memory loss.

I can get the anger over lack of bumping bigs the last 4 years, the rest not so much.

70% of major conference teams would sign jb for 3 years right now without looking back.

I would love to see the data on this claim.

This is public knowledge. Most players across the country that go pro early don't finish their spring semester, but how the schools handle it is up to the schools sometimes its different from one professor to the next at the same school.
I'm not sure how accurate this truly is. If there was public evidence of tampering with the APR scores, not even Kentucky would be immune. I think it's more along the lines of Cal knowing how to game the system by operating within the rules.

Not quite. Schools can take advantage of alternative scheduling as well as online classes. Some players load up on summer courses and more courses in the fall which allows them to take reduced course loads during the spring semester. It's not that hard to "finish" a couple of GenEd online classes while preparing for a draft.

I'm not sure how accurate this truly is. If there was public evidence of tampering with the APR scores, not even Kentucky would be immune. I think it's more along the lines of Cal knowing how to game the system by operating within the rules.
It is true and common knowledge.

JB already has his mulligan when refused to retire when he was supposed to. He did not keep his word, its time

Very valid point. He stated his timeline, went back on that and now Wildhack should step in as he has failed and it seems to be getting worse clearly letting him go out on his own terms won't happen. All that said, still won't happen. Very tough position

It is true and common knowledge.
Then cite some facts. Your accusations here are off topic, and appear to be baseless. If I'm wrong, then you should report Cal to the NCAA immediately.

Not quite. Schools can take advantage of alternative scheduling as well as online classes. Some players load up on summer courses and more courses in the fall which allows them to take reduced course loads during the spring semester. It's not that hard to "finish" a couple of GenEd online classes while preparing for a draft.
Agreed. they can also get an Incomplete and finish the class work after the draft, but it does not meet the educational norms most cases.

It doesn't serve the kids best interest as much as it does the schools.

Agreed. they can also get an Incomplete and finish the class work after the draft, but it does not meet the educational norms most cases.

It doesn't serve the kids best interest as much as it does the schools.
If what you say here were this easy every team in the nation would follow this model.

Kentucky players are told when they go to Kentucky they will finish their coursework and they do. Or Kentucky would get hammered.

We should have done this with Donte Greene and Paul Harris in 2008 if it was this easy.

Harris never came back after 2009 and the reason floated was academics he was going to be a rising senior and wasn’t close to that academically and that would have gotten us into even more APR problems.

If what you say here were this easy every team in the nation would follow this model.

Kentucky players are told when they go to Kentucky they will finish their coursework and they do. Or Kentucky would get hammered.

We should have done this with Donte Greene and Paul Harris in 2008 if it was this easy.

Harris never came back after 2009 and the reason floated was academics he was going to be a rising senior and wasn’t close to that academically and that would have gotten us into even more APR problems.
No. Every school does not follow the model because it doesn't meet their academic standards. JB was sanctioned for not meeting Syracuse University standards not per se NCAA rules.

Cal has vacated two FF appearances and thumbs his nose at the rules quite publicly. This is not a hot take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom