The real dilemma would be next year.. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The real dilemma would be next year..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys - he’s not going to be pushed out and its unlikely he’ll step down. It’s going to get worse before there’s a chance to make it better with a new guy. This is going to be a very, very difficult 2-3 years. Gotta just continue to support the program. I doubt JB will be baited into questions about his son, This will get ugly but not in thAt way imo. He’s a stubborn old man, but he had to know those questions would come.

He's going to hear the heat if he already hasn't. He's called into Axe's radio show before when callers started questioning him.

The only upside I envision-- and I admit that this is a stretch -- would be for Boeheim to do the following:
  • Reign in the Girard / PG experiment, and turn the ball over to Goodine
  • Start Guerrier and give him starters minutes
  • Shift Hughes to the 2, since Buddy isn't making shots
  • Play Braswell at the 3

At least that group would have athletic upside, more side, better rebounding, and better defensive potential. But I don't see three of those things occurring -- our coach is stubborn and would rather ride or die with the current lineup.
and give edwards more time at the 5

Honestly, if keeping JB/Buddy paired up is factoring into Wildhack's decision in any way, shape or form, he shouldn't be the SU Athletic Director.

I dont think its a factor. I think it's a leverage thing (I'm about as cynical as it gets here as i believe Wildhack works for JB and not vice versa). Boeheim's not going on his own (though I do believe he will leave after Buddy graduates - i thought he openly stated that's the plan). How do you force him out? 44 years at the top - i can't imagine there are any big-money boosters/donors that are not betrothed to him. When really difficult personnel choices are made, its usually a result of pressure from those with the checkbook. I dont see that as a possibility here.

The only upside I envision-- and I admit that this is a stretch -- would be for Boeheim to do the following:
  • Play Braswell at the 3

At least that group would have athletic upside, more side, better rebounding, and better defensive potential. But I don't see three of those things occurring -- our coach is stubborn and would rather ride or die with the current lineup.

When freshmen like Guerrier perform like stars for stretches at a time, as he has, it seems like that's precisely the sign when to give them starter's minutes. Boeheim can still pull him out now and then to coach and explain (which Q absorbs with a good attitude).

And Braswell doesn't seem to get mentioned much at all in these threads, lately.

When freshmen like Guerrier perform like stars for stretches at a time, as he has, it seems like that's precisely the sign when to give them starter's minutes. Boeheim can still pull him out now and then to coach and explain (which Q absorbs with a good attitude).

And Braswell doesn't seem to get mentioned much at all in these threads, lately.

JB mentioned that Braswell had a leg injury he was working through. Only saw 1 minute against PSU.

Yeah. With twins on the way next spring and money already tight, I don’t see us making it out to the Dome this year unless we’re offered freebies, which is a really sad state of affairs for the HakAttack household.
Congrats and enjoy the ride. 11 yo twins here. I have thoroughly corrupted my son into bleeding Orange (which in SC there is a perspective that it is the wrong shade of Orange) which can be tough on a young guy but he carries on like a champ. Hopefully, he will be rewarded with some glory days like we experienced with the Orange as kids.

Honestly, if keeping JB/Buddy paired up is factoring into Wildhack's decision in any way, shape or form, he shouldn't be the SU Athletic Director.
Agree completely. I like John but I do not envision him doing anything at the end of this season. Next year he will be feeling the heavy pressure from all sides if the season is the same or worse.

Last year we brought our entire starting 5 back from the previous season. The only P5 team to do so and the team underachieved.

No way 70% of the P5 would sign JB up for 3 years.
We have been mediocre the last 5 years in the regular season. We won some tournament games in 2016 and 2018 but that doesn’t change the fact we have been mediocre in regular season.
We haven’t had a pure PG since Tyler Ennis.
We haven’t a legit post presence since Rak Christmas.

The brand of basketball we play is slow, ugly, grinding basketball.
It’s not sanctions either.

I was thinking about the sanctions. If not for loss of scholarships, you might be looking at a team now with a few more sophomores and maybe another junior or two instead of five unproven freshmen. I think we’re seeing some of the effects of sanctions in a direct way.

Goodine, Hughes, Braswell, Guerrier, Sid.

Marek, Buddy, and Girard to the bench.

The problem there is JB isn’t too high on Goodine at this time.

I was thinking about the sanctions. If not for loss of scholarships, you might be looking at a team now with a few more sophomores and maybe another junior or two instead of five unproven freshmen. I think we’re seeing some of the effects of sanctions in a direct way.
You are a smart person.
How many times from 2005-2014 did Jim Boeheim have 13 scholarship basketball players on the roster?

The answer is 1 time 2011-2012.
Every other season he had 1-2 walkons on scholarship. Those wallkons helped boost the APR and JB was rewarding them for their contributions.

So if JB only had 13 scholarship players one time in the preceding decade to the sanctions announcement how did losing 2 scholarships for 4 years destroy depth?

He didn’t even use all the scholarships when sanctions were happening. Christian White was on scholarship one of those years.
Sanctions hurt recruiting a little bit but it’s an excuse and the people who defend JB(not saying you) use it to the extreme to defend the deterioration of the program.

Why haven’t we recruited a big who can score since Rak Christmas in 2015? My god that is inexcusable.
We have been playing shooting guards at point guard since Tyler Ennis.

We haven’t we recruited a big for next year who can play? We are still having these problems and sanctions are gone.

Enough is enough the program can’t be about Jim Boeheim coaching his son now. If he is staying till his son graduates look at the roster it’s not going to get better. This staff has done a terrible job recently the last 2-3 years at getting players BETTER the longer they stay.

I agree that player development is a key issue, along with recruiting. I tend not to blame the sanctions so much either. I understand things are not equal here and I'm comparing Apples to Oranges (no pun intended), but look at Louisville. They had a lot of negative news the past few years including a self ban in the post season and change in coaching staff, and they are the number one team in the country today. Again, I know its not a direct comparison, but I still think there is some validity to my point.

You are a smart person.
How many times from 2005-2014 did Jim Boeheim have 13 scholarship basketball players on the roster?

Every other season he had 1-2 walkons on scholarship. Those wallkons helped boost the APR and JB was rewarding them for their contributions.

So if JB only had 13 scholarship players one time in the preceding decade to the sanctions announcement how did losing 2 scholarships for 4 years destroy depth?

He didn’t even use all the scholarships when sanctions were happening. Christian White was on scholarship one of those years.
Sanctions hurt recruiting a little bit but it’s an excuse and the people who defend JB(not saying you) use it to the extreme to defend the deterioration of the program.

Why haven’t we recruited a big who can score since Rak Christmas in 2015? My god that is inexcusable.

We haven’t we recruited a big for next year who can play? We are still having these problems and sanctions are gone.

Enough is enough the program can’t be about Jim Boeheim coaching his son now. If he is staying till his son graduates look at the roster it’s not going to get better. This staff has done a terrible job recently the last 2-3 years at getting players BETTER the longer they stay.

I still tend to think it’s a combination of things — recruiting, sanctions, developing players, early departures, an aging coach.

But JB isn’t resigning or getting pushed out. He’ll be given every opportunity to fix this. I’m just not sure if it’s possible. There’s not much leeway in terms of scholarships, so they’d need to run players and that’s not likely to happen.

No. I think it gets worse next year, but I think the school would look harsh firing him, and I don’t think he’s stepping down.
I remember when Guley was coach and he stayed too long, and we lost 26 in a row. They had to recruit Davis and Mackey to play for them. It would be better to upset a few people then let this continue on the wrong tracks.

Last edited:
  • Play Braswell at the 3

Agree about Braswell, and I do think we're seeing Girard's limitations (but my sense is that Goodine's relative skills deficit would more than offset any gains in athleticism).

Serious question: what's Guerrier's upside this season? I'm just not seeing much.

I still tend to think it’s a combination of things — recruiting, sanctions, developing players, early departures, an aging coach.

But JB isn’t resigning or getting pushed out. He’ll be given every opportunity to fix this. I’m just not sure if it’s possible. There’s not much leeway in terms of scholarships, so they’d need to run players and that’s not likely to happen.
Next year’s recruiting is pretty much done across college basketball.
We aren’t going to get any of the 5 star talent that wait.
The talent in that class is pretty much locked up.

Who is going to get pushed out?
Carey is going to leave but that isn’t a guy we should want to leave.
I have said if JB made Buddy a walk-on and paid for him to Come to school that would cost him about 50k at most and could be repaid with a contract bonus made up that would open up a scholarship.

Who has confidence this staff would even find a player to help next year?
I honestly don’t have confidence in them and that is because they all do what the Hc wants.
Autry I am guessing could challenge stuff but who knows if he does and what it would do.

We aren’t going to have a big next year who can help. If we are going to run people off why the hell did we take a recruit in JBA who can’t even play this year and is a project. The management of this roster is completely on Jim Boeheim. We need big help and he recruits a big who can’t even play in emergencies this year and has to redshirt to learn the college game.

Do you believe magically JBA will be able to even play next year?

I hate to bring up transfers but out of 700+ kids that transfer each season maybe Cuse can find one or two productive players for next season. Maybe Jimmy Boeheim graduates this year from Cornell. Who knows. But you think he would help the team.
If it is a big yes... other than that no thank you. A big helps immediately and helps in practice develop Edwards and JBA.

A guard just takes minutes from a player we are developing and hurts us in the long run.

JB has earned a mulligan year after 44 years coaching here. The real difficult decision is what do you do if we have back to back losing seasons with no end in sight, and Buddy entering his Sr. year.

I just fear this could get really ugly.

JB already has his mulligan when refused to retire when he was supposed to. He did not keep his word, its time

This^^^
Im more worried about the aftermath of this season then the season itself, not only if he insists on staying because of Buddy, but if he has demands as to who takes over as his heir apparent.
Will Wildhack give in or defy the legend/HOFer/architect of the program?
And just how nasty would JB or the SU admin be willing to get? Trying times ahead.

It's going to get worse before it gets better.
I think we all know that now.

JB mentioned that Braswell had a leg injury he was working through. Only saw 1 minute against PSU.

Oh ok. But I meant not being mentioned much by fans here in terms of team outlook.

You are a smart person.

If he use to boost the teams APR by giving scholarships to walk-on and those scholarships are removed because of sanctions than how does he maintain the schools APR which he has to do?

Recruit players who are better students. It limits who you can go after.

If he use to boost the teams APR by giving scholarships to walk-on and those scholarships are removed because of sanctions than how does he maintain the schools APR which he has to do?

Recruit players who are better students. It limits who you can go after.
You realize the APR is all about players just showing they are on track to graduate.
It means getting kids to go to class.
They can leave after one year and the APR is fine. As long as the kids go to class and manage their workload.

Managing the APR means having a pulse of your players and not completely leaving them along to screw up. Kentucky has 4-5 kids leave each year and they have no APR issues because their coach manages it with employees.

Jim Boeheim is as laid back a players coach as their is. He lets his players have a longer rope and that Paul Harri/Donte Green year kids didn’t go to class and it ended up screwing our APR.

That is on him.
We shouldn’t even need the walkons to boost the APR that was JB doing right by those kids and getting the benefit in the same breathe.

JB runs a loose ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors