The real dilemma would be next year.. | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

The real dilemma would be next year..

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a cold brutal winter it’s entirely possible actual butts in seats will hit that number in ACC play.

We were getting 16,000 announced just a couple years ago, no doubt actual butts in seats were about 12,000: Lowest attended Conference game since?...

Between the losing, potential weather, and a looming recession, attendance could drop to early-'80s-level lows next year.

The last factor is something I haven't heard mentioned in the context of attendance. I wonder if SU is hoping to bump ticket prices next season as the renovation's first phase wraps up? Even if not, at only $1,000 a pair without donation, people who start to feel a financial pinch might bail.

We were getting 16,000 announced just a couple years ago, no doubt actual butts in seats were about 12,000: Lowest attended Conference game since?...

Between the losing, potential weather, and a looming recession, attendance could drop to early-'80s-level lows next year.

The last factor is something I haven't heard mentioned in the context of attendance. I wonder if SU is hoping to bump ticket prices next season as the renovation's first phase wraps up? Even if not, at only $1,000 a pair without donation, people who start to feel a financial pinch might bail.

Meh. That would be a terrible business decision coming off a 13-18 season. My wife would question why I would renew.

Call me crazy but Boeheim and Wildhack will create a graceful exit whenever that is. No long term damage will occur if it’s this year or in 3. Calm down everyone.

it’s never as bad as it looks or as good. I’m in the camp of let this end gracefully because Jim has given the school as much as anyone not named Carnegie, Newhouse, Whitman etc.

Season is a struggle for sure. Welcome to normalcy. Usually programs find a trough of sorts. At least our coach isn’t walking away and letting Gaudet take the losses.

How can it be graceful if he stays past this year? Fans are fed up now. It will only get worse.

Meh. That would be a terrible business decision coming off a 13-18 season. My wife would question why I would renew.
I personally know of at least three season holders who bailed after last season.

Or if not raise prices, maybe even repeat what I thought was an idiotic football move in eliminating like 100 fans' discounted $99 end zone seats.

Assuming SU is still selling $250 long range view basketball seats near midfield (given the crowd distribution, I think they are), hopefully they don't do something similar. Seems to me it's a net financial loss if they piss people off and they don't renew at all.

Never thought there would come a day where I’d consider giving up my tickets.

Curious if other long time season ticket holders are considering not renewing.

Last edited:
Jim Boeheim deserves a soft ending but not 2 more years after this year.

I can't help but think you have wasted a lot of your time over the last week or so with all of these posts (not saying your points are valid or invalid).

Anyone who thinks Jim Boeheim is just going to walk away, hasnt been paying attention for the last 44 years. Anyone who thinks Jim Boeheim is going to be fired after one losing season is detached from reality.

He's going to finish this season. He's going to get next season. He's going to walk away when Buddy graduates, as was his stated plan two years ago. You can disagree with this all you want, but he's not going anywhere the next two years.

Had a conversation with one of my close friends yesterday who also was my roommate for 2 years up on the hill and he thinks the fans need to be loud as possible about Boeheim retiring to basically force the issue with the Admin. It sounds unfair, but that's the best way of forcing change.

Had a conversation with one of my close friends yesterday who also was my roommate for 2 years up on the hill and he thinks the fans need to be loud as possible about Boeheim retiring to basically force the issue with the Admin. It sounds unfair, but that's the best way of forcing change.

I think that's true, but I'm not comfortable with that.

I really do feel bad for Boeheim, and it's likely that he feels worse about this situation than anybody else. So he probably deserves better than that sort of outcry. The losing and empty silver seats and press criticism (which is really tame so far) should be message enough.

FWIW, I say this as someone who's been occasionally pretty critical of aspects of his management and philosophy over the years.

I really do feel bad for Boeheim, and it's likely that he feels worse about this situation than anybody else. So he probably deserves better than that sort of outcry. The losing and empty silver seats and press criticism (which is really tame so far) should be message enough.

FWIW, I say this as someone who's been occasionally pretty critical of aspects of his management and philosophy over the years.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but it is unfortunate Bud retired recently or else he would be the one being critical. The Axe's/Carlsons/Waters/Ditota's of the world are afraid to go there probably for fear of lack of access.

I can't help but think you have wasted a lot of your time over the last week or so with all of these posts (not saying your points are valid or invalid).

Anyone who thinks Jim Boeheim is just going to walk away, hasnt been paying attention for the last 44 years. Anyone who thinks Jim Boeheim is going to be fired after one losing season is detached from reality.

He's going to finish this season. He's going to get next season. He's going to walk away when Buddy graduates, as was his stated plan two years ago. You can disagree with this all you want, but he's not going anywhere the next two years.
If he is going to go away when Buddy graduates how do we recruit the year Buddy is a Senior?
Next year's class is done. It doesn't even fill our weaknesses this year.
2021 class would be under your scenario JB's last year how do we recruit if the guy is coaching thru Buddy. We are going to sacrifice a significant portion of the future just so JB can finish with Buddy?
That is shortsided and will hurt the bottom of the Athletic Department. I know there are some big time boosters that are always going to be with JB so they have a right to their opinions as well but 2 more years after this current year is a lot. It's not going to get better next year if people are objective.

He doesn't deserve an outcry this year. I feel like the fan base has been insanely patient over the last 5 mediocre/bad regular seasons, so if it did come, I would understand why. We're still early in the season, and it's going to get really ugly if/when we lose to Georgia Tech and Georgetown. We might have 5000 people in the Dome for Oakland.

After going through this for 5 years, I would much prefer 25+ win regular season wins and first weekend exits. I'm curious what all the people who used to complain about the gaudy records and that the regular season didn't matter when we were upset in the Tournament think now.

I'm confused where all the love for Braswell is coming from. Sure, he can knock down a 3 here and there and I do agree it'd be nice to see him get some minutes, even if it's just 5-10 before we're down 20. But he's being made out to be a superb athlete, which I don't think he is, since he was a high jumper in HS. His agility does not look good and he's got such a poor body to handle playing too many minutes. He's thin and lacks muscle. But spot minutes, yeah I'd like to see that.

Southerland was a much better athlete and could run like a deer, even though he was a bit upright and stiff in his movements. He was also bigger and more capable of providing an impact outside of the occasional 3. Of course, he didn't play much early on for a reason.

I fully agree that this is just poor group of players with very little talent. JB doesn't make many adjustments, but I don't think anything he could try would actually amount to much here. Running a new system isn't happening, so what exactly can be done?
I think the lack of the effectiveness of those in front of him, coupled with a few moments of shine for Braswell has elevated his game in the minds of some posters. That said I think it may be worth a shot to see if he has it on any night that we are struggling.

I think the lack of the effectiveness of those in front of him, coupled with a few moments of shine for Braswell has elevated his game in the minds of some posters. That said I think it may be worth a shot to see if he has it on any night that we are struggling.

What could it hurt to play him? It's not like we're eeking out close wins or even losing close games.

Call me crazy but Boeheim and Wildhack will create a graceful exit whenever that is. No long term damage will occur if it’s this year or in 3. Calm down everyone.

it’s never as bad as it looks or as good. I’m in the camp of let this end gracefully because Jim has given the school as much as anyone not named Carnegie, Newhouse, Whitman etc.

Season is a struggle for sure. Welcome to normalcy. Usually programs find a trough of sorts. At least our coach isn’t walking away and letting Gaudet take the losses.
Your first sentence requires faith that sadly I do not have.

What could it hurt to play him? It's not like we're eeking out close wins or even losing close games.
A) This is been posted before, but Boeheim said after Cornell that Braswell was working through a leg injury.

B) I don''t think he's that good.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but it is unfortunate Bud retired recently or else he would be the one being critical. The Axe's/Carlsons/Waters/Ditota's of the world are afraid to go there probably for fear of lack of access.
Can Boston lend Dan Shaughnessy to Syracuse? Hell any of the Boston sports columnists.

If he is going to go away when Buddy graduates how do we recruit the year Buddy is a Senior?
Next year's class is done. It doesn't even fill our weaknesses this year.
2021 class would be under your scenario JB's last year how do we recruit if the guy is coaching thru Buddy. We are going to sacrifice a significant portion of the future just so JB can finish with Buddy?
That is shortsided and will hurt the bottom of the Athletic Department. I know there are some big time boosters that are always going to be with JB so they have a right to their opinions as well but 2 more years after this current year is a lot. It's not going to get better next year if people are objective.

I'm not sure anything you wrote is wrong, but I think you missed the point of my post - none of what you just wrote will matter.

FWIW, i wanted Boeheim out and Hopkins in after the last round of probation (pre-final four run).

I can see possibly Carlson but not Waters or Ditota. JB has pushed back at Axe plenty of time before so he's not afraid of what Axe says.

I'm not sure anything you wrote is wrong, but I think you missed the point of my post - none of what you just wrote will matter.

FWIW, i wanted Boeheim out and Hopkins in after the last round of probation (pre-final four run).
So basically what you are saying is its pointless to complain. So just don't bother with it?

I agree with Jake he has a grace year after so long. Hoops is not football , even if things are bad you can turn things over with one good class.

This is year 6 of 13+ losses. Isn't that enough years of mediocrity? Save the tournament run argument because being 18-12 over 4 months says far more than getting hot/lucky or whatever else for a week or 2.

So basically what you are saying is its pointless to complain. So just don't bother with it?

Or complain sooo much. ;) What's the point of having a message board if we can't complain? My wife would want to murder me if i went on to her the way i sometimes do here (particularly during game threads).

Or complain sooo much. ;) What's the point of having a message board if we can't complain? My wife would want to murder me if i went on to her the way i sometimes do here (particularly during game threads).
Fair enough. I admit I am my worst own enemy. I may repeat points but I save criticism for fair things and don't go after the stuff I think is below the belt.

I never was a big fan of Bud's writing style, but I couldn't agree more.

I hear some people say recruiting is Dow the drain. I don’t follow as close as others but didn’t JG3 have a Duke offer, wasn’t Goodine a top 75 , and as for Guerrier , I think he is going to be very good . I like everybody else am frustrated at the lack of legit big man in the middle but recruiting classes have not been bad. We’re not getting top 25 guys, So aren’t a lot of really good programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom