The Thrill is Gone | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

The Thrill is Gone

I've been complaining about the changes in college football with the unholy synergy of false-NIL and no-fault transfer, and this bowl season I saw how that plays out. I speak only for myself.

First - I flew up to Syracuse from Atlanta with the kids on Christmas day, to see my folks and to let the kids see winter. We had a great time. Thursday, at the start of the Pinstripe Bowl, we were at Clay Park South, sledding. We missed almost the entire first half, and I would have been fine missing the entire game.

I hate NFL "opt-outs". It's bullcrap. Since when does a player get to say, "Sorry, I'm not showing up for work today?" When a team's best players choose not to play, to me, that is no longer the team I became invested in during the season. And a loss is a loss - if by opting out you caused the bulk of the roster to lose, you are at fault. That problem is of recent vintage, but it is compounded by the intra-season portal chumps now. Such a joke.

So as I was watching the second half of the bowl, I thought, I don't care. I could have skipped this entire game and I wouldn't care. The team on the field was not the Syracuse University Orangemen 2022-2023 squad, it was some weird interstitial pick-up squad.

I haven't watched any other bowl games. In particular, I didn't watch the CFB playoff games. I no longer have any interest in watching the "best teams" that money can buy. I will not be part of feeding that beast.

An argument that surfaced here recently, and a comment from a poster about the mindset of some previous players, struck me as specious. The gist of it is that players don't get fair value in the system, they haven't thought so for a while, and they are nevertheless stuck because there is no other alternative.

A player's objective value is only a valid concept in the totality of the system in which the player seeks to capitalize on that value. For years, the NCAA allowed a system in which players were paid in-kind for the value of their college education. You think that's not enough? Then go play in an alternative system where you can achieve your "fair value".

If that fair value had a market, it would have materialized by now. Someone would have come up with a pro feeder league outside of college athletics. The fact that it didn't means - you have no argument! You don't like it - go do something else! Advocate for whatever you want, but don't curse the hand that feeds you while you seek your golden goose.

I was in the Dome for the first game, been on this board for 20 years now, and college football has lost "it" for me. The thrill is gone.
Join the club - I haven't watch much none SU football for 4-5 years, especially the playoffs. NIL and transfers have only made it less appealing. Same with basketball for slightly different reasons. Then again, I'm not a gambler.

I've been complaining about the changes in college football with the unholy synergy of false-NIL and no-fault transfer, and this bowl season I saw how that plays out. I speak only for myself.

First - I flew up to Syracuse from Atlanta with the kids on Christmas day, to see my folks and to let the kids see winter. We had a great time. Thursday, at the start of the Pinstripe Bowl, we were at Clay Park South, sledding. We missed almost the entire first half, and I would have been fine missing the entire game.

I hate NFL "opt-outs". It's bullcrap. Since when does a player get to say, "Sorry, I'm not showing up for work today?" When a team's best players choose not to play, to me, that is no longer the team I became invested in during the season. And a loss is a loss - if by opting out you caused the bulk of the roster to lose, you are at fault. That problem is of recent vintage, but it is compounded by the intra-season portal chumps now. Such a joke.

So as I was watching the second half of the bowl, I thought, I don't care. I could have skipped this entire game and I wouldn't care. The team on the field was not the Syracuse University Orangemen 2022-2023 squad, it was some weird interstitial pick-up squad.

I haven't watched any other bowl games. In particular, I didn't watch the CFB playoff games. I no longer have any interest in watching the "best teams" that money can buy. I will not be part of feeding that beast.

An argument that surfaced here recently, and a comment from a poster about the mindset of some previous players, struck me as specious. The gist of it is that players don't get fair value in the system, they haven't thought so for a while, and they are nevertheless stuck because there is no other alternative.

A player's objective value is only a valid concept in the totality of the system in which the player seeks to capitalize on that value. For years, the NCAA allowed a system in which players were paid in-kind for the value of their college education. You think that's not enough? Then go play in an alternative system where you can achieve your "fair value".

If that fair value had a market, it would have materialized by now. Someone would have come up with a pro feeder league outside of college athletics. The fact that it didn't means - you have no argument! You don't like it - go do something else! Advocate for whatever you want, but don't curse the hand that feeds you while you seek your golden goose.

I was in the Dome for the first game, been on this board for 20 years now, and college football has lost "it" for me. The thrill is gone.
Totally agree with your statements above. I have loved college football forever. On Sunday was watching red zone and realized that this is so much better than college football and all this crap NIL OPT OUTS SPOILED BRATS. Really struggling bad with college football

A few items: a player cannot, right now, get his full worth in this system. It’s an imperfect market with monopsony power held by the ncaa.

If you made “going to class” an opt-in benefit like someone opting into a flex HSA, but not a mandatory part of playing, a LOT of colleges would sign up for that immediately to put a sticker price on that education.

Here’s the thing though, if you don’t like it, don’t watch it.

But they are expanding to 12 playoff teams and the portal has landed us a number of key recruits that were highly ranked out of HS, including our QB and backup QB.

I’m fine with it. I am totally fine getting two years from Duce. Totally fine if Carter chooses to bounce for a better situation.

I just watched two historically entertaining CFP games and can’t wait for the title game.
I think you are severely over rating what Syracuse will get out of the transfer portal. Out of the thousands of kids that entered the portal Carter is ranked 13th overall and Duce #31 overall. We literally had 2 kids who could have played their upperclassmen year's as experience kids who are wanted by the blue bloods and in exchange we have to hope 2 guys that haven’t played any meaningful snaps of football at this level. That's 2 uncertainties for 2 proven and reliable starters that have made huge plays against the best we will go up against on our schedule.

It is what it is. I'm happy we got replacements with high upside, but I wouldn't spin this like it's going to be some big win for Syracuse.

Easy Francis
Because I mentioned this board is mostly white and middle aged and is therefore unlikely to understand the mindset of 18-23 year olds in a sport that is composed of a percentage of minorities that is disproportionately high, compared to the national average? Does that reality make you uncomfortable?

Last edited:
How do you close the portal until after bowl season when ( I think) players have to be enrolled for the January semester to play at their new school?
Shift the whole spring semester. It’s the only way.

Just kidding by the way.

Because I mentioned this board is mostly white and middle aged and is therefore unlikely to understand the mindset of 18-23 year olds in a sport that is composed of a percentage of minorities that is disproportionately high, compared to the national average? Does that reality make you uncomfortable?
what makes me uncomfortable is your generalization that white middle age people (in my case older aged) are probably incapable of thought, interpretation. understanding (insert numerous etc's here). i am not sure what "category" you fit in, but if that is what you have learned, with that statement its not a good one. it is imho, well, you figure it out. sorry.

what makes me uncomfortable is your generalization that white middle age people (in my case older aged) are probably incapable of thought, interpretation. understanding (insert numerous etc's here). i am not sure what "category" you fit in, but if that is what you have learned, with that statement its not a good one. it is imho, well, you figure it out. sorry.
You're uncomfortable by the notion that you potentially understand the mindset of people? Okay.

Not to start this up all again, but just a quick response…. I think an older person is more capable of understanding a young person and both sides of an issue, than a young person. An older person has been both, lived both, and has the benefit of perspective from both. Just my opinion..

Not to start this up all again, but just a quick response…. I think an older person is more capable of understanding a young person and both sides of an issue, than a young person. An older person has been both, lived both, and has the benefit of perspective from both. Just my opinion..
This board doesn't seem to understand much beyond its own rooting interests. Hence my comment.

I'm right there with you, although my prerogative has nothing to do towards the players or their decisions. I'm not a huge fan of the NFL opt-outs but that isn't the greater issue for me.

For me the biggest issue I have is that freeing up the players from transfer restrictions and the introduction of NIL has led to a "system" that is built to further allow the power programs to exploit the smaller P5 and G5 programs more than they already were. We legitimately have power programs utilizing NIL to recruit developed, all conference caliber players from other programs. I'm happy that the kids can pursue financial opportunities, but at the end of the day I'm a fan of Syracuse football and want to see it be successful in this system. I have a hard time seeing that with this current "system". We're basically going to be relegated to being a small market professional team that is a permanent feeder program to power schools with the hope that maybe we crack through once in a while with some luck. Syracuse is not in a large market no matter what anyone wants to say about NYC etc, and we are not in the B1G or SEC either. The deck is stacked.

I mean, I'm supposed to be excited that we are able to land former 4 stars from the portal that either didn't pan out or were recruited over at power programs, and then lose 2-3 year all conference level starters to other programs that are using NIL to recruit them? On top of the major challenges we face against those programs in recruiting HS Talent to begin with? Illegal bags on the front end now supplanted by legal NIL bags on the front end and the same throughout the 4 years a kid is in school if he starts to develop. You can lose a kid at anytime now with the free transfer window and no repercussions for tampering.

I've been a strong fan of Syracuse football for 30+ years, but I'm 100% pulling back to casual status now after this development. Happy for the kids getting paid and having freedom of movement but it's a complete joke for anyone who follows a mid-tier P5 or G5 program now.

You're uncomfortable by the notion that you potentially understand the mindset of people?
i guess you are absolutely right, without question, please tell me that you are not in education. never mind , come to think of it i don't want to know.

i guess you are absolutely right, without question, please tell me that you are not in education. never mind , come to think of it i don't want to know.
I really don’t care about what you have to say here, so just drop it.

Wisdom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom