Thinking back on Doug Marrone | Syracusefan.com

Thinking back on Doug Marrone

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
and how he used to make his staff sit in an office and all write a certain number of letters every day to recruits.

Now compare that to the social media game of our current staff. And think back to how we made fun of that terrible offensive coordinator we had, calling him "McCool", for using Twitter to chat with players.

It all seems quaint now in retrospect. And with respect to Marrone, yes the iPhone had been invented and was several years old already. It's not like it was the Stone Age when he was the coach; just that his recruiting methods were from that time.

and how he used to make his staff sit in an office and all write a certain number of letters every day to recruits.

Now compare that to the social media game of our current staff. And think back to how we made fun of that terrible offensive coordinator we had, calling him "McCool", for using Twitter to chat with players.

It all seems quaint now in retrospect. And with respect to Marrone, yes the iPhone had been invented and was several years old already. It's not like it was the Stone Age when he was the coach; just that his recruiting methods were from that time.

Lots of things have changed with the internet and social media. Just look at the expansion of the recruiting forums on this site because of the availability of "information" on social media directly from prospects, HS coaches, and media. Remember fax machines...they don't really use those any more for LOIs.

Hey I came to SU with an electric typewriter and a record player. My phone was attached to the wall. We had physical books to study from and read an actual newspaper...oh wait we still do that in my house. ;)

Last edited:
Lots of things have changed with the internet and social media. Just look at the expansion of the recruiting forums on this site because of the availability of "information" on social media directly from prospects, HS coaches, and media. Remember fax machines...they don't really use those any more for LOIs.

Hey I came to SU with an electric typewriter and a record player. My phone was attached to the wall. We had physical books to study from and read an actual newspaper...oh wait we still do that in my house. ;)
Besides technology, staffing has changed dramatically over the past 10 years. There are a lot more people involved in all aspects of the program now, especially with recruiting.

Those letters to recruits still happen but now they are probably being sent electronically and they are probably being sent by an intern or young staffer instead.

Besides technology, staffing has changed dramatically over the past 10 years. There are a lot more people involved in all aspects of the program now, especially with recruiting.

Those letters to recruits still happen but now they are probably being sent electronically and they are probably being sent by an intern or young staffer instead.

The increase in the employment/addition of staff in graphics and videography alone is amazing.

Shouldn't the AD at the time, who was an LA guy who could talk on 2 cell phones at once, be the person who should have pushed forward these tools for all sports?

And they have those great graphics that they're using now.
Social media is a really powerful tool to connect with younger people when you do it right.
Currently, we are absolutely doing it right. That stuff looks amazing that they're putting out.

They're using an outside agency for a lot of their graphics, right? I think I read that they were using Digital Hyve.

And they have those great graphics that they're using now.
Social media is a really powerful tool to connect with younger people when you do it right.
Currently, we are absolutely doing it right. That stuff looks amazing that they're putting out.

Unless retweeted by a prospect most of the things sent to them by SU you aren't going to see on twitter. A lot of what you see is fan generated.

Honestly, although a forensic investigation can be done on any staff, for any school, after they are gone, I have a great deal of respect for what Marrone did while he was here.

Old school or not, in my opinion, there are very few coaches who had the combinations that he had (including what he was willing to walk into) and be able to do what he did.

The state of the program was so low, you have to shudder to think what would have happened if we missed the target on that hire as well.

He was not warm and fuzzy and there is certainly reason to negatively reflect on how he left and the timing...However, I really don’t think the program is where it is today without his efforts even if some seem antiquated.

SUOrange44

I still believe that handwritten notes go a long way, and I hope our staff still utilizes them.
FWIW direct mail has had a pretty significant resurgence in the B2B marketing world because it can get attention in a way digital media can't and can be highly personalized. I agree with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom