This just feels different. | Syracusefan.com

This just feels different.

Crusty

Living Legend
As an early and strong advocate of Dino I really felt we were on our way. I thought the 2018 season would kick us to a new recruiting level.

But staff turnover, an inability to recruit lineman, and what seemed to be constantly changing offensive and defensive schemes, destroyed it all.

Wildhack's wisdom and guts and opening of the checkbook has made all the difference. Fran Brown was and is a gigantic roll of the dice. And I assume he has given him the financial backing to succeed because this coaching staff didn't come cheap. It may be the best staff since FHCDM.
Obviously, nobody saw the early recruiting results like this. Breaks all the old dogma about recruiting in snowy Syracuse.

We are still getting little respect outside of CNY but what matters is what the HS coaches and players think and that has improved enormously.

Yes, we need to win 7-8 games to prove the point but Fran is the real deal and that is really what is different.
Another man of character at the helm.
LGO!

As an early and strong advocate of Dino I really felt we were on our way. I thought the 2018 season would kick us to a new recruiting level.

But staff turnover, an inability to recruit lineman, and what seemed to be constantly changing offensive and defensive schemes, destroyed it all.

Wildhack's wisdom and guts and opening of the checkbook has made all the difference. Fran Brown was and is a gigantic roll of the dice. And I assume he has given him the financial backing to succeed because this coaching staff didn't come cheap. It may be the best staff since FHCDM.
Obviously, nobody saw the early recruiting results like this. Breaks all the old dogma about recruiting in snowy Syracuse.

We are still getting little respect outside of CNY but what matters is what the HS coaches and players think and that has improved enormously.

Yes, we need to win 7-8 games to prove the point but Fran is the real deal and that is really what is different.
LGO!
I get that Fran hasn't done it on the field yet, and that's a major item still outstanding, but I feel for the first time in a while we don't have someone at the top of the program blowing smoke up the fanbase's collective ass. The contrast is dramatic. You can feel the accountability and that is contagious.

I was very happy with Dino the first 3 years. Year 4 was the beginning of the significant roster imbalances that ultimately were a theme during the rest of his tenure. And I permanently broke when he blamed NIL on the lack of depth on the offensive side of the ball after we lost no-one of significance on the offensive side of the ball to NIL...

It feels different because it is but it isn't. For those of us who have been around long enough it actually feels good. Feels familiar. Syracuse was very different in the 90s. Before that in the 60s with Ben. Fran is old school. He's one of us. He's got the Ben, Mac, P, George, JB, vibe.
No BS, straight forward, hard nosed approach. I actually think he might be closest to Mac who was tough love and relied on a great staff.
I really respect Fran for admitting that he is leaning on his experienced coaches. Leaning on JW, leaning on Herm. Most importantly being open about his anxieties. His fears. Love that he puts himself last. Puts God first the S second players coaches and community before himself. Prides himself on listening vs talking. Is real about teaching the guys life's important skills. I keep repeating myself but he is a special person. I believe before he's done that he is going to go down as a great coach. Guys like him, unless they lose their way dont fail.

While the national media isn’t expecting much from Syracuse this year, guys that live and breathe college football like Josh Pate are saying Syracuse could be a sleeper pick this year. Fran has at least done enough to get people who are really in tune with college football to take notice - it’s been a long time since that was the case (Dino did it briefly, but that died in Maryland along with his career here).

While the national media isn’t expecting much from Syracuse this year, guys that live and breathe college football like Josh Pate are saying Syracuse could be a sleeper pick this year. Fran has at least done enough to get people who are really in tune with college football to take notice - it’s been a long time since that was the case (Dino did it briefly, but that died in Maryland along with his career here).
Dino was lucky that Scott left him a lifeline in Eric, or he wouldn't have lasted 5 years.

It feels different because it is but it isn't. For those of us who have been around long enough it actually feels good. Feels familiar. Syracuse was very different in the 90s. Before that in the 60s with Ben. Fran is old school. He's one of us. He's got the Ben, Mac, P, George, JB, vibe.
No BS, straight forward, hard nosed approach. I actually think he might be closest to Mac who was tough love and relied on a great staff.
I really respect Fran for admitting that he is leaning on his experienced coaches. Leaning on JW, leaning on Herm. Most importantly being open about his anxieties. His fears. Love that he puts himself last. Puts God first the S second players coaches and community before himself. Prides himself on listening vs talking. Is real about teaching the guys life's important skills. I keep repeating myself but he is a special person. I believe before he's done that he is going to go down as a great coach. Guys like him, unless they lose their way dont fail.
I am hopeful about Fran Brown and believe he can win big at SU.

But let's not anoint him yet. There's a long way to go.

I am also very curious what it will be like when his team hits adversity - not only how his team responds but how he does too.

As I said, I am very hopeful. But the way you are listing all of those things above is putting this guy in a category where I'm not sure he belongs. Yet.

People will be ready to rip him apart after a loss. Thats the nature of sports.
Even with the great ones there is adversity, but I believe Fran is well grounded enough along with his staff to get through it.
His approach to the game is the right one, in that he realizes, speed and size, along with heart, and dedication are winning traits in most sports.

Admitting he was nervous was a breath of fresh air. Too many coaches stick to the coach speak stuff. I really liked that part of his presser. I expect Fran will get little sleep this season as he’s going to put in all the extra hours.

I would listen to the guys like Josh Pate over the national media that just base things off the prior year or don’t know enough to make a correct observation. Pate and the real CFB guys are opinions I would take every single time.

Who knows how things will turn out with Fran, but at least we have someone who is real. I was so sick of Dino’s BS coach speak i stopped listening to him anytime he spoke because it was lies, coach speak, and a waste of my time. Fran is a breathe of fresh air in that aspect.

I am a bit nervous how things turn out because it’s tough to gel quick, and we have a schedule where not as difficult as usual, it’s not quite as easy as we once thought. VT, Miami, NC St and GT/Cal will be tougher than originally thought. It’s still the easiest of schedules we will get so it’s imperative we have a big year (9+ W’s) because next years schedule will be a meat grinder. Kids don’t really care about 7 or 8 wins. We might as well be winning 4 games. That doesn’t open eyes. Flirting in and and of the top 25 and winning big games changes the perception of the program. Just read recent commits interviews and how they have confidence Fran will turn things around. Winning 7 and 6 games and going back to back bowls was absolutely nothing.

LGO!
nice post bud, all that but 9-10 wins with this schedule, this qb, this roster for this year, would be HUGE step forward. 6-8 would be status quo.

Dino was lucky that Scott left him a lifeline in Eric, or he wouldn't have lasted 5 years.

He would have started DeVito in 2018...who did pretty well behind that offense when called on iirc.

That's an interesting what if.

I appreciated what Dino did hear. The program had players but the support system and discipline was pretty poor when he showed up. He at least proved success can happen. Hell there were soda machines in the football rooms...

New cfb landscape needed a new direction. Coach Fran is a perfect next step in building the program back up.

I am hopeful about Fran Brown and believe he can win big at SU.

But let's not anoint him yet. There's a long way to go.

I am also very curious what it will be like when his team hits adversity - not only how his team responds but how he does too.

As I said, I am very hopeful. But the way you are listing all of those things above is putting this guy in a category where I'm not sure he belongs. Yet.

This ^, Fran has done everything right but lets get a month into the season to see where the team is at. Schedule sets up fairly well but only Holy Cross is a true layup in Sept Ohio lost a ton to graduation and the portal but they still have a very solid coach who will throw some wrinkles at SU.

SU also has more depth then it had had since probably the 90s but it still can't afford another year of major injuries early in the season. Mccord, Oronde, Wax, Barron, Allen etc need to stay healthy. All the pieces are there, hopefully it all comes together.

He would have started DeVito in 2018...who did pretty well behind that offense when called on iirc.

That's an interesting what if.

I appreciated what Dino did hear. The program had players but the support system and discipline was pretty poor when he showed up. He at least proved success can happen. Hell there were soda machines in the football rooms...

New cfb landscape needed a new direction. Coach Fran is a perfect next step in building the program back up.
There is zero chance the season goes the same way with redshirt freshman Devito starting vs 4th year senior Dungey.

I appreciate that he cares about embedding himself in the community and actually making a difference on and off the field. He’s restoring pride in the program without a snap occurring.

The difference is ownership and Fran gets it. He’s the coach of Syracuse football. Not just a college football coach.

Last edited:
First missed timeout I'm firing up the #FIREFRAN posts

I do feel good about this, Fran seems to get Syracuse and really loves being here.
Really hoping we get 8-9 wins and get this train rolling full steam ahead.

I've got the Fire HCFB post ready for his first questionable punt.
After 5 years of head scratching punts, head scratching FG’s, head scratching lack of preparedness, head scratching penalties, head scratching clock management, and head scratching time out usage, I think we all have our pitchforks and torches on speed dial. We all collectively have to move past our PDSD and a few games of Fran not doing those things will go a long way towards that.

this team is 10000x better roster wise, coordinator wise and coach wise than last year. I love they getting no respect. If that team last year won 6 games, this is going to be a 9/10 win season. This schedule is easy and to start with 4 home games is amazing. They don’t leave Syracuse from now until October. That’s quite an advantage for any team

After 5 years of head scratching punts, head scratching FG’s, head scratching lack of preparedness, head scratching penalties, head scratching clock management, and head scratching time out usage, I think we all have our pitchforks and torches on speed dial. We all collectively have to move past our PDSD and a few games of Fran not doing those things will go a long way towards that.
I remember how much Dino proclaimed himself of being master of clock management.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom