This season’s not over. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

This season’s not over.

It's just tough when we *literally* don't have a single non-conference season accomplishment. If we just could have somehow carved out even one win in that PSU/Iowa/Oklahoma St./Georgetown stretch.
Agreed. Unfortunately the reality of the situation is this is a very young team thats defensively challenged so we took our lumps early in the OOC.

before someone points out we have multiple veteran contributors, when you have a freshman PG and expect your freshman 6th man to provide the energy off the bench you’re a young team.

we’re fortunate that Hughes, Girard and Guerrier are competitive dudes that bring energy every time they walk on the court despite whatever the last games outcome was. Something I could not fully say about a team of ours since the Gillon team.

Between you and KCSU the both of you have said we would lose Marek for 2 years and he’s still here, yet you don’t quit.

It's a decent strategy, even if you're wrong predicting someone leaves after every year, you were still right with one of your four guesses! 25% success ain't bad!

zo0zfxogloj01.jpg

i take a bigger issue with our perimeter defense

Our defense overall is the worse I've seen in a decade. Add to that the worst interior defense I've ever seen, and we are a mediocre team. We'll be lucky to win 7 in conference.

The kids play hard, JB is coaching his arse off but we are simply to weak inside to go more than 500 in conference.
Id like to see us make the NIT.
Im afraid next year is going to about the same unless we add inside talent. We have become a 500 team.

But as long as JB coaches his are off, all is well in Syracuse...

Thank you.

In a real elite program the coach would have been fired, nevermind trying to equivocate how a remote shot at at an 11 seed is worth being all happy about.

We are Marquette.

But in Syracuse, many people believe the program IS JB. That's the problem. He's taken us down to the mediocre level and there is no way that changes. He's too stubborn to change anything. Remember, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting a change in outcome...

The answer is they won't. We haven't been close to landing a true Big since Hop left and we are not in the top 5 for any rated bigs for the next 2 years. I think JB is going to roll with what he has. Hopefully we land a diamond in the rough. We have fallen pretty far and i just hope that we can remain above 500 for the rest of JB career. The program is stale.

Stale would be overstating our potential. We are getting worse every year too. The program is in clear downward spiral.

Syracuse just needs to finish the season 11-7 to be above .500

I think that is doable. I trust JB in that aspect...

recruiting, totally different ballgame

To think the litmus test is now being a .500 team...

We could've won today... but both SU and ND are pretty bad. Theres no chance st NCAA's other than some miraculous ACC tourney run. And I'd currently bet on no NIT

So who is "good" in college basketball this year? I think it is pretty apparent that there is a dearth of exceptional teams and it's equally as apparent that anything can happen. If SU and ND are "pretty bad" I guess that means there are close to 300 "pretty bad" teams, maybe 40 mediocre and 7 good?

Quality is relative and the bar is historically low in 2020.

So who is "good" in college basketball this year? I think it is pretty apparent that there is a dearth of exceptional teams and it's equally as apparent that anything can happen. If SU and ND are "pretty bad" I guess that means there are close to 300 "pretty bad" teams, maybe 40 mediocre and 7 good?

I don't know, but Georgetown is really bad!

They're getting destroyed in Big East play so far. That makes me happy!

Quality is relative and the bar is historically low in 2020.

probably not the best way to articulate your point. We should be in the top 47...

Guys, we’re going to be okay, if the team was not developing and improving game to game I would be really worried.

I appreciate your optimism but we really aren't okay unless your goal is getting a bid to the NIT. Last night's game hurt. At home against a team at about our level and we lose. Our room for error is shrinking fast.

I appreciate your optimism but we really aren't okay unless your goal is getting a bid to the NIT. Last night's game hurt. At home against a team at about our level and we lose. Our room for error is shrinking fast.

Serious question: Would, say, 17-16 get us in the NIT?

Uconn got blown out by usf last night so at least theres that

if we had gotten akok or stewart wed prob be a top 25 team

i take a bigger issue with our perimeter defense
A lot of those perimeter points came off of second chances though. Rebound the first miss and the defense looks better.

As fans we need to relax and try to enjoy this team for what they are. We’re probably not a NCAA team and even if we sneak into the tournament we won’t be relevant. We’d be lucky to make the second round. If we start to pick wins before games are played we’re going to be very disappointed. One at a time and see what happens. There are no put it in the book wins with this team. History shows we will win some we shouldn’t and lose some we should not. We have one shot blocker on this team and he’s not playing (Edwards). For this team to get better, Guerrier and Edwards have to step up. Edwards never looks bad, but JB doesn’t have confidence in him. Guerrier is starting to look better. We have to make 5 better defensive plays a game to give us a chance to win some games. It will be interesting on a Tuesday night because they are all perimeter with little inside game.

Stale would be overstating our potential. We are getting worse every year too. The program is in clear downward spiral.
Stale is the past three years nit being the last team in the tourney granted a s16 run and an 8 seed. This is just bad basketball.

Agreed. Unfortunately the reality of the situation is this is a very young team thats defensively challenged so we took our lumps early in the OOC.

before someone points out we have multiple veteran contributors, when you have a freshman PG and expect your freshman 6th man to provide the energy off the bench you’re a young team.

we’re fortunate that Hughes, Girard and Guerrier are competitive dudes that bring energy every time they walk on the court despite whatever the last games outcome was. Something I could not fully say about a team of ours since the Gillon team.
Please stop with the young excuses. if you’re team is old it means they’re not talented enough to go and get paid. Unfortunately I think this roster is inevitably headed to geriatric status in a few years.

Please stop with the young excuses. if you’re team is old it means they’re not talented enough to go and get paid. Unfortunately I think this roster is inevitably headed to geriatric status in a few years.

Teams in the FF recently say otherwise.

As fans we need to relax and try to enjoy this team for what they are. We’re probably not a NCAA team and even if we sneak into the tournament we won’t be relevant. We’d be lucky to make the second round. If we start to pick wins before games are played we’re going to be very disappointed. One at a time and see what happens. There are no put it in the book wins with this team. History shows we will win some we shouldn’t and lose some we should not. We have one shot blocker on this team and he’s not playing (Edwards). For this team to get better, Guerrier and Edwards have to step up. Edwards never looks bad, but JB doesn’t have confidence in him. Guerrier is starting to look better. We have to make 5 better defensive plays a game to give us a chance to win some games. It will be interesting on a Tuesday night because they are all perimeter with little inside game.
Losing sucks period. There is no enjoyment in an L. As Herm said: "You play to win the game."