Today was it for me. Syracuse basketball needs to move on. | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Today was it for me. Syracuse basketball needs to move on.

I’d hire Ben McCollum with a proven recruiter or two on his bench and then watch as we win approximately one million games

I’d hire Ben McCollum with a proven recruiter or two on his bench and then watch as we win approximately one million games
Man that's some coaching record he's got, including 38-0 a few years ago.

Man that's some coaching record he's got, including 38-0 a few years ago.
On top of that, Shaka spent time this off-season learning offense from him and Marquette has a top 3 offense in the country and by far the best he has ever coached.

There aren’t many P5 ADs with the stones to do it but I would be beyond excited. Winning coaches win wherever.

I’m officially out when Bees and CTO are out because i know I’ll be within 48 hours of JAB being out.
Are you saying you're a JB fan rather than a Syracuse basketball fan?

Ok- I've been patient...but w t h is this "Gus" reference that keeps being used.
Mine or kcsu’s? kcsu insists on calling JB Gus for contrived reasons I’ve already forgotten. My go-to response is a reference to Mean Girls.

Fetch Mean Girls GIF

Are you saying you're a JB fan rather than a Syracuse basketball fan?
I just want to be right on the timing.

I'm a fan of both Syracuse and JAB. Is that a crazy place to be. I'm also realistic in thinking it's time for JAB to think rest of his life and for Syracuse to plan for a succession plan. it's almost a respectful thing for SU to do on behalf of JAB since he built this program into the machine it is today. Certainly he took over something that wasn't chopped liver but any rational person will look back and think he was net very positive for the university, prbations notwithstanding.

Mine or kcsu’s? kcsu insists on calling JB Gus for contrived reasons I’ve already forgotten. My go-to response is a reference to Mean Girls.

Fetch Mean Girls GIF
Both, actually. I've seen kcsu use it as well and figured it was some sorta acronym or something. Just find it annoying, especially when I have no idea what it signifies.

My daughter is a professor there. Not much to do in Maryville, MO. Talk about a place where the hoops team (and football squad) is the only game in town)!
I like the outside-the-box thinking but D-1 is just such a completely different animal. You don't even have to go that far from Maryville to find an example of what can happen.

In 2014, Missouri hired Kim Anderson to clean up the program after Frank Haith got them in hot water. He was a beloved former player and spent 15+ years as an assistant at Missouri and Baylor (long before they joined the Big 12) and made multiple D-2 Final Fours and one national championship as the head coach at Central Missouri. His stint as HC at Mizzou was an abject disaster. He won less than 30 games over three seasons and finished last in the SEC each year.

If Wildhack hired him (ha!) I'd support it but I'd rather let another program roll the dice on him first.

This is a disgrace. I'm going from annoyed to angry.

Apparently Syracuse basketball will never ever ever again guard the 3 point line.

The program will forever be at the mercy of a team capable of shooting the 3 point shot, in an era when kids are shooting 40% from 3 at 11 years old.

There's stubborn, and there's whatever this is. I've never seen a page so desperately in need of being turned.

I'll be curious to see the attendance for the GT game. Also the Wake Forest game, though I'm sure Hak's return and the jersey retirement will bring some people out who likely wouldn't otherwise. But GT and Wake aren't brand name teams nor are they having good seasons, so it's not like they're draws in the way that Duke and UNC are, or even NC State or Pitt for that matter.

Having gone through extended losing cycles with the pro teams I root for (and SU football), the typical cycle the fanbase goes through goes from optimistic to being annoyed, to being angry, to not caring at all and moving on. And apathy is the most illustrative stage because once people decide they can live without something, it's very hard to get them back. And if you wait too long, even making changes isn't enough if you still aren't winning.

Wildhack may want to stick with Boeheim, but it's going to come at a cost.

Last edited: