True Detective | Syracusefan.com

True Detective

PhatOrange

Living Legend
what did everybody think of the last episode? It's good.

"spoiler alert"

I think it's to obvious that McConaughey might be involved. My hunch is that this thing has haunted him ever since the inmate discussion and suicide. He knew then they didn't get it right so my guess is that he's still trying to track down the killer/killers. If this is the case, it would make sense that he showed up at the crime scene, he's invested in it and haunted by it. The new investigators are obviously fingering Cole but they're wrong.

I'm starting to wonder a little about Harrelson. Some things don't add up. I still can't get his daughter's gang rape scene with the barbie doll out of my head (she was what about 6 years old?). It was unexplained and a little freaky, now she's seen going down the promiscuous teenage path (as Woody says 'are you captain of the slut team' lol). Kids don't do things like that barbie doll scene without having seen it or experienced some sort of trauma. The scene was odd and I think it's going to fit down the road. There's been at least one kid disappearance early on and then we got last nights 'kid' thing culminating with Harrelson snapping and killing Ladoux. Just brutal but I'm still stunned that he killed him. It fit for a second, but Woody comes across as sort of aloof, nerdy and square yet he just walked up to the guy and never hesitated in blowing the side his off head off. Was it his way of keeping Ladoux quiet about something?

Then we get the inmate revelations that they didn't catch the killer, the reference to the 'yellow king' and the revelation that it goes 'higher up' the food chain. Then the inmate suicide.

One other thing that's bugging me is in the last episode we got the jailed husband talking about satanic cults and ritual killings. Implying there was a network. The jailed inmate last night implied the same.

Might be nothing but i felt almost like the hunting and tracking thing was forshadowing. Woody plays dumb about a lot of things but his killing of Ladoux sort of changed the perspective on what exactly he's capable of.

I can't believe they're going to wrap this up in the 3 remaining shows. If it ends with un-answered questions or doesn't come to a conclusion I'm going to freak. I need closure. Great show.

Last edited:
Since the chars are done after this show they have to wrap it up. I too have no idea what direction they are taking the show and now what seemed like a great idea for a quick 8 show one off really makes you want more.. I'm not sure they could even write another season with another story that could play out as well as this one.

this show is really rolling along. 2 episodes left. the writer is working on scripts for season 2.

i was sort of disappointed by the pace of the last episode but now we're caught up to real time. the preview for the upcoming episode looks like it's going to be a good one.

I cannot fathom McConaughey is actually involved in the murders. At this point it's just so, so obvious that's what the writer wants us to think, that it CAN'T be him.

I'm in the "Woody is connected somehow" camp, personally. He's clearly borderline psychotic and shady as hell.

the doll scene is repeated several times . . . there are 5 men surrounding the Barbie, Cohle makes 5 tin men from the Lone Star cans; Dora Lange's mother kept a picture of her daughter surrounded by five masked, mounted horsemen

google the "Five Horsemen" theory

at first I thought the barbie doll scene was a red herring, but given that the 5 men theme has been repeated so often, I have to admit that there might be something to this theory.

the doll scene is repeated several times . . . there are 5 men surrounding the Barbie, Cohle makes 5 tin men from the Lone Star cans; Dora Lange's mother kept a picture of her daughter surrounded by five masked, mounted horsemen

at first I thought the barbie doll scene was a red herring, but given that the 5 men theme has been repeated so often, I have to admit that there might be something to this theory.
Just read up on that. Makes a ton of sense. And especially combined with the parallels between this case and the Jeff Davis 8, as one article that comes up in that Google search points out.

I forgot all about the picture on the wall, that photo was a bit freaky and has to mean something. The attention paid to it was just like the Barbie doll.

Good catch on the tin men, I hadn't noticed he made 5 of them.

PhatOrange said:
Good catch on the tin men, I hadn't noticed he made 5 of them.

I can't take credit for it ... I read about it elsewhere.

So Sunday's episode was outstanding.

Spoiler alert:

We go into the final episode knowing who the major players are.
Grandfather Tuttle, his two Tuttle sons, scarface who's grand daddy's illigitemate grandson ("a childress") and the 5th I think at this point is unknown. Though I wasn't sure if the 5th is the sherif or someone else. I wasn't sure if the sherif is a son of Tuttle or just involved in the original fontenant coverup.

Where are we going? It's pretty straight foward but I still believe there has to be a twist and my twist involves harrelons ex wife Maggie. Here's my theory:

We still have the daughter's Barbie doll rape scene, and her sex artwork both when she was about 5 years old. then we have her going down the destructive slutty teen road. All combined paint the picture of someone who's been sexually abused. I thought this pretty early on but didn't know how it tied together. Enter Maggie

Sunday night Maggie seemed REALLY surprised and concerned that Marty and rust had kissed and made up and were working together. Almost to concerned. Her visit to see rust at the bar was interesting. I thought she was fishing. Why?

According to Lange we know this network involves a good ole boy network of rich folk. What if the twist is Maggie's dad? He's rich, he's old blood, he's religious and he made a sex comment once. Maybe he diddled his granddaughter with the Tuttle crew. I think the kid was abused and if it wasn't her grand dad I'm not sure who else it could be.

Last edited:
i can live with whatever they come up with.. its going to be hard to cast people and duplicate the depth of this story for a new year though.. can season 2 even approach this?

i can live with whatever they come up with.. its going to be hard to cast people and duplicate the depth of this story for a new year though.. can season 2 even approach this?

you'd think not but if the writers/creators dont change they might be able to pull it off. I watched a couple of interviews with this guy on you tube and he has his models. If he doesn't deviate he might be able to recreate it.

part of the draw for me is the 'feel', it's dark dreary (non hollywood) tone/setting/feel. If they keep the 'feel' like that i think it can work. From what I've come to know also being loosely based on a true story i think really helps tell the story. Not to mention the subject matter strikes a nerve with people - kids and pedophilia.

sure is enough very dark true life crime mysteries out there to draw from.

I haven't watched the show. I'm looking forward to it.

If you have 3+ minutes to waste you might like this.

Just got home and caught up with last week's episode. Had to stay away from this thread until today, but I'm pumped for tonight.

I have a hard time believing there is a better actor than Matt McConaughey right now.

Just got home and caught up with last week's episode. Had to stay away from this thread until today, but I'm pumped for tonight.

I have a hard time believing there is a better actor than Matt McConaughey right now.

Agreed. He's terrific. Always was. This show is great. I have been in TV heaven with this and having just caught up with Boardwalk Empire.

who would have thought that when about 6 or 7 years ago he made Surfer Dude

This makes you wonder how many Movies could be this good if they had 6-8 episodes to flesh out a writers ideas.. rushing to make a movie fit into 1.5-2 hrs so much gets thrown away. really well done. the next set of actors have a lot to live up to.

This makes you wonder how many Movies could be this good if they had 6-8 episodes to flesh out a writers ideas.. rushing to make a movie fit into 1.5-2 hrs so much gets thrown away. really well done. the next set of actors have a lot to live up to.

It really feels like TV is taking a giant leap forward, and has been doing so really since HBO got into making really good series. There is just some really great stuff on paid and even regular TV.

So, what did everyone think of the finale?

SPOILER ALERT (SOMEWHAT)

I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of closure, but I think there is something great to that as well - I tend to dislike neat tied-off Hollywood endings. And the supposition here seems to have been really cast aside for this one. Kept waiting for the daughter to get pulled into the mess.

I would like to know exactly how many bodies they found at the house.

It really feels like TV is taking a giant leap forward, and has been doing so really since HBO got into making really good series. There is just some really great stuff on paid and even regular TV.

So, what did everyone think of the finale?

SPOILER ALERT (SOMEWHAT)

I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of closure, but I think there is something great to that as well - I tend to dislike neat tied-off Hollywood endings. And the supposition here seems to have been really cast aside for this one. Kept waiting for the daughter to get pulled into the mess.

I would like to know exactly how many bodies they found at the house.

My feelings were mixed.

On one hand I was disappointed it turned out to be the one guy in the woods and not the larger conspiracy that was alluded to through out the show. Seems that a great deal of it was meant for nothing other than internet speculation. Kudos to them for making that work but it did seem to be a bit of a let down.

On the other that last scene with just the two of them outside the hospital was so fantastic that I have no words to describe just how good it was. Quite possibly the best couple of minutes of TV I have ever seen.

My feelings were mixed.

On one hand I was disappointed it turned out to be the one guy in the woods and not the larger conspiracy that was alluded to through out the show. Seems that a great deal of it was meant for nothing other than internet speculation. Kudos to them for making that work but it did seem to be a bit of a let down.

On the other that last scene with just the two of them outside the hospital was so fantastic that I have no words to describe just how good it was. Quite possibly the best couple of minutes of TV I have ever seen.

Agreed, agreed, and agreed.

Well, no big twist, that was a little disappointing but all in all a great show.

Did hate the fact that the Tuttles got away with it. Also, still a little confused now why they would've had Marty's daughter staging barbie doll gang rape scenes in kindergarten. Same with the art drawings doesn't really make sense now.

My feelings were mixed.

It wasn't one guy in the woods though. It was a conspiracy (remember there were 5 guys in the video tape) they just couldn't prove the tuttles were the ring leaders. All circumstantial and theories. But it was pretty clear that the main serial killer was the bstard grandson of the head Tuttle.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom