Tyus to test draft... without agent ... | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Tyus to test draft... without agent ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jonathan Givony wrote an article today that basically puts Tyus, Huerter, Divencenzo, and Okogie all around the same spot and says he needs to show he can shoot and create for others at the combine.

Jonathan Givony wrote an article today that basically puts Tyus, Huerter, Divencenzo, and Okogie all around the same spot and says he needs to show he can shoot and create for others at the combine.

He could be in trouble. These are 2 things he does not do well.

I don’t think this is really new news, it’s been discussed months ago around these parts.

He could be in trouble. These are 2 things he does not do well.

I don’t think this is really new news, it’s been discussed months ago around these parts.

"Does not do well" is just terribly misrepresenting some of the underlying issues with the team surrounding him. Not having guys who can shoot well makes it much harder for him to create for others. Having guys who can't catch is one of the other problems. Shooting when he's not playing 40 minutes a game might improve as well.

There is zero chance that IT person is even close to being fresh out of college. I work in the field. High pay for big city IT consultants is 70-75k coming right out of college. Most are starting at 55-65k per year. The only outliers would be geniuses that work at Google or something. There are a ton of jobs in the field, but the competition for the top paying jobs is fierce. The people in this field are all above average intelligence and work ethic.
Well except for that Cuse slacker dude drinking beer in his Avatar. :bat:

Last edited:
"Does not do well" is just terribly misrepresenting some of the underlying issues with the team surrounding him. Not having guys who can shoot well makes it much harder for him to create for others. Having guys who can't catch is one of the other problems. Shooting when he's not playing 40 minutes a game might improve as well.

Even with shooters and playing quality minutes the season before he didn’t really create well then either.

The shooting could be a product of his volume minutes, but he also has a hitch in his shot to go with his low percentage.

Even with shooters and playing quality minutes the season before he didn’t really create well then either.

The shooting could be a product of his volume minutes, but he also has a hitch in his shot to go with his low percentage.

This is where coming back next year would, I should say could, be helpful for him and how he is perceived. He'll have more and better options around him next year, so he'll actually be able to get some assists.

I absolutely agree about the hitch. The other thing that I think works against him is that he wasn't a guy who could take and make long threes (like Lydon did often) as NBA shooters have to do every game.

Man, I hate Glassdoor. I've had several conversations with staff who believe they are underpaid based on what they find on Glassdoor. Let's not consider that Glassdoor information is only as good as those that provide a response, it doesn't necessarily account for industry or company, and large cities can have swings just based on where the company is located in that city.
I love it.

Power to the people.

There is zero chance that IT person is even close to being fresh out of college. I work in the field. High pay for big city IT consultants is 70-75k coming right out of college. Most are starting at 55-65k per year. The only outliers would be geniuses that work at Google or something. There are a ton of jobs in the field, but the competition for the top paying jobs is fierce. The people in this field are all above average intelligence and work ethic.
How quickly does the tech evolve? I mean, let's say he comes back and gets his degree. He's still not going directly into IT if he doesn't make it into the NBA. He'll either go G-League or go to Europe or whatever, and play for five+ years, while trying to get another crack at the NBA. So, five+ years down the line, with no practical experience in the field, how much is that degree worth toward getting a decent job? I know it's different, but i remember taking BASIC, PASCAL, and Fortran in high school because the 'prevailing wisdom' was "you won't be able to operate a computer" without knowing programming languages(!). Maybe more relevant, i taught myself HTML with one 'industry standard' app, and now that app is defunct, and i have no idea what's going on with that side of design.

Curious, why more athletes don't go into sports management instead of 'unrelated' fields like Info Sciences. They're going to be doing nothing but making sports-related contacts while pursuing their NBA dreams...

How quickly does the tech evolve? I mean, let's say he comes back and gets his degree. He's still not going directly into IT if he doesn't make it into the NBA. He'll either go G-League or go to Europe or whatever, and play for five+ years, while trying to get another crack at the NBA. So, five+ years down the line, with no practical experience in the field, how much is that degree worth toward getting a decent job? I know it's different, but i remember taking BASIC, PASCAL, and Fortran in high school because the 'prevailing wisdom' was "you won't be able to operate a computer" without knowing programming languages(!). Maybe more relevant, i taught myself HTML with one 'industry standard' app, and now that app is defunct, and i have no idea what's going on with that side of design.

Curious, why more athletes don't go into sports management instead of 'unrelated' fields like Info Sciences. They're going to be doing nothing but making sports-related contacts while pursuing their NBA dreams...

The tech definitely changes pretty rapidly, but a lot of companies aren't willing to put up the money to acquire licensing for all of the newest stuff. Even if they are splurging for that stuff, it usually takes years to plan and implement changes on production environments. There is a ton of trial and error and testing involved when implementing new tech. There are plenty of old technologies still being used. It's very dependent on the cost. You might be a couple years behind, but that degree will make sure you get your foot in the door. I happen to work for the same company as former Cuse Football player Kevyn Scott who got his BS and MS in Information Management & Technology from Syracuse that is being referenced in this thread. He only gave the NFL a try for a year or two but he's doing very well for himself with that degree now.

With all of this being said, I'm not one of the posters that believes Tyus should/needs to come back. I'm just expanding on this particular topic that was brought up in regards to the field I currently work in and the value of that education. Tyus could always go back and get his degree at any time if he chose to.

Eh, it's not necessarily inaccurate. Incomplete in a lot of cases, sure.

tomato, tomato. If information is incomplete, then it's not accurate. At least how I see it.

tomato, tomato. If information is incomplete, then it's not accurate. At least how I see it.
So then the way organizations respond is by encouraging the information to be complete.

I actually work on this by the way as part of my company's branding. I'm all up in it. We had too few reviews on Glassdoor for the # of employees we have, and the reviews skewed negative because the only people that left reviews were people pissed off because they got canned for being crap at their jobs (this was before I came on). We turned it around. It can be done, and without strong arming anybody.

Judging his reaction with a bunch of guys who’ve left it seems like he’s been out of the loop a lot when it comes to NBA decisions.
Absolutely that’s part of the point good clarification

So then the way organizations respond is by encouraging the information to be complete.

I actually work on this by the way as part of my company's branding. I'm all up in it. We had too few reviews on Glassdoor for the # of employees we have, and the reviews skewed negative because the only people that left reviews were people pissed off because they got canned for being crap at their jobs (this was before I came on). We turned it around. It can be done, and without strong arming anybody.

I also know of some HR companies faking positive reviews also. Like anything it’s a mixed bag like most review sites (yelp , trip advisor, rate my professor etc).

I also know of some HR companies faking positive reviews also. Like anything it’s a mixed bag like most review sites (yelp , trip advisor, rate my professor etc).
Oh, sure. There can be abuses. That's true of anything.

Glassdoor ain't going away though. Better to adapt and thrive than let it kill you.

CS degrees do the work while IT degrees screw up the work that needs to be done, thats been my experience..

Status
Not open for further replies.