UCF feeling entitled | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

UCF feeling entitled

On the one hand, I'm very sympathetic towards UCF and the G5 in general. They're facing a stacked deck.

On the other hand, specifically when it comes to scheduling, I agree with IB, they gotta go for broke if they want to knock that deck over. 2-for-1s may suck and be unfair, but if you sincerely want to build a schedule tough enough to be a legit playoff contender then suck it up and do it.

It's somewhat ridiculous that UCF played FAU *and* SC State this year, given the spongy-soft AAC slate they had on tap. Same for next year, it's cool that they have Stanford and Pitt, but they're also playing Florida A&M and FAU. Yuck. That's a P5 OOC schedule and it's not nearly good enough when you're in the AAC.

Honestly the whole situation is dumb. Either college football should have a P5 division "1" and a G5 division "1A", or they should expand the playoffs to allow for a G5 participant. This current state where there is a shadow 1 and 1A stinks.

Yep and Johnson was injured last year for Auburn ... go back and watch the SEC title game and see the beating he took ... Auburn was also missing Pettway and Martin .. they were riddled with injuries late in the year ... that victory over Auburn was cute but Auburn at full strength beats them.

Line was anywhere from 9.5 - 10.5 on game day favoring Auburn with the players missing the game factored into the equation. The whole Auburn really shoulda, coulda, woulda, won if only __________________ argument is tired.

On the one hand, I'm very sympathetic towards UCF and the G5 in general. They're facing a stacked deck.

On the other hand, specifically when it comes to scheduling, I agree with IB, they gotta go for broke if they want to knock that deck over. 2-for-1s may suck and be unfair, but if you sincerely want to build a schedule tough enough to be a legit playoff contender then suck it up and do it.

It's somewhat ridiculous that UCF played FAU *and* SC State this year, given the spongy-soft AAC slate they had on tap. Same for next year, it's cool that they have Stanford and Pitt, but they're also playing Florida A&M and FAU. Yuck. That's a P5 OOC schedule and it's not nearly good enough when you're in the AAC.

Honestly the whole situation is dumb. Either college football should have a P5 division "1" and a G5 division "1A", or they should expand the playoffs to allow for a G5 participant. This current state where there is a shadow 1 and 1A stinks.

I don't feel bad for them. They can replace SC St with @ Florida and run the table and get in. They don't want to do this they want to keep an easy schedule and raise fake banners.

The fact that they will begin the year ranked high puts them in a better position than most. Look at Washington St they had no chance to make it with 1 loss because of where they started the season.

I think the people that want to expand the playoff don't have the power and the people that have the power don't want to expand. 8 teams would be perfect.

Why does UCF feel entitled? Their sentiment is one of legitimacy.

Line was anywhere from 9.5 - 10.5 on game day favoring Auburn with the players missing the game factored into the equation. The whole Auburn really shoulda, coulda, woulda, won if only __________________ argument is tired.

If you think Auburn hadn't fallen off I don't know what to tell you ... go look at Auburn when they beat UGA and then look at how the roster was impacted by injuries and how bad they looked against UGA in the SEC title game and get back to me. If you can't see their decline after Johnson ended up getting really banged up vs Bama and unable to effectively run the ball then you weren't paying attention. That line was more about people not realizing UCF was pretty decent. You take Auburn on week 1 at full strength and UCF on week 1 at full strength and let them square off and UCF doesn't win.

To me, even if they scheduled all top 25 teams OOc, and ran the table, I don't think they'd be given a seat at the table.

So all this talk about what they should do or have to do... there's no guarantee. Too much money at stake for the powers that be to actually let them take one of the playoff spots.

To me, even if they scheduled all top 25 teams OOc, and ran the table, I don't think they'd be given a seat at the table.

So all this talk about what they should do or have to do... there's no guarantee. Too much money at stake for the powers that be to actually let them take one of the playoff spots.

I don't agree with that at all. If they had a decent schedule with some objectively good wins and went undefeated then they absolutely would be in the discussion. When I say objectively good wins I mean would we count that win as a good win if Clemson, Bama, OU, etc. beat them. None of those schools would get any credit for beating Pitt or Memphis. I mean Missouri doesn't even get any credit for beating Memphis and they blew them out far worse than UCF did.

The reality is there are probably 20 teams that would have gone undefeated playing UCF's schedule this season if not more.

I don't agree with that at all. If they had a decent schedule with some objectively good wins and went undefeated then they absolutely would be in the discussion. When I say objectively good wins I mean would we count that win as a good win if Clemson, Bama, OU, etc. beat them. None of those schools would get any credit for beating Pitt or Memphis. I mean Missouri doesn't even get any credit for beating Memphis and they blew them out far worse than UCF did.

The reality is there are probably 20 teams that would have gone undefeated playing UCF's schedule this season if not more.
20 teams? Come on.

20 teams? Come on.
The only good teams they played were
Memphis x 2, Temple and Pittsburgh at home.
UCF played one tough road game at Memphis and Memphis isn’t much different than at Wake Forest and UCF won 31-30 there.
The other 8 games were garbage teams.
Remember they lost a game at North Carolina because of the hurricane.
Their schedule was a joke this year. With Milton they were a top 10-15 team.

The only good teams they played were
Memphis x 2, Temple and Pittsburgh at home.
UCF played one tough road game at Memphis and Memphis isn’t much different than at Wake Forest and UCF won 31-30 there.
The other 8 games were garbage teams.
Remember they lost a game at North Carolina because of the hurricane.
Their schedule was a joke this year. With Milton they were a top 10-15 team.
That doesn't say anything about 20 teams being able to go undefeated with the same schedule.

I really can't believe people are taking the Gators side on this. I mean, it was that long ago a football factory forced SU into a 2 for 1's and playing their home games on a neutral field.
Nobody was forced.

Pretty much the entire SEC would. What do you think UCF does against our schedule this year? I think they have the same record.
We can't know these things.

Honestly the whole situation is dumb. Either college football should have a P5 division "1" and a G5 division "1A", or they should expand the playoffs to allow for a G5 participant. This current state where there is a shadow 1 and 1A
College football stinks.

Fixed?

20 teams? Come on.
Who in the top 25 do you think wouldn't have gone undefeated against their schedule? And who on UCF's schedule would they have lost to.

Before you say us because of Pitt, playing Pitt at home when up to that point you played UConn, SC State and FAU is different than playing Pitt at Pitt a week after playing at Clemson.

Last edited:
Who in the top 25 do you think wouldn't have gone undefeated against their schedule? And who on UCF's schedule would they have lost to.

Before you say us because of Pitt, playing Pitt at home when up to that point you played UConn, SC State and FAU is different than playing Pitt at Pitt a week after playing at Clemson.
Well, we don't actually know. I'm not even going to guess, because it's unknowable.

You know what is knowable?

Game results.

Well, we don't actually know. I'm not even going to guess, because it's unknowable.

Game results.

Their game results tell us what we already know, that a good team will probably do very well against a schedule that is objectively easy. It doesn't tell us that they belong in the CFP.

By your logic then any team that isn't the best or second best team in their P5 should just try to switch to an easier G5, play a soft non-conference schedule and then they'll have a claim to the CFP as long as they don't get upset because nobody can say that they "know" they wouldn't have went undefeated if they stayed in the SEC/ACC/B1G.

Game results.
Since we can't play a 120 team round robin, assumptions must be made when figuring out a national champion. The assumption made by the committee is that they would have lost games against a real schedule. If they want to change that, they do what it takes to play established strong teams, wherever. They have that opportunity and are turning up their nose.

UCF feeling entitled

wichita state syndrome. nouveau riche feeling a bit blue blood. let's see if the legacy has legs.

This talk of UCF getting to the CFP even with a good OOC schedule is a joke. Look at what ND has to do to get in. That's ND. What Florida should do is go ahead and schedule the 1-1 with a ridiculously low buyout clause, schedule the first game at UF, then buy their way out of the 2nd game. They can draw a middle finger on the check to UCF or pay them in pennies lmao

This talk of UCF getting to the CFP even with a good OOC schedule is a joke. Look at what ND has to do to get in. That's ND. What Florida should do is go ahead and schedule the 1-1 with a ridiculously low buyout clause, schedule the first game at UF, then buy their way out of the 2nd game. They can draw a middle finger on the check to UCF or pay them in pennies lmao

I don't get the Notre Dame point. When has ND been left out of the CFP when they should have been in?

This year they went 12-0 with some quality wins and are ranked 3 behind Alabama and Clemson. They are in the CFP over UGA and OSU despite many saying both of those teams are better and are ranked ahead of OU who a material amount of people think is better than ND. What argument is there that says ND has been mistreated by the committee?

Since we can't play a 120 team round robin, assumptions must be made when figuring out a national champion. The assumption made by the committee is that they would have lost games against a real schedule. If they want to change that, they do what it takes to play established strong teams, wherever. They have that opportunity and are turning up their nose.
Uh huh.

So it's fair for the committee to punish some teams for things that didn't actually happen.

That means what actually happens doesn't matter as much.

Nobody else has a problem with that?

I don't think UCF is the party that needs to change here.

there are many paths to a 10 + win season. one is lined with thorns another with daisies.
let's not reward those who the primrose path of cupcakes tread. give the crown to the battle tested. want more respect ? get off the porch and come out in the streets and earn it.

I don't get the Notre Dame point. When has ND been left out of the CFP when they should have been in?

This year they went 12-0 with some quality wins and are ranked 3 behind Alabama and Clemson. They are in the CFP over UGA and OSU despite many saying both of those teams are better and are ranked ahead of OU who a material amount of people think is better than ND. What argument is there that says ND has been mistreated by the committee?
Thanks for proving my point. I didn't say they've were mistreated but.....

2018 Fighting Irish:
Undefaeated.
10 wins vs P5
2 wins vs G5
no games played vs FCS
Win over #7 Michigan
Win over #20 Syracuse (curb stomped us)
Win over #22 Northwestern.

Those are final rankings, not the fluid rankings that see teams drop 20 spots in 1 week. That's 3 wins over the top 25. Also wins over Pitt and Stanford who were no slouches this year. And yet, according to you, people think they don't belong. ND put together a CFP season, but that's exactly the kind of season you need to have on the outside looking in. UCF would need all that and more and will never get it in the AAC. They would have a better chance going indy and scheduling like ND every year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom