UConn hoops back to Big East | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

UConn hoops back to Big East

It would be a lot cooler to hate on UConn if we weren’t so mediocre since joining the ACC. I wish them well. Hopefully our games with them become nationally relevant again. Same principles apply to Georgetown. When our rivals do well, our games get more exposure.

The nastiness from their fans over the years at games makes it hard to wish them well. I'm not saying we aren't as bad but specifically in my book what I have dealt with makes it enough to e joy their struggles and failures. Grown adults don't throw heavy objects at people's heads because of sports.. that and many other things.

Conference wise this is true. But we don’t get more exposure UConn does well lol..we get nothing from it and it hurts us recruiting-wise.

If UConn was ranked in the top 25, our game against them becomes relevant nationally. Espn and the other networks love ranked games, especially between rivals. Larger tv audience equals more revenue dollars. More exposure to Syracuse is a good thing lol

I mean I think every Big East school has a better fanbase for hoops than BC. Or even Wake since Skip. Or Clemson.

Providence- much better
Creighton- yes
Nova- yes
yukon- yes
St Johns- yes
Seton Hall- yes
Georgetown- yes
Butler- yes
X- yes
Marquette- yes
Depaul- equal

Mid level Big East is pretty good. Thats why everyone is correct to not assume yukon will automatically be that even if I unfortunately feel that way.
Disagree. DePaul, St John’s and SetonHall have no fan bases. Not better than BC and Wake. Providence is decent. I don’t know much about Butler’s fans. The rest, I’ll acknowledge, are fairly strong. But as others have pointed out, the NBE ratings on Fox aren’t great at all. They’re pretty minuscule compared to the ACC and power 5.

Last edited:
If UConn was ranked in the top 25, our game against them becomes relevant nationally. Espn and the other networks love ranked games, especially between rivals. Larger tv audience equals more revenue dollars. More exposure to Syracuse is a good thing lol
Not sure 1 game every other year (at most) is worth having them good when we’re recruiting against them constantly. I’d rather have them suck.

Disagree. DePaul, St John’s and SetonHall have no fan bases. Not better than BC sand Wake. Providence is decent. I don’t know much about Butler’s fans. The rest, I’ll acknowledge, are fairly strong.
Georgetown doesn’t have a large fanbase. The program never did locally.

They would get close to a 50/50 crowd for our games if they didn’t try so hard to make it hard for our fans to get tickets.

Villanova, Creighton, Marquette are legit top 25 fanbases.

Butler has a small gym and loyal local support but they aren’t close to a large fanbase. Their home arena sits 9,100.
Same for Xavier except their home arena sits 10,200.

Cincinnati is the “state” School for the non-Ohio State or Kentucky fans in that area.

Providence, Seton Hall, St. John’s depend on how good their programs are.
The Big East has 3 really good fanbases and other solid programs.

Georgetown doesn’t have a large fanbase. The program never did locally.

They would get close to a 50/50 crowd for our games if they didn’t try so hard to make it hard for our fans to get tickets.

Villanova, Creighton, Marquette are legit top 25 fanbases.

Butler has a small gym and loyal local support but they aren’t close to a large fanbase. Their home arena sits 9,100.
Same for Xavier except their home arena sits 10,200.

Cincinnati is the “state” School for the non-Ohio State or Kentucky fans in that area.

Providence, Seton Hall, St. John’s depend on how good their programs are.
The Big East has 3 really good fanbases and other solid programs.

St. John's has a better fan base than Georgetown. Georgetown has a better donor base than St. John's.

Not sure 1 game every other year (at most) is worth having them good when we’re recruiting against them constantly. I’d rather have them suck.

yeah I get it. I just meant that it’s more exciting when our rivals are good because our yearly game against them is more exciting and probably gets more news and tv exposure.

yeah I get it. I just meant that it’s more exciting when our rivals are good because our yearly game against them is more exciting and probably gets more news and tv exposure.

UConn? Isn't that at best a November tournament at a neutral site?

UConn? Isn't that at best a November tournament at a neutral site?

Why does it matter when we play them? If UConn is doing well, our game is more exciting and more hype. Plus, more news coverage. Also, helps out our SOS if you want to take it that far. Like it or not, the media still sees Syracuse/UConn as a marquee matchup. Same with Syracuse/Georgetown.

Why does it matter when we play them? If UConn is doing well, our game is more exciting and more hype. Plus, more news coverage. Also, helps out our SOS if you want to take it that far. Like it or not, the media still sees Syracuse/UConn as a marquee matchup. Same with Syracuse/Georgetown.

We play 20 conference hoops games. All the non conference action is done by Christmas. We won't play them in Syracuse because we aren't going to play them in Connecticut. So it's just in a slew of other early season tournament games / doubleheaders.

We play 20 conference hoops games. All the non conference action is done by Christmas. We won't play them in Syracuse because we aren't going to play them in Connecticut. So it's just in a slew of other early season tournament games / doubleheaders.

I’m not sure where the disconnect is. I enjoy competitive and exciting games against our rivals, regardless when or how they happen. Maybe it’s the recruiting angle and people don’t want other programs to be more competive than us ? When the Yankees and red Sox both suck, the games aren’t as interesting.

You asked when we play them so I replied early and why. It’s been ages (2003 maybe) where we played a big OOC game in season. And we cannot do that anymore with 20 conference games.

Anyway, happy 4th!

I would really enjoy a late season non conference clash with an old big east rival vs early season.

I would really enjoy a late season non conference clash with an old big east rival vs early season.
I have said Syracuse and Georgetown should play the last weekend of the regular season going forward.
Big East has 11 teams.
ACC has 15 teams.
Thus one team from each conference will be getting a bye each weekend.

Syracuse and Georgetown should request the last week of the season aka first week in March and play their game that weekend.

I have said Syracuse and Georgetown should play the last weekend of the regular season going forward.
Big East has 11 teams.
ACC has 15 teams.
Thus one team from each conference will be getting a bye each weekend.

Syracuse and Georgetown should request the last week of the season aka first week in March and play their game that weekend.
I think this is your best idea ever. If only Georgetown still played D1 basketball...

The comparison between the American and the Big East is really not close, even if you take out Villanova. Which you can’t do.

And the Tournament is random. Does Xavier losing in the second round in 2018 really cancel out the excellent season they had?
Warning... coming in hot: yes.

I think they would trade some regular season losses to advance deeper into March.

But as you said, the tournament is random. It isn’t the best way to determine a champion. But it might just be the most fun.

Warning... coming in hot: yes.

I think they would trade some regular season losses to advance deeper into March.

But as you said, the tournament is random. It isn’t the best way to determine a champion. But it might just be the most fun.

I’m sure they would. They’re fans. I’d happily trade a whole seed line in 10 and 12 just have Onuaku and Melo respectively available. Not even for a guaranteed deep run. Just have them available and see what happens.

But the way those seasons ended in the tournament doesn’t mean that those teams didn’t have spectacular regular season and weren’t excellent teams.

I’m sure they would. They’re fans. I’d happily trade a whole seed line in 10 and 12 just have Onuaku and Melo respectively available. Not even for a guaranteed deep run. Just have them available and see what happens.

But the way those seasons ended in the tournament doesn’t mean that those teams didn’t have spectacular regular season and weren’t excellent teams.
Having such a good regular season sets the bar high heading into the tournament.

An early flameout makes it all feel like a failure. Doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be proud, though.

Uconn was RANKED?

fffffffffffffff

Uconn still sucks. Hurley is an awful game coach. They have one good win and you know Hurley will mismanage a few more games this year. In a tough year nice to see them mediocre again.

Cuse

Glass houses guys. Uconn, by any measure, is currently a better team than us and, unfortunately, has a better short term upside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom