UConn hoops back to Big East | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

UConn hoops back to Big East

UMass.

New Mexico St.

Liberty Liberty Liberty, Liberty.
And they can change their mascot to this:

Randy is SUCH a bitch. Seriously. I actually dislike him and do not wish him well at all. He comes across like he has zero integrity.
Comes across? He texted his players he was leaving for MD after they were blown out by OK in the Fiesta Bowl. He does have zero integrity.

And, since we were at SU at the same time, I know things about him that coincide with that sentiment.

And no, I won't tell. Sorry. :)

Passive aggressive twitter from our alum.
It will be interesting to see what happens with their football program.

It appears the AAC doesn’t want them for football only. They are ranked the worst program in the country right now, so even CUSA and the MAC are reportedly not interested in them.

They have about 14 months to build a schedule, presumably as an independent. How are they going to do that?

Well, there are 8 schools in the AAC that suddenly have openings in their schedule. That would ideally be the way to fill in the holes in the schedule for 2020. But the AAC schools have no love for the UConn program that has done so little for the AAC and will be leaving it so suddenly. They are going to want to replace UConn rather than play on one team short. And this is where I have concerns.

If they choose to add UMass, I have no problem with that. It is a spit in the eye to UConn and doesn’t affect us much. Might have UMass recruiting a bit but they really aren’t a threat. I don’t see that happening though.

I think their dream add would be Army for football only. Just like Navy. It gives them access to the NYC market for the first time and gives them a huge upgrade in terms of quality and tradition for football. And brings the Army-Navy game into the fold. This would be a major win the the AAC. And it could be a problem for Syracuse,

No, I am not worried about Army stealing recruits from us. I am worried about the recently scheduled 4 game series we signed with Army. We lost an OOC series with Navy when they joined a conference and the same thing could happen if Army joins the AAC. Really hope we can play that series. I love the West Point campus and would love to see a couple of SU-Army games there. And I would love to see the Long Grey Line travel back up to CNY a couple more times.

Anyway, back to UConn. Their best bet to build a schedule for 2020 and a couple of years beyond is to try and steal the games whoever replaces them in the AAC had scheduled. If the AAC takes an independent like Army, UConn could probably just grab the 8 games Army decides to ditch in favor of AAC games and fill up their schedule that way. It is so late in the game now, those opponents will have little choice but to accept the change. That might even drive a switch of the 4 coming SU-Army games to be SU-UConn games, worst case.

No offense to UConn, but that would be a big letdown. Fortunately, if this happens, I think the games are far enough in the future that Syracuse might have some other options to explore.

Comes across? He texted his players he was leaving for MD after they were blown out by OK in the Fiesta Bowl. He does have zero integrity.

And, since we were at SU at the same time, I know things about him that coincide with that sentiment.

And no, I won't tell. Sorry. :)

I respect it on your part, and feel like I don’t even need to know it to “get it”. I saw everything I needed to know when he coached UConn. Everything since then is icing on the cake.

I remember really wanting him to take over after GEEeeeRrrgGgg

LOL at me.

I wanted Turner Gill badly at some point. That might’ve been when GRob was hired...or after? Can’t remember? Pretty sure it was when he got Marrone(who I wasn’t high on, lol). No idea on his integrity, but his star as a coach faded fast.

I wanted Turner Gill badly at some point. That might’ve been when GRob was hired...or after? Can’t remember? Pretty sure it was when he got Marrone(who I wasn’t high on, lol). No idea on his integrity, but his star as a coach faded fast.

I’m pretty sure at different points the likely candidates were Gill, Mike Locksley, Randy Edsall, and Skip Holts

I’m pretty sure at different points the likely candidates were Gill, Mike Locksley, Randy Edsall, and Skip Holts

Defintiely. I was high on Gill because I knew his name as a player and went to school out in Western NY when he was winning at Buffalo. Holtz seemed like a lock at some point.

Smart move by UCONN. They gave it a go in FB but making the leap to D-1, especially in the northeast where big time college football is an afterthought, was always gonna be an uphill battle. In 20 years no one will even remember their 20 year FBS flirtation.

For basketball, it's a slam dunk. They are going to a conference that put 70% of its members in the tourney 2 years ago but gets disrespected specifically because it is not what it once was. This gives the school and conference a chance to get closer to that past.

Defintiely. I was high on Gill because I knew his name as a player and went to school out in Western NY when he was winning at Buffalo. Holtz seemed like a lock at some point.
We offered Holtz. If memory serves, he accepted but when he took the wife here to finalize the deal, she vetoed it. Don’t think Skip was the answer but he would have been better than Greg...

As the guy credited with lifting Yukon from FCS, it’s only fitting Randy is at the helm as they descend back from where they came.

I forgot he was their coach. That’s how irrelevant he and they are.

I do remember him throwing the previous coach and players under the bus for their low talent level now that I think of if.

It won’t revive anything. This is an admission by UConn they can’t afford football and losing all the money they are.
So why lose millions of dollars and play Tulsa/Tulane/East Carolina/SMU and all those travel costs plus their fans can’t get to the games when they can play basketball in their natural region with old rivals and won’t lose the same money in football.
Make no mistake this move is UConn saying football was bleeding money and killing the AD financially and the new AAC deal wasn’t going to sustain them.
So they are giving up bigtime football to save their basketball brand. It’s not going to revitalize anything. It’s admitting football was a mistake.
It will revive their basketball program. It will boost their recruiting. And if they win a BET in MSG it will put them right back on the map. Nobody cares about their football program. Not even them.

It will revive their basketball program. It will boost their recruiting. And if they win a BET in MSG it will put them right back on the map. Nobody cares about their football program. Not even them.
It won’t effect their basketball program.
The AAC is a better conference than the Big East.
Villanova is the best program in either conference but after Nova the rest of that conference has done nothing in the tournament since the NBE was formed.
The AAC has Houston under Sampson, Wichita under Marshall, Memphis under Penny( best recruiting class in the nation), UCF under Dawkins and Cincinnati/Temple.
The conference wasn’t as garbage as much as Kevin Ollie sucked at recruiting.
UConn’s football was losing money and when the school lost their deal with SNY for WBB cost them money so they left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom