UNH post game | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

UNH post game

Dunno why we never tried to Big Boy them with our massive size differential.

McLeod scored easily the 1 time we got him the ball cleanly.
JT forced 2 bad passes to him that were TO’s, but at least he was looking for the big fella.

when something works...keep doing it until they stop it.

starling had an easy post up bucket too...but then didnt shoot for a while after

many mouths to feed is a double edged sword, sometimes

but I feel with this specific roster...there will be matchup problems to exploit vs every team...just have to identify them and go to them

Alot of standing around on offense...
Yeah..we've got 4 on the perimeter and Judah is expected to create.
That's fine if/when there are 2 or 3 hitting from outside. Otherwise,
the opposition sags off...clogs the lane, Judah takes it inside gets stripped or takes an off balance shot.
You can get away with it against the "UNHs". But against the folks in Maui and the ACC? "No soup for you!!"
Push tempo when you can and off ball pics/screens in the halfcourt...MOOOOOVE!!

Overall rather disappointed. Defense was not great so I'll be interested in how it develops over the course of the year. 3-point shooting was a disaster. Too much one-on-one play. It will also be interesting as to how Red's player rotation develops over the next few games, especially in Hawaii.

I thought we got tired in the second half. Somebody posted earlier that UNH looked fresher in the second half and I agree. Practice reports mentioned increased difficulty - think we need more conditioning.

Plenty of room for improvement and still a double digit win in a game that wasn't a slog thru mud. It's a start.

A few thoughts
-Disappointed that I didn’t see more of an evolution of Judah’s game. I thought he was playing hero ball on both ends. Didn’t see him make any good passes off the dribble. Devo correctly pointed out that his defense was not good enough. His shot selection was questionable and his outside shot didn’t look any better than last year. Hopefully this is rust given that he missed the first exhibition game.
-I liked what I saw from JJ for the most part. His shot actually looked better than in the exhibition games though the numbers don’t back that up and he went to the basket strong. It looked like he got banged up and I’m sure he would’ve been out there in the final minutes if something wasn’t not right.
-Taylor uncharacteristically had some bad turnovers early but I thought his four point play and foul line jumper were two of the biggest plays in the game. Also was happy to see him go to the basket and pick up the fifth foul on their best player. His man to man has to be better though.
-looks like Maliq hurt himself when we were pressing, and I was surprised he was as effective as much as he was in the second half. I thought McLeod did some good things, and I was surprised that he barely played. Much like in the second exhibition game Carey had a couple of moments where he showed his athleticism, and I’m somewhat surprised that he seems to have already beaten out Hima.
-Quadir was trick or treat. He drove me crazy with unnecessary flashy plays that turned into turnovers, and he also took some ill-advised shots including awful three-point shots. But he also hustled and ended up with 13 rebounds. If the kid ever learns the value of not turning the ball over, he can be pretty useful.
-I’m excited about Cuffe. I think he is incredibly athletic and that one three was a big shot. I’m looking forward to seeing him evolve and play some big minutes.
-Bell looked absolutely miserable on the bench. I’d prefer that he pretend to care about his teammates when he’s not in the game.
-I would’ve played more man to man down the stretch. Hard to critique Red tonight, but there is something to be said for the fact that nobody seemed to panic when the lead got chopped down.
-The most surprising thing tonight was how good Devo was and how bad Matt Park was. Devo made a lot of good observations even though he was playing the role of the Syracuse homer. For some reason Matt park couldn’t figure out that Judah had 4 fouls and when the game was getting close he seemed not to notice.
-i’ll always take the win. But really a confusing game and it’s hard to know what to take from it.
I assumed we played more zone at the end to protect judah with four fouls.

One game is not enough to rule out or totally get behind one player. I think by far my main concern right now is offensive flow with JJ and Judah out there at the same time. Was a really frustrating game from Mintz. Offense seemed to lack chemistry. Predictably, when Copeland JJ and Mintz were out there at the same time it turned into an ugly dribble fest with nobody out there threatening from range. Copeland should not be allowed to shoot threes and it is also silly to have him as the guy spacing the floor out on the wing when NH was totally fine with him shooting from range.

Really worry about our offense finding some chemistry since we seemed to offer no alternatives to 1v1 hero ball. Mintz foul hunting was a massive headache to watch. Cared more about drawing the foul than making a shot. Him and JJ can both get by their guy, but did not look to pass nearly enough last night. It is early and everyone deserves some time to figure it out.

Devo made one of his best remarks early in the second half. He said Judah needed to get the rest of the team involved because he can get what he does anytime he wants. I was disappointed in what he brought to the court tonight.

Cuffe, Brown, Taylor, JJ and Cope all showed some good things that should get better as we go through the year. I'm a little concerned that Taylor is not going to be quick enough to handle some opponents on defense. We will need him in the game for his offense.

Red is going to need a lot of patience riding the roller coaster he will be on with this crowd of unfinished talent.
I really loved Devo’s insight, I’d love to hear more of him on commentary. And I’d love if he found his way on the staff eventually. Any team/staff could use his fire and he’s very easily relatable with the kids.

I think we can all agree that was not a good performance. I can’t think of a “good” player who I dislike watching more than Judah. He is really overrated IMO. He is an average defender who gets a few steals. Throws himself into the lane with no plan. And he is not a point guard, doesn’t create well for others. His three point shot has been nonexistent. There’s a reason he is still at SU and it is showing. To me unless something changes this is an NIT team.

I thought we got tired in the second half. Somebody posted earlier that UNH looked fresher in the second half and I agree. Practice reports mentioned increased difficulty - think we need more conditioning.

Plenty of room for improvement and still a double digit win in a game that wasn't a slog thru mud. It's a start.
I thought we let them back in the game when Judah, JJ and Copeland decided they needed to go 1 on 1. The half court offense the 2nd part of the first half was abysmal.

Ok, whoever compared Cuffe to Stevie Thompson and I was skeptical….I can see it now.

Not saying he’ll ever be nearly that productive. But in terms of being like 6’2 but playing like he’s 6’7. Seems more comfortable as a wing than as a ballhandler, shot looks decent, and man does he get up! I couldn’t believe some of those rebounds were him. That tip dunk attempt was nuts, would’ve been an all time great dunk and it was really close to happening.

Love seeing some elite athleticism in Orange again. I think he’s going to help us.

Last edited:
In case your were wondering about former Syracuse Orange players last night:
Girard (Clemson) 3 Pts, 1-5 FG, 4 Ast/1 TO
Edwards (WVU) 13 Pts, 4-7 FG, 13 Reb, 3 Blk
Torrence (Binghamton) 12 Pts, 4-5 FG,
6 Ast/8 TO

In case your were wondering about former Syracuse Orange players last night:
Girard (Clemson) 3 Pts, 1-5 FG, 4 Ast/1 TO
Edwards (WVU) 13 Pts, 4-7 FG, 13 Reb, 3 Blk
Torrence (Binghamton) 12 Pts, 4-5 FG,
6 Ast/8 TO
Not bad

Yikes

Glad to have 2 games in 3 days to properly see this team in real action. Liked the first 10 minutes but the last 30 were a slog. From what I can see so far this is a 1st half team. I think there are issues with guys being in Game Shape. Saw Bell huffing badly after the first time out. Copeland and Taylor were ready and willing. One thing that I think needs work is rebounding and attacking off a missed shot. We did that the first 10 minutes and were able to push the ball up. In the later part of the 1st half and 2nd half we got the rebound but not the push.

Also, the passing in the half court set was poor. When coming into the half court the dribblers were thinking of setting themselves up instead of starting the offence and passing to an open jump shooter. We did not get a lot of open looks due to poor set up from the lead guards. Against better teams that has to be a priority.

I hope next game we can see continuation of the team grow.

Go CUSE.

Last edited:
Didn't mind the zone at the end, it seemed to slow down UNH. What I really minded was lack of help defense, too many blow byes from a mid major.

The offense will get cleaned up, like anything else leash's will get shorter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom