Uniforms @ Central Michigan revealed | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Uniforms @ Central Michigan revealed

I know - I'm just being nostalgic for uniforms that I thought were great.

I think that's the issue - we as fans have these deep memories and nostalgia from a truly great time in our history. The players don't have that history - and like the updated looks, multiple options, metallic helmets, etc. It's going to be tough (or impossible) to please everyone.

I will say - I can't wait to see these whites on the field.

eao1115 said:
Would everyone be cool if we just wore these instead and stopped screwing around with stupid looking jerseys?

Sharp color combo.

No. Cheesy numbers, mesh top, two much stripe, no logo = out of style.

Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

IthacaMatt said:
Let's change the Yankees' uniforms to red and green plaid and see how the fans react.
Puh-lease. Do you think one of the richest professional baseball teams and a private-university-in-what-many-people-think-is-a-bad-climate are on equal negotiating terms for the people who don their uniforms. Make up history that Syracuse wore the same uniform before Nike "took over" all you want -- but, to use a line Judge Judy also likes to use, don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Let's change the Yankees' uniforms to red and green plaid and see how the fans react.
The Yankees knocked down The House That Ruth Built to move to Yuppie Stadium. That is about 100 times worse than a uniform update .

Todd Gack said:
Puh-lease. Do you think one of the richest professional baseball teams and a private-university-in-what-many-people-think-is-a-bad-climate are on equal negotiating terms for the people who don their uniforms. Make up history that Syracuse wore the same uniform before Nike "took over" all you want -- but, to use a line Judge Judy also likes to use, don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.
ADD ON: Shafer put it best on his radio show last night (about the whites): "If the players like 'em, I like 'em."

I remember when people said that these uniforms and logo were boring and needed to go.
jdumars_300_110711.jpg

And then this happened...
grant_hill_pistons_dribble.jpg

But hey, people eventually get tired of stupid looking uniforms and eventually sanity reigns.
chauncey-billups.jpg

I feel like a lot of teams went through that exact same type of metamorphosis with their uniforms where they tried to get cute and realized they made a mistake: the Sixers, the Wizards, the Blue Jays, the Capitals, the Vikings, the Bills, and many more have all gone back to their classic styles.

If it means the return of Rivera, Jeter, O'Neill, Bernie, Tino, Pettitte, Posada to their primes and the 4 WS wins in 5 years, I might be in favor.

Really what? I don't get the uproar about what 18-22-year olds choose to wear. Marsh, who I don't know if he's a graduate or not threw out (at the prospect of wearing white) "embarrassed"? Bees offered an explanation -- and I get the "one-off" bit, but that doesn't answer why he cares so much. Neither of us are graduates.

The whole "Orange" nickname is based on a wantingness to be different, right? Wasn't it chosen after some crew race where they wanted to pick a different color? God forbid kids 100+ years later had the same wantingness to switch things up.

It doesnt matter if I am a graduate or not. What does that have to do with anything?

They are awful uniforms. Plain and simple. If the kids like them great. I think they suck. Nike too. These people who design uniforms need to be fired

Chip said:
If it means the return of Rivera, Jeter, O'Neill, Bernie, Tino, Pettitte, Posada to their primes and the 4 WS wins in 5 years, I might be in favor.
What if they wore pinstripes -- but were all in cotton?

Syracuse isn't the Yankees.

Brilliant response.

No, Syracuse University is not the Yankees - or the Syracuse Chiefs for that matter.

It seems that you have little respect for Syracuse University or the tradition of Syracuse University Football. It seems that you don't appreciate or understand, or know about the players, the success, the bowl games - the tradition - none of it. Sorry, but if you don't appreciate or respect what we have had for so many years, then you probably should join another board.

Your kind of self-disrespecting Syracuse Football fan is exactly what we don't need. We need fans who are proud not ones who disparage.

So, while you're at it, lets not only get rid of the Yankee pinstripes, lets get rid of the Michigan winged helmet and the USC gold pants and the Buckeye helmet decals and the Texas Longhorn mascot!!

Lets get rid of everything and look like nobody - lets wear black jerseys and pants or grey jerseys and pants - so we can maybe make a buck and maybe tickle some kid in North Miami - during a two hour visit - who might wind up spending perhaps three to four years on the Hill and never be heard from again.

When I watch a Syracuse University Football game it would be nice if I could recognize my team.

It would be nice if I could watch a young player wearing an orange helmet and orange pants and think back on days when I was watching Kirby Dar Dar or Donovin Darius or Don McPherson or Scott Schwedes or Larry Csonka!

When the Orange takes the field this Saturday, I will look and see, what? Oklahoma State or Washington State or Rutgers? Who?

I'll see a group of guys wearing all white. I won't see anything I recognize.

And I should take solace - I shouldn't worry - because I can always look at the score on the screen and decipher the identity of my team?

Sorry, but it just doesn't work for me.

Bring back the traditional Syracuse University Football look and those of you in the athletic administration who have no other connection to the University or Program other than a temporary job - and who will likely move onto another job in the next few years - should start thinking more about those of us who have lived and died with the Program for decades.

Last edited:
OrangePA said:
Your kind of self-disrespecting Syracuse Football fan is exactly what we don't need.
I stopped reading after this -- after I let out an "%#*^ you." If you're a "Syracuse fan" based on what they wear, then you're not. If you told me they were wearing maroon tomorrow, I wouldn't be any less antsy than I am now.

Grow up.

Last edited:
This is going to be BC hoops uniforms bad. Wait till the national media sinks their teeth in

Haven't seen any non-SU website that has had positive feedback on the blue uniforms. Most people think the numbers look ridiculous, and I tend to agree. They really bring the entire look down.

Marsh01 said:
This is going to be BC hoops uniforms bad./QUOTE]
Forgot that -- or did I never learn it? -- must be why Hopkins turned them down.

There is only one constant , and that is change. Or as Ditka stated , " If you live in the past , you die in the past".

Your right, the press release does not use the exact words: "base uniform". They only say the Navy Blues will be the home uniforms, the Whites will be the away uniforms and the Greys will be the alternative. Guess that wasn't clear enough.

I take it then we'll be wearing Grey at Metlife for ND

the font type they choose is fugly and unreadable. I could get used to the all blues if it wasn't for the stupid orange colored numbers and ridiculous font type. you cant read them. white numbers (and normal font) would've popped.

Last edited: