Uniforms @ Central Michigan revealed | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Uniforms @ Central Michigan revealed

CousCuse said:
There is only one constant , and that is change. Or as Ditka stated , " If you live in the past , you die in the past".

Change is one thing. Teams change their "look" often. It's the fact that we have eliminated the school color/name completely. And it's ok if some people don't like the crayola look. It's their opinion just like the opinion of some that like them.

GO ORANGE(men)

Ok...I am coming out of board semi-retirement just to comment on this...you all should feel priveleged. I kind of like the whites and blues...however I am not fond of the numbers. In my opinion, the main thing I don't like about the new unis is not enough orange...afterall we are the Syracuse Orange...not the Syracuse Whites or Syracuse Blues. Some of the changes are good, I think it makes the unis more modern and appealing to the younger generations, who we are trying to recruit. I just hope we don't lose our indentity and sell out our history and name just to make money from Nike...So in conclusion, I think the whites and blues are cool, just need a some more orange in them. As stated, definitely not sold on the numbers, but if the kids like them, so be it...

Finally...basically as long as the Orange win, whatever uniform colors/style they wear is fine with me...LET'S GO ORANGE!!!

Ok...back to my self-imposed semi-retirement/lurker status...

This is going to be BC hoops uniforms bad. Wait till the national media sinks their teeth in
I am not a fan of new look, but nothing will beat the BC hoops game last year. Now that was embarrassing when they could've went to the classic late 80s all orange look. We looked like that NIT game in the early 00's.

I am not a fan of new look, but nothing will beat the BC hoops game last year. Now that was embarrassing when they could've went to the classic late 80s all orange look. We looked like that NIT game in the early 00's.

Wow great point! I write for a living and I'm not sure I have the vocabulary to describe how bad those were. That BC night was just awful for so many reasons.

Wow great point! I write for a living and I'm not sure I have the vocabulary to describe how bad those were. That BC night was just awful for so many reasons.

Hopefully those unis are where they belong, in an ash can...

I stopped reading after this -- after I let out an "%#*^ you." If you're a "Syracuse fan" based on what they wear, then you're not. If you told me they were wearing maroon tomorrow, I wouldn't be any less antsy than I am now.

Grow up.

Until this thread I am pretty sure I have never seen you before.

Your posts on this topic have been a bit churlish, non-fact-based, and pretty unimpressive.

You really went after Bees - a guy who has been attending SU Football games for 50 years and who is as relevant to the program as anybody these days - he and guys like him matter - they are the ones who truly support the program.

And if he is bothered by the uniform, that should be noted.

And if you have no problem with maroon uniforms that pretty much tells me that you're probably not the kind of fan that the Program needs or should serve.

Now, if you would like to curse me out a bit more, please feel free to do so. It really doesn't matter.

Puh-lease. Do you think one of the richest professional baseball teams and a private-university-in-what-many-people-think-is-a-bad-climate are on equal negotiating terms for the people who don their uniforms. Make up history that Syracuse wore the same uniform before Nike "took over" all you want -- but, to use a line Judge Judy also likes to use, don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

So how different is Syracuse from Penn State? Either tradition matters or it doesn't. To some of us, it does.

(P.S. - we sell WAY more gear for Nike that they do.)

Press release on SU Athletics webpage:
"At home, Syracuse will wear their familiar navy uniform finished by an orange anodized helmet with navy embellishments. The white away jersey and pants feature navy stripes and are capped by a white matte-finish helmet. The team's new alternate dark steel grey uniform with orange stripes will feature a navy helmet to complete the design trio."
I'm not going to dig for quotes, but they also discussed mixing and matching the trio to make more combinations.
3 helmets X 3 jerseys X 3 pants = 27 possible uniforms this season. It will rise to 48 combos once the orange jersey/pants are introduced.

That's a lot of griping. If they wear each possibility once, people can complain for four years until one they like comes around.

OrangePA said:
Until this thread I am pretty sure I have never seen you before. Your posts on this topic have been a bit churlish, non-fact-based, and pretty unimpressive. You really went after Bees - a guy who has been attending SU Football games for 50 years and who is as relevant to the program as anybody these days - he and guys like him matter - they are the ones who truly support the program. And if he is bothered by the uniform, that should be noted. And if you have no problem with maroon uniforms that pretty much tells me that you're probably not the kind of fan that the Program needs or should serve. Now, if you would like to curse me out a bit more, please feel free to do so. It really doesn't matter.
I hope you're a better lawyer than your memory belies. I've been asking the "Why do you care?" question about the uniforms for months, even responding to your earlier posts with pictorial proof that SU wore a lot of white in the golden age (love the "fact-based" slight, though, when we're talking about emotional reactions to fabric). Bees is a huge SU fan, among the best maybe -- and from what I gather a good guy. We just happen to disagree on this and other issues. No animus intended.

I do take exception to people playing the "You're not an Orange fan if you don't believe X," though. I own four season tickets and will use two -- total seats, that is -- as I live in DC. I get other people -- who normally wouldn't -- to go to the games. My grandmother graduated from SU before you were born -- and sent two kids and a grandson (not me) there (and then there's the other side of my family). Be high and mighty about what SU should wear -- and how others should feel if they don't -- but don't think I think you're a better fan because of it. I think less of you because of it.

Last edited:
IthacaMatt said:
So how different is Syracuse from Penn State? Either tradition matters or it doesn't. To some of us, it does. (P.S. - we sell WAY more gear for Nike that they do.)
If you have to ask this then I'll never convince you -- do you appreciate the capacity of Beaver Stadium? Is Franklin giving out free tickets?

People - Let it go.

Everyone has their opinions. They have been debated, and debated, and debated in many, many, many threads. Can the admins just delete uniform threads from now on. At this point we know how everyone feels - positive or negative. No one is saying they aren't fans due to the uniforms. There are people here connected to they highest parts of the AD and the university. I am sure they have communicated their feelings to them. It isn't going to change this year and likely next so lets just agree that we like the players under the jerseys and the name on the front rather than the colors, etc.

Oh and by the way - in two weeks we are wearing the greys.

And we already know how you all feel about that also.

The uniforms are part of the show. Fans are going to have opinions on them just like they have opinions on the bubble screen. We realize the coaches aren't going to make decisions based on our input but that doesn't mean we have no right to express our opinions.

There's also something to tradition, especially in college sports. The players aren't just passing through. They came here to be part of something. The way the team looks is a part of what they are a part of. Teams that constantly change uniforms, as we have over the last decade, create the image of a football program that is looking for an identity. Teams that have some consistency in their look create the image of having an identity.

01500_mcphphs0080001.jpg

I hope you're a better lawyer than your memory belies. I've been asking the "Why do you care?" question about the uniforms for months, even responding to your earlier posts with pictorial proof that SU wore a lot of white in the golden age (love the "fact-based" slight, though, when we're talking about emotional reactions to fabric). Bees is a huge SU fan, among the best maybe -- and from what I gather a good guy. We just happen to disagree on this and other issues. No animus intended.

I do take exception to people playing the "You're not an Orange fan if you don't believe X," though. I own four season tickets and will use two -- total seats, that is -- as I live in DC. I get other people -- who normally wouldn't -- to go to the games. My grandmother graduated from SU before you were born -- and sent two kids and a grandson (not me) there (and then there's the other side of my family). Be high and mighty about what SU should wear -- and how others should feel if they don't -- but don't think I think you're a better fan because of it. I think less of you because of it.

"Than my memory belies"?

I'm not sure I understand the usage.

I'm probably a mediocre attorney at best, but that's beside the point.

I'm sorry, I simply don't remember you.

I gather the uniform issue is your topic. By the way, I have always wanted a return to the white jersey with orange pants and orange helmets at home - that really is the classic SU Football look. So, in that regard, I suspect that the posts you made in that regard were not directed to me.

During this thread your posts have been unimpressive. Sorry.

Everyone has their opinions. They have been debated, and debated, and debated in many, many, many threads. Can the admins just delete uniform threads from now on.
Might be time for an "all-inclusive" uniform thread that all related posts are moved to - it's working well for the Rutgers posts.
Maybe a "let's argue about former coaches" thread too.

OrangePA said:
During this thread your posts have been unimpressive. Sorry.
No worries -- your arguments aren't persuasive either, as we both continue to have these threads (in which you make the same argument) and the actual players don't agree with you.

Might be time for an "all-inclusive" uniform thread that all related posts are moved to - it's working well for the Rutgers posts.
Maybe a "let's argue about former coaches" thread too.

I suggested that when it came up again before the Villanova game. I think it's a good idea. I thought people got it out of their system with that 700 post thread when they were first introduced. But I know I don't have to read what I don't want to - which is increasing quite a bit.

SWC75 said:
The players aren't just passing through. They came here to be part of something.

You're in the minority thinking this -- which is why Carmelo's donation is so extraordinary.

On the general point, I'd argue that as many players choose Syracuse because of their new uniforms choose Michigan or Penn State because of their traditional ones.

DRBartlett said:
Just win, baby.
Wait, you're saying fans don't choose to attend or not based on uniforms?

Yes because Texas is the only team wearing all white these days. They are probably one of 50 that has/had an all white combo, every team below already has had them...just google image "all white uniforms".

SU would probably be in the minority of teams that has not worn an all white combo over the past 10 years.

UMD
Texas
Ok State
Navy
Mississippi State
Oregon
Miami
WVU
Kentucky
Gulp...Rutgers
BC
Beleive it or not ND
Ohio State
Texas Tech
Washington State
Auburn
Penn State
BYU

There are plenty more, not going to list them all.

EDIT: queue the response "Yeah, but it's not THEIR base uniforms".
My response: Who said these were ours? Furthermore, who cares?

Just because we have these in our repertoire doesn't mean these are the base unis. If they come up with something new tomorrow, does that make the new uni our base? Did they throw out our last year's unis? Do those now become our throwbacks? When the Orange pants come out, do those displace our white pants worn on Saturday as our "base" pants?

Just win the dang game for the love of God...

Who started this damn thread anyways?

I just find all-white unis dull. Maybe it's just it's just me. Looking at old films, I liked it when teams both wore colored jerseys, when there was a contrast: