USA East Coast Basketball trip with Benny Williams | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

USA East Coast Basketball trip with Benny Williams

Chill people. August doesn’t count. We’ve had reports that we’re going to win the national championship in August and it didn’t happen. It means very little. All Star games are not conducive to SU basketball. Benny will never be a pro. He doesn’t do one thing that well that sets him up for an NBA career. He might end up being a really good four year college player and there’s nothing wrong with that.

This post seems very contradictory. Starts off so positive and ends up so negative.

Chill people. August doesn’t count. We’ve had reports that we’re going to win the national championship in August and it didn’t happen. It means very little. All Star games are not conducive to SU basketball. Benny will never be a pro. He doesn’t do one thing that well that sets him up for an NBA career. He might end up being a really good four year college player and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Right now I'm just hoping he plays hard, defends and works hard around the glass forget pro stuff. More than 7 or 8 a game would be gravy. All star practice or not he is still floating around and nothing looks like it's done with intensity and conviction. Good habits and bad habits translate. Doesn't matter the setting of the game it's about going out and playing like you plan to every night when you are a young player trying to develop. Hope we see that intensity at 1 today.

I mean, if you got tee and bees of all people basically saying "uh this doesn't look good folks"... uh yeah

I hope he looks much better at 1. I don't even care about points. Effort, movement and confidence. Make open shots, catch the ball and flush it when given opportunity. Gotta do the first three before that.

Sinking feeling Benny might square peg for us. He would excel in more of a man to man, high transition offensive team. If we don't play some 3 guard, man-to-man defense, and get out in lots of transition; might be another struggle for him.

That's not gonna cut it. I'm 6-4, 190 lbs and 69 years old, still play pick-up twice a week and I'm pretty confident I could get 4-5 rebounds and a put back or two playing 20 minutes. No blocks though--no more quickness when I jump--my mind knows when to jump but my legs are 2 seconds behind! LOL PS I can still dunk the ball with a running start--although just barely.
Hang on you're 69 (nice) and can still dunk?

We need to see this in video. Sounds awesome.

That's not gonna cut it. I'm 6-4, 190 lbs and 69 years old, still play pick-up twice a week and I'm pretty confident I could get 4-5 rebounds and a put back or two playing 20 minutes. No blocks though--no more quickness when I jump--my mind knows when to jump but my legs are 2 seconds behind! LOL PS I can still dunk the ball with a running start--although just barely.
That's awesome. I'm 6', not heavy, and 71 years old and I can no longer touch the bottom of the net. I could dunk when I was 18, which I thought was pretty good for a 6-footer, but not now. In great shape for my age but my vertical is now measured in centimeters.

Sinking feeling Benny might square peg for us. He would excel in more of a man to man, high transition offensive team. If we don't play some 3 guard, man-to-man defense, and get out in lots of transition; might be another struggle for him.

I'm not sure it's fit. When you look at Jalen Carey it was all about athleticism and speed. Those plays that he could make specific to that were fluid and impressive. More basketball savvy plays presented challenges and looked forced and mechanical.

Benny so far appears to have similar struggles. He does have a shot in his arsenal for sure but when he pulls the trigger, when he drives etc its delayed or seems it just isn't natural for him. Now out jumping an opponent sure. Movement to make the game easier for him and the instincts of receiving a pass and making a move or being ready for the catch just look awkward for him. I'm really hoping to see better today

I'm not sure it's fit. When you look at Jalen Carey it was all about athleticism and speed. Those plays that he could make specific to that were fluid and impressive. More basketball savvy plays presented challenges and looked forced and mechanical.

Benny so far appears to have similar struggles. He does have a shot in his arsenal for sure but when he pulls the trigger, when he drives etc its delayed or seems it just isn't natural for him. Now out jumping an opponent sure. Movement to make the game easier for him and the instincts of receiving a pass and making a move or being ready for the catch just look awkward for him. I'm really hoping to see better today
Yeah, I wouldn't think this USA East Coast team is running Syracuse Zone and offense either. So, if Benny is still struggling; might suggest it's not the system that's causing the trouble.

Benny needs to shoot a jump shot next time through the line

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom