Va Tech Thoughts... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Va Tech Thoughts...

We aren't good. We were good when we change.

All the real stats that we should be focusing on say otherwise to your point.

But maybe the sun will come up in the west tomorrow as well. Who really knows. /s
So you think Boeheim should play his 5 best players 40 minutes? Or sub for 2 minutes to give the starter a break? Or in case of foul trouble? From what your saying, Benny and Bell are going to be negatives whenever they're on the floor.

Really not sure what gets Taylor put in the same category as Brown. As of now it seems more like Brown is Mr. 4 while its still a battle for who is worthy of mins between Taylor Benny and Bell. They are all flawed in ways where one does not separate too far from the others.

One thing that the people in the pro Taylor crowd have to acknowledge is this. He. Also. Does. Not. Get. Boards. He has been playing more mins than Bell these last 5 games and has the same meager board numbers. I like Taylor the best now because he looks the best in the zone and limits the bonehead plays compared to Benny and Bell (way less turnovers). But he is equally poor on the glass for a 3 and has similar limits to his offensive game. Brown is the only one of our forwards where I think it would be foolish not to play him. Taylor? Good, probably the best right now, but more like Bell and Benny than people are saying. Bell would be getting trashed to no end if he got 2 boards in 29 mins.

Any team who wins the ACC is a 100% lock for the NCAAT. This team is getting better and will be a tough out going forward.

Yeah, it's relatively convenient to believe this while getting W's against poor teams during this stretch. I happen to look more at the teams that we played that are worth half a darn of late, Pitt and UVA as mentioned. And, again, we were down 20 points in the second half against both.

One of the games we are "getting better" came against a team in Louisville, escaping with a one point W. This against a team that has yet to win a conference game, and has won a total of 2 (2-15) games to date. The other W is against a BC team that is 2-4 in conference and 8-9 overall. Our next opponent in ND is 1-5 in conference and 9-8 overall.

I expect after we get the W on Saturday against another lousy opponent, we'll be getting even better yet.

We saw the lineup that can win games last night.
I want more of that lineup.
I want SU to rack up wins, and maybe salvage this season.

If Benny thinks he's been "done wrong" and should have played 35" and Brown 10", then he's living in an alternate reality.
Benny is an athlete who has to learn how to play basketball.
Brown is a basketball player, and a very good one IMO.

Really not sure what gets Taylor put in the same category as Brown. As of now it seems more like Brown is Mr. 4 while its still a battle for who is worthy of mins between Taylor Benny and Bell. They are all flawed in ways where one does not separate too far from the others.

One thing that the people in the pro Taylor crowd have to acknowledge is this. He. Also. Does. Not. Get. Boards. He has been playing more mins than Bell these last 5 games and has the same meager board numbers. I like Taylor the best now because he looks the best in the zone and limits the bonehead plays compared to Benny and Bell (way less turnovers). But he is equally poor on the glass for a 3 and has similar limits to his offensive game. Brown is the only one of our forwards where I think it would be foolish not to play him. Taylor? Good, probably the best right now, but more like Bell and Benny than people are saying. Bell would be getting trashed to no end if he got 2 boards in 29 mins.
Not sure why anybody thinks a guy playing 3 is going to get many rebounds. On defense he has to run around the perimeter or run out on shooters far away from the basket and on offense he sets up beyond the perimeter to space the floor and shoot 3's. The only chance he gets is when his guy goes to the paint and then he has to out rebound Jesse and the other bigs down low.

That's fine. I want him to stay. I don't want him to start now.

Brown and JT have shown a much more multi-faceted game. I would like them both to start over Bell and Benny.

I'm not here to massage someone's ego or feelings. We need wins and need them now.

Again, I like Bell. I like Benny. But I don't like losing.
It can be difficult but patience is needed with most young players. Bell is a young freshman who came to Syracuse from out west - California (Utah) and he’s shooting overall .357 from 3. Look at how Andy Rautins,(.326 from 3, .377 overall) DNic, (.236 from 3, .347 overall) did as freshman and they didn’t have to adjust from moving across the country as freshman. He’s playing an average of 19 minutes a game but in our last 4 games, he’s averaged just 15 minutes a game despite making 5/6 three pointers or .833 and 75% from the free throw line. He’s not chucking, taking bad shots. Lots to like for his future.

We aren't good. We were good when we change.

All the real stats that we should be focusing on say otherwise to your point.

But maybe the sun will come up in the west tomorrow as well. Who really knows. /s
Yeah, didn't say we were good.

All the real stats don't take player psych and staff relationships (carrot/sticks) into it which was my point that you didn't address. Stats tell us a lot but they don't tell us everything. You can acknowledge that without being weirdly dismissive

Exactly! Much rather keep Brown and JT happy especially in the long run. Seem like two team guys who just play hard and do what it takes to win. They’ve waited patiently for their turn and it seems like they’ve earned the playing time over Bell and Benny. Both are from Virginia. Can you imagine if they became frustrated and left Syracuse to go to Va. Tech or UVA? That would hurt

Taylor is not a good rebounder, but he's also way better on defense than Bell or Benny. Look at the numbers with him on the court. It really shouldn't be an argument.

Yeah, it's relatively convenient to believe this while getting W's against poor teams during this stretch. I happen to look more at the teams that we played that are worth half a darn of late, Pitt and UVA as mentioned. And, again, we were down 20 points in the second half against both.

One of the games we are "getting better" came against a team in Louisville, escaping with a one point W. This against a team that has yet to win a conference game, and has won a total of 2 (2-15) games to date. The other W is against a BC team that is 2-4 in conference and 8-9 overall. Our next opponent in ND is 1-5 in conference and 9-8 overall.

I expect after we get the W on Saturday against another lousy opponent, we'll be getting even better yet.
This team is playing 4 and 5 freshman who I think are solid recruits. So, when I see them making less mistakes and getting more confident, yes I think they are progressing and getting better. Only time will tell.

It can be difficult but patience is needed with most young players. Bell is a young freshman who came to Syracuse from out west - California (Utah) and he’s shooting overall .357 from 3. Look at how Andy Rautins,(.326 from 3, .377 overall) DNic, (.236 from 3, .347 overall) did as freshman and they didn’t have to adjust from moving across the country as freshman. He’s playing an average of 19 minutes a game but in our last 4 games, he’s averaged just 15 minutes a game despite making 5/6 three pointers or .833 and 75% from the free throw line. He’s not chucking, taking bad shots. Lots to like for his future.

So we should risk Maliq and JT because Bell is from the west coast?

Not seeing it. No one is saying he can't stay and get better.

I'm saying start the best lineup.

Yeah, didn't say we were good.

All the real stats don't take player psych and staff relationships (carrot/sticks) into it which was my point that you didn't address. Stats tell us a lot but they don't tell us everything. You can acknowledge that without being weirdly dismissive

Why risk Maliq and JT for Bell and Benny? Are you willing to make that bet?

Because you are pushing out Brown and JT by starting someone who makes us lose.

Why does Bell get to be treated with kid gloves and not the guys that are helping us? Can you imagine of Brown and JT bolt because we stayed with Bell and Benny and kept losing?
Fair enough, I understand where you’re coming from.

I guess where my thoughts differ from yours are: a) I don’t think starting Bell “makes us lose”, and b) I’m coming from the perspective that at this point, Taylor and Maliq are both fairly happy with their PT, and I think they both believe they have paths to a lot of PT next year, as well.

Obviously, I could be wrong with my second assumption. If the staff believes that either Taylor or Maliq would jump to the portal simply because they never cracked the starting lineup (even though they played more minutes and more important minutes) that would change my thinking.

Fair enough, I understand where you’re coming from.

I guess where my thoughts differ from yours are: a) I don’t think starting Bell “makes us lose”, and b) I’m coming from the perspective that at this point, Taylor and Maliq are both fairly happy with their PT, and I think they both believe they have paths to a lot of PT next year, as well.

Obviously, I could be wrong with my second assumption. If the staff believes that either Taylor or Maliq would jump to the portal simply because they never cracked the starting lineup (even though they played more minutes and more important minutes) that would change my thinking.

I don't think the staff has done well evaluating who we keep and let leave lately. That is my opinion.

I'll leave it at that, especially since we have zero 2023 recruits at the moment.

The thing I keep coming back to is that because there isn't a ton of differentiation, we kinda really need all of them when they're good, and we won't get that by cutting anyone off.

Based purely on performance it is mystifying that Brown hasn't gotten more of the forward minutes pie.

I could see Chris as another D-Nic but I don’t think he was starting at this point. Could Benny be Damone Brown?
DNic was an absolute space cadet his frosh year and most of his soph year as well. And then junior year it just clicked. And senior year he was a stud.

The thing I keep coming back to is that because there isn't a ton of differentiation, we kinda really need all of them when they're good, and we won't get that by cutting anyone off.

Based purely on performance it is mystifying that Brown hasn't gotten more of the forward minutes pie.
If we are talking about who needs a quick hook, we should have way more focus on Brown getting in for Benny as quickly as possible instead of Taylor getting in for Bell. One is more crucial than the other.

If he gets any more pie then he does now, Benny will be gone.

So we should risk Maliq and JT because Bell is from the west coast?

Not seeing it. No one is saying he can't stay and get better.

I'm saying start the best lineup.

Yeah, it's, let's just say interesting, what some here will attempt to argue to justify the status quo/existing plight. That argument may have carried some actual weight and been on point had Rautins or Dnic actually started as Frosh.

If we are talking about who needs a quick hook, we should have way more focus on Brown getting in for Benny as quickly as possible instead of Taylor getting in for Bell. One is more crucial than the other.
It’s not as simple as this because Bell is a worse net negative than Benny while Brown is a bigger positive than Taylor.

At least JB made the change to sit Benny first in the second half yesterday which is something, but Chris Bell is the worst defensive player and worst starter on our roster by a large margin so that’s why fans want Taylor to play more than him.

Bell and Taylor should both play about twenty minutes a game. They combined for 16 points and four threes last night. I’d take that every game.

Benny and Brown together at forward is another option for when we bring Brown into the game.
That could work. I do think some aspect of managing playing time this year has an eye on developing the team for next year and returning an experienced group of players who could really do something.

At this point I think I’d shorten the bench to 8.5.

Jessie / Hima
Benny/ Brown
Bell / Taylor
Girard / Taylor
Judah/Girard.

Symir becomes a situational player. I think it’s time to use Taylor as G/F.

I do not have any faith in Copeland at this point and JBA is emergency use only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom