Very emotional with acc move | Syracusefan.com

Very emotional with acc move

gilardino

Starter
Is is one the best moves this university has ever made. Had to be done, and I am looking forward to going to the acc. The big east is a joke, however I will miss it. Kind of like when you leave college, eventually u have to leave. So big east thanks for the memories. U will always have a special place in my heart.

Having come to the US in '81, Big East is all I've ever known. The BB Big East of the 80's was the best college b-ball league ever. Only really got into f-ball during the dream undefeated season, but the BE of the 90's was enjoyable then. Looking forward to renewing some of the old rivalries. Too bad we won't be playing Miami too often. RIP, BEast.

I think the part that bothers me the most about the whole thing is that the Big East name is now going to be used during such games as Butler vs Creighton and Xavier vs DePaul. I mean, c'mon. Put the name to rest and come up with something else to call this amalgamation of a basketball conference.

Good riddance to that cluster duck of a conference. It was great during the 80's, shot itself so many times I'm surprised it lasted so long. dysfunctional structure that doomed itself from the early 90's, had a chance to be special but instead was shortsighted. Can't wait to move to the ACC

For anything bitching, this post should be on the football board. The Big East is/was college basketball. It's a crying shame that it was broken apart by a fetish for a sport that can't even crown a legitimate champion.Yes, it will be cute to play Duke and UNC, mainly because we've been afraid to travel and schedule appropriately for so many years. But Gtown-SU and UCONN-SU, inter alia, are so ingrained in the blood that nothing will ever surpass their significance for at least a few decades.

If you want to argue about the meaning from a football standpoint, fine. But this board is about basketball, and this was not a basketball move.

Should we have jumped off the ship? Yes. Did we add water to the ship? Yes. Would it have sunk anyway????

For anything bitching, this post should be on the football board. The Big East is/was college basketball. It's a crying shame that it was broken apart by a fetish for a sport that can't even crown a legitimate champion.Yes, it will be cute to play Duke and UNC, mainly because we've been afraid to travel and schedule appropriately for so many years. But Gtown-SU and UCONN-SU, inter alia, are so ingrained in the blood that nothing will ever surpass their significance for at least a few decades.

If you want to argue about the meaning from a football standpoint, fine. But this board is about basketball, and this was not a basketball move.

Should we have jumped off the ship? Yes. Did we add water to the ship? Yes. Would it have sunk anyway????

No I don't think the conference would have sunk if SU, Pitt stayed. The Beast would have added a couple football teams to get back to 10. But would have been SO MUCH less relevant. Can't say I'm upset with the move at all.

I think the part that bothers me the most about the whole thing is that the Big East name is now going to be used during such games as Butler vs Creighton and Xavier vs DePaul. I mean, c'mon. Put the name to rest and come up with something else to call this amalgamation of a basketball conference.
I think it's appropriate that it's going back to its roots. It started as a basketball conference and now it's come full circle. The Big East name will be put to good use in match-ups like Butler vs Creighton. You've got a hotshot young coach in Brad Stevens, and a school that consistently fills their 18k arena in Creighton. It's exactly what the Big East was meant to be from the beginning - a basketball conference.

I will miss playing St. Johns and G-Town. Still have Nova... .

I think going into Cameron FH and beating Duke & then watching Roy Boy and Carolina Blue nation cry when we take them to the woodshed might be even better!

Agreed, the 80's BE was outstanding. The last several years however began playing thugball, looking more and more like the NBA. Ugh. The ACC will be a breath of fresh air, even though it'll take two years before we can "get a call."

I loved the Big East and was saddened when we decided to leave, but have come to believe that the ACC is the right move to expand the development of SU athletics. The Big East was largely about basketball but we couldn't sustain all of our sports programs there. We've grown in many ways and added emphasis to all of our sports programs. The BE basketball schools just didn't share that vision and left us no good option if we wanted to continue to grow on a national level. This is the right move for SU in the 21st century. LGO!

It's going to be interesting to see how this bears on the LAX program.

I am quite sad about the move, but happy about our future. We are entering the best basketball and lacrosse conference in the history of the NCAA. I can leave the Big East behind knowing full well that Jonny Flynn tea bagged that rutgirl into embarrassment.

Never been one for long good-byes.
If we were moving to a situation that was worse than what we left in the old BE, then it might hit me a little.
But the BE of our youth disappeared long ago, and both Syracuse University and the BE mutually benefited during the run.
To paraphrase that old British saying upon the death of a monarch: "The BE is dead. Long live the ACC".

I loved the Big East and was saddened when we decided to leave, but have come to believe that the ACC is the right move to expand the development of SU athletics. The Big East was largely about basketball but we couldn't sustain all of our sports programs there. We've grown in many ways and added emphasis to all of our sports programs. The BE basketball schools just didn't share that vision and left us no good option if we wanted to continue to grow on a national level. This is the right move for SU in the 21st century. LGO!

Great post.

I will miss the BE. I will never be thrilled that we're leaving a northeast-based conference to hitch our star to a bunch of southern schools with zero footprint in balt/dc/philly/nyc. I will never understand why there is such a compulsion to spend hundreds of millions on over-the-top athletics facilities. I get why we "have" to do these things, but I'll never share the excitement. It's fine but I can't help but see it as the beginning of a new era where universities constantly move around, plant shallow roots and your "rivalries" have little to no history.

Having said all that depressing stuff, the ACC could go a long way toward winning me over by putting the postseason tourney in NYC/DC on occasion. That would help at least.

Completely agree.

No matter how many times we play Duke or UNC...it won't be the same as G-town..not even UConn.
Duke & UNC are each others' archrivals.
They always will be.
They will always care more about beating each other than beating SU or anyone else.

It is absolutely pathetic that we can't schedule an annual G-town game.

And it surprises me that a number of people see to think that's ok...and that Duke & UNC and other ACC foes are somehow suitable replacements.
I don't care for them.
I want to beat them.
But I LOOOOOOAAAAAAATHE G-town and always will.
Keep hate alive!

I'm just sad that SU wasn't able to jump ship to the ACC the first time around. The BE hasn't been the same for me since they started to add the likes of DePaul and South Florida. It's a change that is overdue. Good riddance Big East. You're no longer the conference I grew up with, and haven't been in years.

As a basketball fan, I am saddened to see the Big East turn into something that has very little relationship to what it started off as. As a Syracuse athletics fan I am glad to see us moving to the ACC, because I think the Big East that I used to love is long dead and the Big East of today was going to put our ability to compete in all sports other than basketball (and maybe even basketball) in jeopardy.

In reality what I really miss about the Big East has been gone for a long time. I miss the days of playing everybody in the conference home and away. I miss the days of everyone playing in a three maybe four day tournament in NYC where each team you faced you were seeing for the third time on the season. I'll miss the rivalry with Georgetown. I will miss feeling like we were a better program than Villanova, yet still having them get the better of us more times than I'd like to have seen. I'll miss a relevant St. John's team. I'll miss 25+ straight wins against Seton Hall and Providence. I'll miss playing the NY area teams regularly in the NY area.

I won't miss playing in the Big East with - Rutgers, West Virginia, Temple, Marquette, DePaul, Lousiville, South Florida,Va. Tech, Miami, Notre Dame, Cincinnati....were they all really Big East members? I won't miss Providence... the school, the team, the place or the lack of vision exhibited there in recent years. I won't miss the unbalanced schedule with home and aways typically against teams from the top 3 in the conference. I am glad we aren't Catholic and I won't see Creighton, Butler, Xavier, Georgetown, Nova, Marquette, DePaul, St. Johns, Providence, Seton Hall...I am even happier that we aren't irrelevant and won't be seeing UConn, Cincy, Rutgers, Temple, SMU, Houston, Louisville, Memphis, UCF & USF.

Bring on the ACC. Times have changed and there is no going back.

Completely agree.

No matter how many times we play Duke or UNC...it won't be the same as G-town..not even UConn.
Duke & UNC are each others' archrivals.
They always will be.
They will always care more about beating each other than beating SU or anyone else.

It is absolutely pathetic that we can't schedule an annual G-town game.

And it surprises me that a number of people see to think that's ok...and that Duke & UNC and other ACC foes are somehow suitable replacements.
I don't care for them.
I want to beat them.
But I LOOOOOOAAAAAAATHE G-town and always will.
Keep hate alive!

I plan on continuing to hate Georgetown for many years to come...whether we play them or not. (BTW you can be sure SU will be matched against GTown in the NCAAT many times in the next few years). Playing Duke and UNC will be great...on to bigger and better things. Plus we will still get to play L'Ville and Pitt and ND. We will still schedule OOC games with Nova and STJ. All will be good in the ACC. I don't understand how some people think that if SU didn't leave , the Big East would have gone on. No way. If we were foolish enough to turn down the invite, UConn or Rutgers would have accepted the spot two minutes later and we'd be the ones stuck in the American Athletic monstrosity. I'm excited to be ACC!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom