Villanova has taken our rightful spot as.. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Villanova has taken our rightful spot as..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems awful weird to continue to admonish a player publicly when said strategy is clearly not working.

No this is where I ask you a question where you don't answer because you can't defend him and look like a human being.

My having to defend JB would be predicated on accepting your charge (fantasy) that TR has been psychologically affected or harmed.

Since I don't accept that. there is no reason to defend JB.

Now I know that logic is a little complicated for you. And I know you have to come up with a reason that makes sense to you on TR's regression as a contributor.

Stay away from the pop-psychology articles in the Women's magazines at the check out counter. They're bad for you.

Seems awful weird to continue to admonish a player publicly when said strategy is clearly not working.

What would you suggest? Ignore him? Accept it?

What's that tell the other players? That it's OK to dog it, to mail it in, to stop trying?

I think the style of the coach and the culture of the Nova program are the predominant factors.

You're right. Philadelphia is a professional sports town.

College BB is covered, of course, but it's small potatoes in our community. If a kid wants major league media coverage, he should play for Syracuse University.

I was with you up until your last sentence.

I read the Washington Post everyday and the NYT on Sundays, and I rarely see SU even mentioned. Three of Villanova's players are from DC.

It's a pretty, relaxed campus and it seems close to DC (3 hrs). It's just up the road.

I grew up in Princeton which is midpoint between PHL and NYC and we got all the PHL channels and I worked in Center City for a bit, so I understand the place. I have been to many, many games at the Vet, the Spectrum, the Palestra and Schibe Park so I think I get the Philly sports fans, who are in a special category.

Last edited:
We have just put together a recruiting class that should have us in the exact spot 3 years from now that Nova is in today. Along with Moyer and assuming Washington accepts his offer we have 4 players who are going to be around for 4 years. It's up to the coaches to develop them and bring in a top recruit in the next few years to put them in position for a NC. We were supposed to have a superstar class coming in what we got instead is a program builder that's going to go through some growing pains but will put us back on top in 3 years as long as we are patient and let them grow together.

SU's rightful place?

Villanova was good long before the Big East came around. They went to the NCAA tourney final in 1968 and played UCLA as close as anybody did in a final during UCLA's run.

The world is a big place. There are plenty of very good young basketball players around to recruit. Villanova's current success does not diminish SU at all. This is not a zero sum game.

What would you suggest? Ignore him? Accept it?

What's that tell the other players? That it's OK to dog it, to mail it in, to stop trying?

Have no problem with anything JB would say behind closed doors, what's the point of trashing him in the press for 4 straight years?

Ooh ooh. Do me next!

I could be wrong, but I don't think Townie watches Family Guy.

I think old episodes of The Rifleman are more his cup of tea.

the-rifleman-slice.jpg

Have no problem with anything JB would say behind closed doors, what's the point of trashing him in the press for 4 straight years?

First, "trashing him the press for 4 straight years" is a wild and unfounded overstatement of yours designed to dramatize your typically weak argument.

I don't know what he was trying to achieve when he criticized TR, if anything. He might have been giving the Press and honest assessment. Something JB does that few others so.

But your point --- made repeatedly --- is that this criticism hurt TR and you quite clearly don't know that. TR might not be as much of a "Drama Queen" as some are.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Townie watches Family Guy.

I think old episodes of The Rifleman are more his cup of tea.

View attachment 91915

I don't watch soap opera's either.

But I selected Al Swearengen for a reason. The Rifleman was far too meek.

Any reason why every other thread is consistently dominated by one poster? Is this ok to do now?

Any reason why every other thread is consistently dominated by one poster? Is this ok to do now?

Yeah, it's bad when someone dominates the conversation.
Poster No of Posts ( % of Townie72)
Townie 3497
DJCon 4525 (129%)
Two3Zone 8841 (253%)
HOFCeluck 9353 (267%)
Eric15 10805 (309%)

I was with you up until your last sentence.

I read the Washington Post everyday and the NYT on Sundays, and I rarely see SU even mentioned. Three of Villanova's players are from DC.

It's a pretty, relaxed campus and it seems close to DC (3 hrs). It's just up the road.

I grew up in Princeton which is midpoint between PHL and NYC and we got all the PHL channels and I worked in Center City for a bit, so I understand the place. I have been to many, many games at the Vet, the Spectrum, the Palestra and Schibe Park so I think I get the Philly sports fans, who are in a special category.

I guess I wasn't clear.

In CNY, Syracuse Basketball is major league. It is the biggest game - or institution - in town.

That is not the case with Villanova BB and Philadelphia.

With the Eagles, Phillies, Flyers and 76ers - not to mention Temple, Penn, St. Joe's, LaSalle and Drexel - Villanova sports, including BB receive peripheral attention from the media.

Philly fans are much more interested in their professional sports franchises than a Main Line college program.

Villanova BB is not at all to Philly, what Syracuse University BB is to CNY.

If a kid wants to be "king" of the community, he should come to Syracuse.

That's the point.

I guess I wasn't clear.

In CNY, Syracuse Basketball is major league. It is the biggest game - or institution - in town.

With the Eagles, Phillies, Flyers and 76ers - not to mention Temple, Penn, St. Joe's, LaSalle and Drexel - Villanova sports, including BB receive peripheral attention from the media.

Philly fans are much more interested in their sports franchises than a Main Line college program.

That's the point.

No question about it. You are right.

A University higher-up once told me, "There aren't any pro franchises here, so SU sports fills that role for many of the locals".

Now given the past role of the Syracuse newspapers, that intense local coverage seems to be a two-edged sword.

Of course, the coverage of the local teams in the Philly press (including radio) is so negative it seems like it's a single edged sword designed to hack the franchises to pieces.

I once listened to a radio call-in show after an Eagles game as I was driving from Princeton to DC on a Sunday afternoon.

After listening to the host and the callers criticize everything about the team for 30 minutes, I was shocked to learn that the Iggles had WON THE GAME!

Yeah, it's bad when someone dominates the conversation.
Poster No of Posts ( % of Townie72)
Townie 3497
DJCon 4525 (129%)
Two3Zone 8841 (253%)
HOFCeluck 9353 (267%)
Eric15 10805 (309%)

Considering I speak on a wide variety of subjects and your posts are strictly defending JB it's quite telling about post counts.

I once listened to a radio call-in show after an Eagles game as I was driving from Princeton to DC on a Sunday afternoon.

After listening to the host and the callers criticize everything about the team for 30 minutes, I was shocked to learn that the Iggles had WON THE GAME!

You just described the Lacrosse Forum for the last two games.

You just described the Lacrosse Forum for the last two games.

Probably has to do with the expectations. Time was when a bunch of guys from West Genesee HS were enough to dominate. Now the talent is desseminated across the country. The fan base hasn't adjusted to the new reality.

Not too many years ago, the high school lacrosse talent in Balt and DC was concentrated in about 10 high schools. Eight of which played in Baltimore's MIAA.

Considering I speak on a wide variety of subjects and your posts are strictly defending JB it's quite telling about post counts.

So my 3500 posts are all defending JB?. The reason you think that is because when we engage it's almost always in response to your trashing JB. And I don't like that.

I'm a counter-balance on here to the JB-haters and whiners. Think of it as a public service.

Don't you think that if TR thought he was being so mistreated his 1st year, or his 2nd he would have transferred? Or after his 3rd, Maybe he thought that the kudos he got from people after the NCAA last year meant he had turned the corner. And many here thought he did but his play greatly regressed.

Don't you think that if TR thought he was being so mistreated his 1st year, or his 2nd he would have transferred? Or after his 3rd, Maybe he thought that the kudos he got from people after the NCAA last year meant he had turned the corner. And many here thought he did but his play greatly regressed.

He was on the mock drafts almost every year, would have been a death sentence to his draft prospects for him to transfer. So no, he probably thought he could get drafted in spite of the poor treatment so he stuck around.

So my 3500 posts are all defending JB?. The reason you think that is because when we engage it's almost always in response to your trashing JB. And I don't like that.

I'm a counter-balance on here to the JB-haters and whiners. Think of it as a public service.

When have I trashed JB? That's rich.

Out of your 3500 I'm guessing 3250 are defending him.

I guess I wasn't clear.

Philly fans are much more interested in their professional sports franchises than a Main Line college program.

That's the point.

Who was the last "king" of the community here? Wes Johnson? He was here for a year. Before him, Gmac? People complain more about Lydon than they compliment him. People say good riddance to Gillon and White even though we probably win 5 games total without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom