Virginia Game Thread... | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Game Thread...

I would hope so. Solomon’s hit — while dumb on his part — doesn’t merit a one-game suspension.

The hit on the goalie doesn't ... but if Solomon swung on someone in the handshake line...

The final play was marred by two ejections after the game. Rode caught the ball and went to throw it downfield, when Nate Solomon hit him as time was expiring. Virginia players left the bench, and members from both teams met on the field as coaches and refs separated players. Solomon and Virginia’s Zach Ambrosino were ejected; NCAA rules dictate that scenario is a one-game suspension, however coaches said after the game they were seeking clarity on the rule.

He would not have been ejected for the hit itself so it must have been the scrum after the horn right? Not sure how he can get ejected after the game was over.

He would not have been ejected for the hit itself so it must have been the scrum after the horn right? Not sure how he can get ejected after the game was over.
Exactly my thought, too. If time has run out, the game is over.

if something happened post collision i'm cool. but if that's the case it was probably started by virginia as retaliation. didn't see it so i don't know. but you don't swing after a victory for no reason. need more facts.

The offense played much better today than they have the past two games. Putting up 7 in the first half was a nice showing. However, they needed to put up another 7 in the second half, especially after the defense and Madonna shut UVA out in the 3rd. A 13 or 14 goal performance would have kept this game from getting close. The opportunities are there and they didn't cash in on them. That being said, I still thought their performance was progress in the right direction.

The clearing game was better today. SU needs to try and find transition more frequently and capitalise on it. Their schedule is difficult and transition is going to be a key part of every game they play. I don't think the offense does a good job of finding unsettled transition situation within settled play. There are times they pick up a ground ball out of a scrum and fail to move the ball quickly and allow the defense to reset. They are too content playing settled 6v6. I saw at least 2 opportunities today for good looks off unsettled play and they didn't even attempt to cash in. Those opportunities will be important down the stretch.

The defense looked great and horrific at times today. The first half was fine, a 7-5 showing through 30 minutes was solid. During the 3rd quarter I really thought they came together. They were playing UVA tight, physical and weren't letting them get good looks. It allowed Madonna to snatch a few big saves up. In the 4th quarter they absolutely forgot how to play defense. They forgot how to slide, ball watched and left Madonna hanging on 3 close shots with time and room. Madonna let up goals to Connors and D'Amario from far out that I thought he should have stopped. Connors never got picked up in the clear and shot the ball unimpeded. D'Amario took a good hard low and away shot. Madonna ends up making a really clutch save in-tight during the 4th that saved the game in some regards because UVA was almost scoring at will. The defense had a good performance, but their mistakes in the 4th quarter need to be ironed out this week. They can't continue to put Madonna in situations where he needs to stand-on-his-head to keep them in the game.

Overall, the team played well. I would have preferred to see a 13/14-11 game, but a win is a win and I'll take a 12-11 road win in Klockner any day.
A couple observations. First, settling the ball when SU won turnovers instead of going after transition goals was a planned tactic not reluctance to engage. Kennedy, god bless him didn't follow the script. Second, I loved the time clocks. Again they were part of the plan. Slow controlled offense led to some very important goals and kept UVA from a Vesuvius of transition goals until they exploded in the fourth quarter. I could not be more impressed with the defense overall. From goalie to ssdm, SU kept some very tough attack men and middies from turning the game into an 18 or 19 goal UVA win.

Okay, I'll add a third. I liked the three middie lines on the field the whole game. The first group played a lot of long possessions, but they were energetic throughout the game. At the end, Trimboli, yes even Dearth and Dordevic were running around the UVA ssdms and long sticks. Desko and coaches planned for the extended possessions. They were right. And last, hats off to Varello and the wings. Even when they lost the ball they drove UVA crazy with aggressive play. Last year it was the grit and courage of the team I admired. This year, it's the obvious excitement and enthusiasm the kids bring to the game. I admit this win shocked the h... out of me.

Fernandez condition will be key, with Helmer already out we need him to be OK. If not were going to have to bump Murphy back to LSM or play Barlow as the back up. Sounds like Swigart is buried on the bench.
I believe Fernandez may have torn his ACL. Based on the way this trainers were acting when they were communicating with Rogers on the sideline.

I believe Fernandez may have torn his ACL. Based on the way this trainers were acting when they were communicating with Rogers on the sideline.

Would be a huge loss if thats what happened, I believe hes exactly on 30% so he maybe eligible for a med-redshirt but I will leave that call to OE hes pretty well versed in the med-redshirt jargon.

Last edited:
Lane has remained on the second line. If we bump Curry to attack, Lipka takes his spot as he has been rotating in. I think Desko is likely to change up the second line this week anyway as Lane really struggled again when he was in.
First three out today on second line were curry lipka and Simmons. Lane seems to be in a weird spot where he only played with the second line but didn't take all the runs. And third line was always the same. Best 6 without Solomon I would say Bomberry, Dordevic, Trimboli, Curry, Dearth, Refhuss. What do you think ?

Would be a huge loss if thats what happened, I believe hes exactly on 30% so he maybe eligible for a med-redshirt but I will leave that call to OE hes pretty well versed in the med-redshirt Jamaica.

13 games x 30% = 3.9 rounded up to 4.

He'll have 4 year of eligibility left if he has to be shut down now.

First three out today on second line were curry lipka and Simmons. Lane seems to be in a weird spot where he only played with the second line but didn't take all the runs. And third line was always the same. Best 6 without Solomon I would say Bomberry, Dordevic, Trimboli, Curry, Dearth, Refhuss. What do you think ?

Best 6? In my mind if your going with Solomon being suspended its Rehfuss, Bomberry, Curry, Dordevic, Trimbo, and Lipka. I might put Seebold over Curry but without being able to see practice I can't be sure. Dearth has the ability to develop into a good middie but right now hes pretty much MIA. Lipka just makes thing happen, id bump him first line and drop Dearth back let him run with Curry and Simmons. Not sure a second line of Dearth, Simmons and Lane is all that imposing, need to break that up a bit.

13 games x 30% = 3.9 rounded up to 4.

He'll have 4 year of eligibility left if he has to be shut down now.

LOL my wife was talking to me about Jamaica for our next vacation and I put that instead of Jargon in my post, lmao.

Thought that initially but when Desko called the timeout after the Lipka goal I thought I saw him standing on the sideline with just an ice wrap on his knee. Could be wrong, and I'm going to rematch the game tonight so maybe that will give me my answer.

hope that's not the case. speed is weapon.

Thought that initially but when Desko called the timeout after the Lipka goal I thought I saw him standing on the sideline with just an ice wrap on his knee. Could be wrong, and I'm going to rematch the game tonight so maybe that will give me my answer.

Ironic that two guys went down with knee injuries ... ON GRASS. :oops:

I thought that only happened on turf?

Update on #48 Fernandez, who I thought was great on the wings yesterday. Was in the defensive huddle during the timeout that Desko called, wiping away Lipka's goal. I think that is a good sign, he was limping but just had a bag of ice on the knee. Fingers crossed he will be ready for Hop Saturday.

It looked to me that Troy the trainer did a check on Fernandezs knee for an ACL injury (I’ve had one) -when he bent the knee and pushed to the side and up it’s a very strange feeling! I don’t know if that is what it was as it seemed to be at the side or front of the knee!

It will be a big loss but we have depth with DiPietro, Bomberry and Murphy as a pole rather than SSDM.

Solomon’s hit really wasnt that late I think the refs over reacted and the play of 45 in white retaliating should have held a longer penalty! Solomon was trying to walk away!

I think Seebold needs to see field now!

Last edited:
Solomon’s got wasnt late I think the refs over reacted and the play of 45 in white retaliating should have held a longer penalty! Solomon was trying to walk away!

I thought it was borderline late - a 50/50 call in any other scenario other than the waning seconds of the game.

There was no need for him to follow through on that hit. Bump the goalie, sure. Deck him on his arse with a second left and you should expect a defenseman to return the favor.

Unfortunately for Solomon the refs adjudicated the scenario in addition to the play. It was foolish by Solomon.

And I won’t be surprised if he eats a few nasty cheap shots should there be a rematch in the ACC “tourney.”

Did anyine
Ironic that two guys went down with knee injuries ... ON GRASS. :oops:

I thought that only happened on turf?

greg-schianojpg-744a7a210ded7896.jpg

According to this guy?

A lot of teams are suffering from injuries this year, que Quint or Paul C calling into the year of the injury! Depth will play a part this year!

I still don’t think Lane, Romano, McKinney or Carlin are getting it done. Carlin the same shot selection every time! If change these lines up with Simmons and two others!

Curry has the jets to pass people but needs to have more disguise and be smarter with shot selection.

I thought it was borderline late - a 50/50 call in any other scenario other than the waning seconds of the game.

There was no need for him to follow through on that hit. Bump the goalie, sure. Deck him on his arse with a second left and you should expect a defenseman to return the favor.

Unfortunately for Solomon the refs adjudicated the scenario in addition to the play. It was foolish by Solomon.

And I won’t be surprised if he eats a few nasty cheap shots should there be a rematch in the ACC “tourney.”
LOL UVA has to win an ACC game first. I'm not so sure how good they are. I thought their defense was pretty weak. Had it not been for Rode making some pretty nice saves, Cuse would have won by 3+.

How many pipes did we have ? I seem to remember at least three maybe four. Same in the Army game. Get them to go one quarter inch the other way and the offense starts to look a whole lot more prolific.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom