Virginia Game Thread... | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Game Thread...

How many pipes did we have ? I seem to remember at least three maybe four. Same in the Army game. Get them to go one quarter inch the other way and the offense starts to look a whole lot more prolific.

Isn't hitting the pipes a sign the goalie is good and the shooter had to adjust? Rode played the net very well and had at least 15 saves.

I thought our guys adjusted to make Rode play the full net causing the pipe shots to bounce away. I am happy the kids made adjustments, for the most part.

Regardless, your point about the quarter inch is spot on. Even if only two went in, that cushion would be much better and more demoralizing to UVA.

In my view, through three quarters, the best player on the field was wearing #17 for the Orange ( followed closely by #23). This is the first time in years that I can recall an Orange squad overmatching the opponents on wing play. It was a true joy to behold. The box score said that Virginia got more ground balls than Syracuse. I'm not convinced. Beyond that, I genuinely hope that Fernandez is not out for the season. His GB total (5) marks him as a key to the possession battle. It does seem ironic that, the year after Mariano and Salcido depart, both #23 and #48 are impact players.

Isn't hitting the pipes a sign the goalie is good and the shooter had to adjust? Rode played the net very well and had at least 15 saves.

I thought our guys adjusted to make Rode play the full net causing the pipe shots to bounce away. I am happy the kids made adjustments, for the most part.

Regardless, your point about the quarter inch is spot on. Even if only two went in, that cushion would be much better and more demoralizing to UVA.
As a goalie, I never felt a shooter hitting a pipe had anything to do with my play. Unless it was a short angle, then maybe. Otherwise it was a shooter trying to get to close to corner.

Ironic that two guys went down with knee injuries ... ON GRASS. :oops:

I thought that only happened on turf?
It happens on both, it was more frequent on the old school AstroTurf. But has evened out with field turf. I tore one on AstroTurf and the other on grass. I hope to never tear anything else.

It happens on both, it was more frequent on the old school AstroTurf. But has evened out with field turf. I tore one on AstroTurf and the other on grass. I hope to never tear anything else.

What does a goalie need an ACL for? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom