Virginia Game... | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Game...

In regards to Phaup, I think the standing neutral grip face off is less taxing than the old style. You still don't want to wear him down but the guys from the face-off academy said that the new style is not as physically demanding
Good info but I was exhausted just watching .

Phaup was sensational. Worst game Ive ever seen LaScalla have and problably best that Jacob has had considering high quality of opposing fogo.

Gotta say, I really enjoyed this. I know there were no fans at the game and therefore you could hear the sidelines better, but I can’t recall seeing an SU bench that fired up before. You could feel the excitement and adrenaline coming from the sidelines. The camera cut to Seebold after he scored and it definitely looked like he was talking some trash. There was also this which I found amusing-

The team definitely looks like they found their swagger.

Also, I may be reading too much into things but found it interesting that freshman Marshall McGuire was the teams “hype man” during intros, which is impressive. In one of the preseason interviews one of the veterans, I think it was Trimboli, made note of how seemlessly the newbies fit into the team and how big of an impact they were making. Anyways, just nice to see this class come in and, even though they missed their senior years, and their first year of college is not at all what they expected, still make such an impression on a team filled not only with fifth year seniors, but All Americans as well. I know only two have seen time on the field but it feels like this group is going to make a big impact for Syracuse lacrosse.

Hey gang. Just wondering what save % is considered good at the D-1 level? IMO, anything over 0 is incredible.

able to finally catch a replay up on the YOU. porter was tremendous in the pipes and i loved the quick clears. no bad penalties. also enjoyed carc's story of UNC dropping us due to celebrations.

Enjoyable seeing such team happiness , game and representing cuselax mattered ,what team sports are all about. Hopefully dhs doesn't take exception

Hey gang. Just wondering what save % is considered good at the D-1 level? IMO, anything over 0 is incredible.
Anything around 55% is considered good. Many variables - team defense, high scoring opponent with elite shooters, strength of competition, having a high scoring offense on your side (takes pressure off) are some of the key variables. A good goalie not in the ACC or BIG10, should probably be in high 50's if not over 60%. Looking at stats early in the season can be very misleading as schedules become more balanced later in the season and cumulative numbers have more meaning. If you look at Cuse's current schedule, world of difference facing Army and UVA versus Vermont.

After giving it the ol rewatch, the best part of the game has to be Wycoff. Went from being hurt in week 1, which you usually assume means he will be out week 2 no matter what the coaching staff says, to showing up and playing like our best seasoned defender. I am already worried about him leaving. Thats how good his debut was.

Gotta say, I really enjoyed this. I know there were no fans at the game and therefore you could hear the sidelines better, but I can’t recall seeing an SU bench that fired up before. You could feel the excitement and adrenaline coming from the sidelines. The camera cut to Seebold after he scored and it definitely looked like he was talking some trash. There was also this which I found amusing-

The team definitely looks like they found their swagger.

Also, I may be reading too much into things but found it interesting that freshman Marshall McGuire was the teams “hype man” during intros, which is impressive. In one of the preseason interviews one of the veterans, I think it was Trimboli, made note of how seemlessly the newbies fit into the team and how big of an impact they were making. Anyways, just nice to see this class come in and, even though they missed their senior years, and their first year of college is not at all what they expected, still make such an impression on a team filled not only with fifth year seniors, but All Americans as well. I know only two have seen time on the field but it feels like this group is going to make a big impact for Syracuse lacrosse.
I don't think I have seen an SU team play a better all around game then they did yesterday. Single individuals and groups like middies have stood out from the rest of the team in all the many good games, but to a man, this team was outstanding. From FO to goalie, from middie to attack, from ssdm to close every player surpassed himself. In all its wonderful aspects, lacrosse told the story of what it might be when a team will not stand for mediocrity, will not accept slacking anywhere on the field, and will not be denied, when SU met UVA yesterday.

One of my favorite of the many small contests on the field came when in the second half, Aitken took the ball down the left alley flexing all of his speed and athleticism toward the goal, with Dami in hot pursuit and good position, forcing his stick against Aitken's hip, giving no ground, then as he neared the goal and was about to shoot, number 9 took over and forced him off his line and behind the goal with a beautiful hip check. Two ssdms combining on a well coordinated slide. Typified the team excellence in a special day.

That’s the offense I was expecting to see. Not necessarily 20 goals expecting, but not letting the ball die in one guys stick, moving the ball around, more off ball movement and better spacing. 11 goals assisted is good. I don’t worry about defense, lacrosse is about scoring. If the offense can click like this nothing else will matter.

I know there is a lot of lacrosse until the UNC game but I can’t freaking wait for that game. Could be an epic type shootout.

After giving it the ol rewatch, the best part of the game has to be Wycoff. Went from being hurt in week 1, which you usually assume means he will be out week 2 no matter what the coaching staff says, to showing up and playing like our best seasoned defender. I am already worried about him leaving. Thats how good his debut was.
Couldn't agree more. Watching the replay, Wykoff looked like D1 veteran with poise, speed and athleticism. If we can get production from Wykoff and Hiltz like that going forward, it will be huge.

I don't believe I have heard Carc mention Pat March in the first 2 games. Is there some bad feelings from the lax alumni?

I don't believe I have heard Carc mention Pat March in the first 2 games. Is there some bad feelings from the lax alumni?
Do you think that Donohue was forced out? Maybe I am naive but it seemed to me that the decision was his alone.

For some reason, I recall Paul talking about Pat March some during the broadcasts and discussing his placement of Hiltz.

I haven't read this thread in its entirety, so these may have been mentioned before.

I loved seeing Liam Ferris get playing time and being aggressive in going to the goal. It looked like the other players on the field had to give him a bit of encouragement to dodge. They looked like they were pointing behind the cage as if telling him to take his man there. His shot hit the post. I wonder how much the invert strategy will continue for Syracuse. Certainly the two middie lines have guys who can play behind the goal. I was a little disappointed that when Cook finally got a shorty and took him behind the goal, he didn't go really hard to the goal. Maybe UVA was a little quicker to show a slide to him than Seebold or Ferris.

Landon Clary looked like a good #2 LSM. I don't know if he'll get to be an elite college lsm, but having a good #2 is important. SU has had some good #2 LSMs in the past, like Jay Abendroth, Sean McGonigle and Tyler Hlawati. The early to mid 2010's teams had Joe Fazio, Matt Harris, Peter Macartney, so there was depth there. If Wykoff plays close and Kennedy is the #1 lsm, it'll be important to get BK some rest and Clary looked pretty good on Saturday.

SU seemed to tighten their ssdm rotation on Saturday. I don't think I saw much of Brett Barlow, but he is listed in the box score. Did he play lsm or ssdm? It looked like he played lsm vs. Army. The only other ssdms were Dearth, Aviles and Dami, all of whom looked pretty good. It would be great to get a little more depth at the position.

I haven't read this thread in its entirety, so these may have been mentioned before.

I loved seeing Liam Ferris get playing time and being aggressive in going to the goal. It looked like the other players on the field had to give him a bit of encouragement to dodge. They looked like they were pointing behind the cage as if telling him to take his man there. His shot hit the post. I wonder how much the invert strategy will continue for Syracuse. Certainly the two middie lines have guys who can play behind the goal. I was a little disappointed that when Cook finally got a shorty and took him behind the goal, he didn't go really hard to the goal. Maybe UVA was a little quicker to show a slide to him than Seebold or Ferris.

Landon Clary looked like a good #2 LSM. I don't know if he'll get to be an elite college lsm, but having a good #2 is important. SU has had some good #2 LSMs in the past, like Jay Abendroth, Sean McGonigle and Tyler Hlawati. The early to mid 2010's teams had Joe Fazio, Matt Harris, Peter Macartney, so there was depth there. If Wykoff plays close and Kennedy is the #1 lsm, it'll be important to get BK some rest and Clary looked pretty good on Saturday.

SU seemed to tighten their ssdm rotation on Saturday. I don't think I saw much of Brett Barlow, but he is listed in the box score. Did he play lsm or ssdm? It looked like he played lsm vs. Army. The only other ssdms were Dearth, Aviles and Dami, all of whom looked pretty good. It would be great to get a little more depth at the position.

Barlow was at SSDM.

Shaffer Woody also got some runs at the end of the game at SSDM.
I saw his name in the box score vs. Army. I will watch the end of the UVA game again to spot him. Thanks! I was kinda hoping he'd get a chance there, since cracking the top 2 middie lines is gonna be really hard this year and maybe next year.

Wise to prepare Woody. Lose Dearth and Small for sure after this season and not a certainty that Barlow and Dami return after completing undergrad degree despite remaining eligibility. Expect Kennedy to need some time to fully get lsm legs n lungs back if shifted. Barlow is good athlete with good size., competent and versatile, capable of playing ssdm. lsm and even cd. .Having good depth could factor heavily this season moreso than others given questionable health environment that could still lead to several absences. Albany being latest example. Need to be prepared to step in.Be good to see some others on cusp see some time if any ensuing games allow..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom