Virginia Game... | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Game...

Desko and staff deserve five stars .

They outcoached Liars and his crew , threw some new looks and changes at them.

Desko didnt panic after Army debacle and his calm message got through and the entire team responded .

I was touting UVA and expecting a loss to be frank but still optimistic that this could be a FF team. Progress expected but this was domination in the second half. Maybe UVA had long bus ride but damn , did not expect us playing so well.

Desko said there would be some new faces and all contributed.

Hiltz was unreal, so happy for Seebold who was that attacking dodger Ferris rewarded with some minutes and looked fine out there. Quinn kicked things off and then others -first line AND attack -took the baton. . Scanlan not yet in stride offensively but his effort caused to's and he moved ball. Refhuss played one of his best games, looked like he and Hiltz been playing together a long time. Cook effort as always there. First line was what many thought they were. Fantastic. .. Phaup was sensational and our wings outplayed va. Never expected LaScalla to be dominated since he is one of the best imo. Very few transitions given up and our transition began to pick up. Dm's had a good game, Dearth was superb . Wykoff had a very good debut and cd in sync. Enjoyed seeing Kennedy running field again, makes difference hope that sticks. Porter was sensational, made the stops when most needed and allowed cuse to pull away, threw some crisp outlets upfield .

Many had jumped ship, Be enjoyable watching College Crosse ex Chris , Xanders and many others have to do a quick flip flop.

Impressive win, congrats to Cuse players and staff

Great win all around.Porter and Phaup were absolutely awesome! Wykoff was very impressive as well. ...Loved our offensive scheme tonight. Don't know why UVA stuck with putting a shorty on Curry, but that totally played into our strength.

Why is Curry still out there after a stoppage for a missed shot? Get the hell off the field. Passing and intangibles haven't improved at all and if anything look worse
Oof!

I had a virtual work function on a Saturday night?!

Just finished watching. As depressed as I was last week, I am the opposite elated this week.

The team deserved a lot of flack for last week’s result and we were right to criticize it. I think most of us did not give up on the team but we showed our salt city attitude. After losing to Georgia Tech and all but ending the basketball season, I was bracing myself for a loss.

Happy for Desko and glad to see the adjustments. One of Desko’s under appreciated qualities is his ability to rebound quickly after a loss or get ready for a game by adjusting in a short time. The single day between Saturday and Monday during championship weekend is a bear he usually can navigate it when we make it to the FF. This week in short...Sunday to Saturday with a lot of problems he deserves a lot of credit for preparing the team to face the number 2 team.

Last edited:
What a enjoyable game, aint going take JC any 24 hours to digest or me any 2am rewatches because I cant sleep.

Gonna remind Hood Dat that Hood Diss will now be coming to da Sabre...Only kidding . He's always graceful and I shall be.

Last Sunday was one bad game for Cuse, were still a very good team .

Tonight was one bad game for UVA , are still a very good team.

What did the midfield lines look like obv the first was the same but the second was Quinn, seebold, and Buttermore?
Did a 3rd like ever get in?

Wow, who saw that coming? I was hoping they could keep it close given the series history and the urgency after last week. But that was something. Credit Desktop and staff for turning last week into a learning experience, making the needed personnel changes and having the team ready to go today.

I was nervous after the horrible start with the quick TO then Kennedy got roasted by Moore from X and was bailed out with a great Porter foot save. At 4-2 it looked like things were starting to slip away. But have to credit the team for really locking things down and running away with the game in the second half.

Notable Stats:
  • 22/33 Face-offs against a good unit. Fantastic
  • Won the groundball battle against an always strong UVA squad
  • Only 1 penalty (The cross-check/interference/push on Dearth with the Laviano flop)
  • 12 turnovers. And a lot of them felt like they were in the 1st quarter. Compare that to about 300 last week
  • 19 saves for Virginia. I actually thought Rode played fairly well. But he was under duress the whole game
Offense

The Good:
  • What’s not to like when you put up 20 against a top team? I loved the pace and flow of the offense today. Crisp passing and aggressive but patient in waiting for opportunities
  • The middies feasted on the UVA SSDMs on inverts from the the corners, wings, and X. Especially Curry against Sallade (#32) who seemed like he had about 10 goals against. Everyone had the greenlight against him tonight
  • Related, Curry was getting so much attention when he would invert, it really opened things up and give him a ton of credit for finding the open man on the slides
  • Does it feel like Dordevic is hitting another level now? Had flashes of brilliance his freshman year. Injured the next year. Started a bit slow last year IIRC. But wow, that hard plant and shot from either hand is something right now.
  • 2nd Mids - Really productive night for them, and nice to see Quinn get a couple (on bouncers no less). It’s intriguing to see converted attackmen like Seebold and Ferris running with this line and inverting when they had the shorty matchup. Makes too much sense. Seebold had a great game with a couple goals in that situation and a real nice 2 man rub with Rehfuss at X to set up that goal. Also a really smart 2-man big little pick to get a switch on a SSDM which I think he scored on. Cook also took some runs. As others have mentioned this doesn’t seem like a good fit but I’m rooting for him and was glad to see him get some PT after the demotion.
  • Hiltz - We all expected him to get more time after last week, and he did not disappoint. Crafty finisher. Went 3-2 with an absolute rip on the Dearth break. Should’ve had another beauty on the crease but either hit the crossbar or a piece of someone’s stick, and there was the give and go in the first half that he got stuffed on. He’s the real deal.
  • Rehfuss had a real nice game, especially that aforementioned play with Seebold where he got some space and ripped that upper 90 shot. Very aggressive play from him.
The Bad:
  • Scanlan had the shorty all night and outside of that early awkward goal, he seems out of sync. Several bad shots. Clearly he has the talent so maybe its a matter of figuring out where he fits in the offense this year. Rode well at times with a couple CTOs.
  • Really sloppy EMO at the end of first half. Should have at least had the ball to start second half and ended with UVA starting the second with possession
  • Despite putting up 20, similar to last week they left alot of opportunities on the table with some poor shot placement and a few pipes.
Defense

The Good:
  • Porter was fantastic. They tested him low, ALOT. 13 saves, but some great stops
  • Very impressive first game for Wykoff. Started up top on the 3rd or 4th face-off, then moved down to close when Kennedy moved up to LSM. After playing your entire career in D3, then being hurt week 1, how about matching up against a top 5 attackman and holding him to 0-1 on the day, breaking a streak of 29 games with a goal (according to the broadcast)? Wykoff just has the look. Great feet, great balance. Seems like the stick is always right on the gloves. Reminds me a bit of Lade with the footwork.
  • Holding an offense like UVA to 10 is a heck of an achievement, especially after what we witnessed last week. Last UVA goal was at 6:22 of 3rd
  • Much better communication tonight. Switches were cleaner. Slides were made when necessary.
  • SSDM performance was much improved and what we would expect from that group. Really enjoyed watching Dearth on Cormier matchup
  • Clary looked good in his second game. Good on GBs and with the ball. Solid on defense although did get burned by Cormier once.
The Bad:
  • Kennedy didn’t have a very good game on D. Was beat easily by Moore a few times early and then by Bertrand up top a few more. Regarding Bertrand, he scares me the most on that offense so far this year. Seems to get to his shot or draw a slide with ease. Outside of Sowers maybe the most impactful transfer this year. Shellenberger is scary too, but seemed to disappear for long stretches of the game.
  • Again this week seemed like O mids got caught on D too much.
  • Was anyone else confused by why Carc really wanted SU to play zone a few times tonight? Hard to believe that given the limited practices they’ve had much time to work on that, and IIRC Towson went to zone in the first game against UVA and they carved it up easily.
Specials
  • Phaup looked great. Better at realizing when he needs to get rid of the ball and wing play was significantly improved
  • The defense did a really nice job against the UVA ride. Carc made a good point about blitzing the clear. Porter emphasizing getting the ball out quickly
  • Also thought the less-vaunted SU ride was very good tonight and had a few CTOs that led to eventual goals.

Will be enjoying this one all week. Take care of business the next couple weeks, knock off the rest of the rust, and get ready for the ACC gauntlet. LGO

What did the midfield lines look like obv the first was the same but the second was Quinn, seebold, and Buttermore?
Did a 3rd like ever get in?
It was Buttermore, Quinn, Seebold with Ferris and Cook getting some runs with that group as well. Don't think we saw a third line even towards the end with the big lead.

Wow, who saw that coming? I was hoping they could keep it close given the series history and the urgency after last week. But that was something. Credit Desktop and staff for turning last week into a learning experience, making the needed personnel changes and having the team ready to go today.

I was nervous after the horrible start with the quick TO then Kennedy got roasted by Moore from X and was bailed out with a great Porter foot save. At 4-2 it looked like things were starting to slip away. But have to credit the team for really locking things down and running away with the game in the second half.

Notable Stats:
  • 22/33 Face-offs against a good unit. Fantastic
  • Won the groundball battle against an always strong UVA squad
  • Only 1 penalty (The cross-check/interference/push on Dearth with the Laviano flop)
  • 12 turnovers. And a lot of them felt like they were in the 1st quarter. Compare that to about 300 last week
  • 19 saves for Virginia. I actually thought Rode played fairly well. But he was under duress the whole game
Offense

The Good:
  • What’s not to like when you put up 20 against a top team? I loved the pace and flow of the offense today. Crisp passing and aggressive but patient in waiting for opportunities
  • The middies feasted on the UVA SSDMs on inverts from the the corners, wings, and X. Especially Curry against Sallade (#32) who seemed like he had about 10 goals against. Everyone had the greenlight against him tonight
  • Related, Curry was getting so much attention when he would invert, it really opened things up and give him a ton of credit for finding the open man on the slides
  • Does it feel like Dordevic is hitting another level now? Had flashes of brilliance his freshman year. Injured the next year. Started a bit slow last year IIRC. But wow, that hard plant and shot from either hand is something right now.
  • 2nd Mids - Really productive night for them, and nice to see Quinn get a couple (on bouncers no less). It’s intriguing to see converted attackmen like Seebold and Ferris running with this line and inverting when they had the shorty matchup. Makes too much sense. Seebold had a great game with a couple goals in that situation and a real nice 2 man rub with Rehfuss at X to set up that goal. Also a really smart 2-man big little pick to get a switch on a SSDM which I think he scored on. Cook also took some runs. As others have mentioned this doesn’t seem like a good fit but I’m rooting for him and was glad to see him get some PT after the demotion.
  • Hiltz - We all expected him to get more time after last week, and he did not disappoint. Crafty finisher. Went 3-2 with an absolute rip on the Dearth break. Should’ve had another beauty on the crease but either hit the crossbar or a piece of someone’s stick, and there was the give and go in the first half that he got stuffed on. He’s the real deal.
  • Rehfuss had a real nice game, especially that aforementioned play with Seebold where he got some space and ripped that upper 90 shot. Very aggressive play from him.
The Bad:
  • Scanlan had the shorty all night and outside of that early awkward goal, he seems out of sync. Several bad shots. Clearly he has the talent so maybe its a matter of figuring out where he fits in the offense this year. Rode well at times with a couple CTOs.
  • Really sloppy EMO at the end of first half. Should have at least had the ball to start second half and ended with UVA starting the second with possession
  • Despite putting up 20, similar to last week they left alot of opportunities on the table with some poor shot placement and a few pipes.
Defense

The Good:
  • Porter was fantastic. They tested him low, ALOT. 13 saves, but some great stops
  • Very impressive first game for Wykoff. Started up top on the 3rd or 4th face-off, then moved down to close when Kennedy moved up to LSM. After playing your entire career in D3, then being hurt week 1, how about matching up against a top 5 attackman and holding him to 0-1 on the day, breaking a streak of 29 games with a goal (according to the broadcast)? Wykoff just has the look. Great feet, great balance. Seems like the stick is always right on the gloves. Reminds me a bit of Lade with the footwork.
  • Holding an offense like UVA to 10 is a heck of an achievement, especially after what we witnessed last week. Last UVA goal was at 6:22 of 3rd
  • Much better communication tonight. Switches were cleaner. Slides were made when necessary.
  • SSDM performance was much improved and what we would expect from that group. Really enjoyed watching Dearth on Cormier matchup
  • Clary looked good in his second game. Good on GBs and with the ball. Solid on defense although did get burned by Cormier once.
The Bad:
  • Kennedy didn’t have a very good game on D. Was beat easily by Moore a few times early and then by Bertrand up top a few more. Regarding Bertrand, he scares me the most on that offense so far this year. Seems to get to his shot or draw a slide with ease. Outside of Sowers maybe the most impactful transfer this year. Shellenberger is scary too, but seemed to disappear for long stretches of the game.
  • Again this week seemed like O mids got caught on D too much.
  • Was anyone else confused by why Carc really wanted SU to play zone a few times tonight? Hard to believe that given the limited practices they’ve had much time to work on that, and IIRC Towson went to zone in the first game against UVA and they carved it up easily.
Specials
  • Phaup looked great. Better at realizing when he needs to get rid of the ball and wing play was significantly improved
  • The defense did a really nice job against the UVA ride. Carc made a good point about blitzing the clear. Porter emphasizing getting the ball out quickly
  • Also thought the less-vaunted SU ride was very good tonight and had a few CTOs that led to eventual goals.

Will be enjoying this one all week. Take care of business the next couple weeks, knock off the rest of the rust, and get ready for the ACC gauntlet. LGO
Nice recap man. Appreciate it.
Will look for the game so I can watch it.
Who played on the wings mostly? Thinking dearth, avilies, and page, and wykoff to start and Kennedy to end, maybe some clary?

Nice recap man. Appreciate it.
Will look for the game so I can watch it.
Who played on the wings mostly? Thinking dearth, avilies, and page, and wykoff to start and Kennedy to end, maybe some clary?
Yeah either Dearth or Aviles on one side, about equal from my recollection. Clary took the first couple, then I believe Wykoff took a few. When they decided to move up Kennedy he split the rest of them with Clary. Don’t remember seeing any other LSM on faceoff or on D.

I thought Wykoff looked very good tonight against Moore which was shocking. Can anyone speak to how he had looked in practice and how high the staff was/is on him? Pretty impressive stuff for a D3 transfer. Kennedy looked pretty overmatched agianst Moore I thought, Wykoff shut him down!

Another for the good, on first look, it appeared that our shooters had either nice placement or changed levels this week.

Last edited:
It was Buttermore, Quinn, Seebold with Ferris and Cook getting some runs with that group as well. Don't think we saw a third line even towards the end with the big lead.
We were thinking we might get a little Fiorini out here in Bville but it never happened.:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom