Virginia Gameday... | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Gameday...

The WHOLE team played good. Joey clearly had bad night but did make some big plays picking up gbs and riding. This team finally gave heart and loads of it. They did not quit and went all out. Also seem gait played few more guys thru out game also i’m sure helped. As schmitch got run other spallina was playing decent amount. In these big games specially as fast paced as was have to play few more guys keeping legs fresh. Just total and amazing job by both. Let’s keep it rolling. Win acc tounry and possibly to get even top 1-2 seed then.
Right, "WHOLE". How bout Hottle's goal... and of course Dwan's crazy tying goal!

Or maybe he just finally started to read this message board?! I literally asked for this change way back after the Maryland game, but it wasn’t until the end of the 4th quarter of the last regular season game that he FINALLY did it. He put Leo at attack (took Mule off the field!), got Rhoa on the 1st line middie, and this let two of our 1st line middies go against short sticks! That’s when the game changed. This is what we should have been doing all season long and what we should continue to do going forward. He was not going to let this team lose on the day honoring his brother. Hiltz was Great, and he’s the one that can carry this team back to the Final Four. Hiltz is our #22!… Spallina is just not. Go ‘Cuse!!
My point was that both the men and women are like 2-3 plays away from both having 1 or 2 losses max with crushing ot losses. Aside from the cornell game that was just a debacle its been a pretty solid season

What does that even mean? Did English and Thomson not have their box skills in the 1st 3 quarters? They were better able to use their box skills in the late 4th because they were going against short stick defenders, and why was that? It’s because Leo was on attack, and there’s no way a team is going to put a shortie on Leo on attack. It’s pathetic that one of our attackman has been guarded all season by a shortie, so I agree that Mule has had a few good games (and he he’s a good finisher with good vision), but he’s hurting us more then he’s helping us. Even if Spallina did nothing yesterday, at least he drew a long stick defender. For a team that doesn’t have a lot of dodgers, freeing up the few of our middies that can dodge to go against a SSDM is huge! Whatever, like you said, agree to disagree
Maybe. Not sure why you're framing this as if what I said is confusing. Seems to me we both may be correct.

The WHOLE team played good. Joey clearly had bad night but did make some big plays picking up gbs and riding. This team finally gave heart and loads of it. They did not quit and went all out. Also seem gait played few more guys thru out game also i’m sure helped. As schmitch got run other spallina was playing decent amount. In these big games specially as fast paced as was have to play few more guys keeping legs fresh. Just total and amazing job by both. Let’s keep it rolling. Win acc tounry and possibly to get even top 1-2 seed then.

Joey had a couple of nice feeds, but we didn't finish.

He drew so much attention that everyone else on offense ran wild. Can't shut down everyone.

What does that even mean? Did English and Thomson not have their box skills in the 1st 3 quarters? They were better able to use their box skills in the late 4th because they were going against short stick defenders, and why was that? It’s because Leo was on attack, and there’s no way a team is going to put a shortie on Leo on attack. It’s pathetic that one of our attackman has been guarded all season by a shortie, so I agree that Mule has had a few good games (and he he’s a good finisher with good vision), but he’s hurting us more then he’s helping us. Even if Spallina did nothing yesterday, at least he drew a long stick defender. For a team that doesn’t have a lot of dodgers, freeing up the few of our middies that can dodge to go against a SSDM is huge! Whatever, like you said, agree to disagree

Goal to get to 15-17: Out of time out. No Mule. Rhoa, Leo, Stevens, and English all out. Rhoa is on the crease covered by a shortie. Leo up top with the LSM on him (Mayer). Stevens initiated against a shortie, and ended up dodging and scoring on a shortie.

Goal to get to 16-17: This is coming out of the time out when Hiltz missed goal when Nunes was out. Mule off. Leo on left wing. Middies were Rhoa, English, and Stevens, but switched to Rhoa, English, and Thomson after t.o. Rhoa was poled and we score on the screen and slip on the wing with English and Thomson working on shorties.

Goal to get to 17-17: Dwan transition scrum goal. Leo out as wing attack.

Game winner: I don't know who to explain the set. No Mule. It's probably a similar set to what Stevens scored on except Thomson is on the crease instead of Rhoa and he had the pole. Maybe UVA was anticipating more two man game. Leo was higher. English had a lot of the ball and had a shortie.

I think something is off with Spallina physically. He has no explosion at all. He was never a jitterbug, but he could dodge enough to get to his spots. Right now he can't even do that. He's averaging under four shots per game in the last six games.

Goal to get to 15-17: Out of time out. No Mule. Rhoa, Leo, Stevens, and English all out. Rhoa is on the crease covered by a shortie. Leo up top with the LSM on him (Mayer). Stevens initiated against a shortie, and ended up dodging and scoring on a shortie.

Goal to get to 16-17: This is coming out of the time out when Hiltz missed goal when Nunes was out. Mule off. Leo on left wing. Middies were Rhoa, English, and Stevens, but switched to Rhoa, English, and Thomson after t.o. Rhoa was poled and we score on the screen and slip on the wing with English and Thomson working on shorties.

Game winner: I don't know who to explain the set. No Mule. It's probably a similar set to what Stevens scored on except Thomson is on the crease instead of Rhoa and he had the pole. Maybe UVA was anticipating more two man game. Leo was higher. English had a lot of the ball and had a shortie.

I think something is off with Spallina physically. He has no explosion at all. He was never a jitterbug, but he could dodge enough to get to his spots. Right now he can't even do that. He's averaging under four shots per game in the last six games.
"game winner"... 2 shorties and one pole covering English/Thomson. Because English and Thomson are so close together, English draws all three and out runs them sweeping to right. One shortie, the last to cover English drops off/down to cover Thomson leaving English wide open for the winner.

A few players are battling through injuries, including Joey. Hoping that the break will provide some much-needed recovery time.

played well.

Some of the people calling for a little experimentation with the Mule spot got their wish. And it lead to some goals too. Mule made some nice plays throughout the game but I like the switch to a little more dodging power late. Especially with Spallina bottled up in his match up.

Or maybe he just finally started to read this message board?! I literally asked for this change way back after the Maryland game, but it wasn’t until the end of the 4th quarter of the last regular season game that he FINALLY did it. He put Leo at attack (took Mule off the field!), got Rhoa on the 1st line middie, and this let two of our 1st line middies go against short sticks! That’s when the game changed. This is what we should have been doing all season long and what we should continue to do going forward. He was not going to let this team lose on the day honoring his brother. Hiltz was Great, and he’s the one that can carry this team back to the Final Four. Hiltz is our #22!… Spallina is just not. Go ‘Cuse!!
I thought I saw Leo & Rhoa out there together at the end & I thought my eyes were deceiving me. Good call. Maybe it gave everyone else out there more of a sense if urgency.

Terrific article by Inside Lacrosse publisher Terry Foy, not necessarily an SU fan. It's surprising he gave up going to the "historic" Hopkins-Maryland game to come to the Dome. [This article isn't in the Virginia post-game media thread, at least not yet.]

The link is posted with all the other articles.

Right between the USA Lacrosse Magazine story and the Virginia Athletics story.

The link is posted with all the other articles.

Right between the USA Lacrosse Magazine story and the Virginia Athletics story.
Thanks. I'd looked for it but didn't notice it because I'd only looked at the highlighted links.

Thanks. I'd looked for it but didn't notice it because I'd only looked at the highlighted links.

For some reason, Inside Lacrosse links always come out looking like a "soup sandwich". None of the other ones do.

I'll bring it up at the next staff meeting.

And how about the coaches coaching Billy Dwan to go forward into the offensive zone on the play he scored the tying goal. If he didn't have the freedom to do that, or to be coached to do that, he wouldn't have been there. That play alone, plus his caused TO on Millon near the end (ignoring his long TO pass), might have solidified his place on the All-America list for this year. I nominate him for consideration as our MVP for this year. Or at least one of them.

After 42 games, it's 21-21. At one fairly recent point, not only had each team won the same number of games, but they had scored the same number of goals. But some folks here insist JHU is your rival, amirite? Just sayin'.

After 42 games, it's 21-21. At one fairly recent point, not only had each team won the same number of games, but they had scored the same number of goals. But some folks here insist JHU is your rival, amirite? Just sayin'.
I think part of that is because we've played them so many times for the title (5).

Personally, I prefer the UVa rivalry.

Going into the late February 2021 game, it was 18-18 and goals scored were 466-466. Pretty cool.

Since then, it's 21-21, with the Hoos leading 564-555 in scoring (if my quick math is correct).

Huge game from Thomson. I have been hard on him on his off days because he clearly has the talent. We say this a lot, but could have EASILY had a couple assists to go along with his three goals. Had spallina and English wide open on the crease and they somehow juggled the pass. Also had a nice hockey assist on man up with a big skip pass. He is slowly starting to add more dodging to his game and is showing some solid speed on his dodges. His feeding ability is as good as anyone on the team. And you cant put a price on what he does with the two man game too. Was great to see him make those big plays late in the game. Should be huge for his confidence going forward.

Huge game from Thomson. I have been hard on him on his off days because he clearly has the talent. We say this a lot, but could have EASILY had a couple assists to go along with his three goals. Had spallina and English wide open on the crease and they somehow juggled the pass. Also had a nice hockey assist on man up with a big skip pass. He is slowly starting to add more dodging to his game and is showing some solid speed on his dodges. His feeding ability is as good as anyone on the team. And you cant put a price on what he does with the two man game too. Was great to see him make those big plays late in the game. Should be huge for his confidence going forward.
Yup... check out the pick he set for English on the winning goal. It was PERFECT.

And how about the coaches coaching Billy Dwan to go forward into the offensive zone on the play he scored the tying goal. If he didn't have the freedom to do that, or to be coached to do that, he wouldn't have been there. That play alone, plus his caused TO on Millon near the end (ignoring his long TO pass), might have solidified his place on the All-America list for this year. I nominate him for consideration as our MVP for this year. Or at least one of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom