Washington and Carey in the portal | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Washington and Carey in the portal

I think carey quit too soon this year but wish him the best. Also wish jb didnt rail on him so hard. I think he will be a good player wherever he ends up.

I think carey quit too soon this year but wish him the best. Also wish jb didnt rail on him so hard. I think he will be a good player wherever he ends up.

I think JB and the staff really wanted him to succeed. The transition to a pure point guard just seemed to be a real problem for him.

So there was a little talk about HW returning (guard depth) going around...but I noticed this on his IG in the corner pic. Looks like he had a edit done and I'm assuming probably found a potential transfer spot. So the 4th guard depth thing u can probably shoot out the window.

20200530_185622.jpg

So there was a little talk about HW returning (guard depth) going around...but I noticed this on his IG in the corner pic. Looks like he had a edit done and I'm assuming probably found a potential transfer spot. So the 4th guard depth thing u can probably shoot out the window.

View attachment 181921

Seems like a great kid overcame alot so wish him well. But back when we recruited and signed him what was the rationale ?

Seems like a great kid overcame alot so wish him well. But back when we recruited and signed him what was the rationale ?
Want to know how many guys are recruited that the school doesn't really believe will pan out? A lot. They take a flyer on a kid. Sometimes, like Lawrence Moten, they are great. Most times, they aren't.

Just a fyi my post wasnt a negative against HW. I love the kid and want to see him succeed. Such a great story and even better Kid. I was hoping he would return for guard depth. I wish him the best in whatever decision he makes and will always root for him. He has had to overcome so much already its inspiring!

Why would anyone not hope for the best for these guys?

I agree. I only run down the kids that never came here. Think Jordan Tucker, Ishtaq Williams, the QB from Texas who became a great holder for the TCU kicker.

Needed a true 1?

If he could hit an occasional three he’d have a role despite not being big/strong. Passing and ball handling was good and he was quick on D. But there’s posters on here that could shoot outside shots better with their eyes closed JG3 could have used a few more breathers this year if HW could keep defenders honest.

I think he can drop down a couple rungs and average 10 assists a game if he chooses a MAAC team with no true PG on the roster and gets the minutes. I’d love him back as insurance if a guard picks up a long term injury if he can’t find a good fit.

Needed a true 1?

If he could hit an occasional three he’d have a role despite not being big/strong. Passing and ball handling was good and he was quick on D. But there’s posters on here that could shoot outside shots better with their eyes closed JG3 could have used a few more breathers this year if HW could keep defenders honest.

I think he can drop down a couple rungs and average 10 assists a game if he chooses a MAAC team with no true PG on the roster and gets the minutes. I’d love him back as insurance if a guard picks up a long term injury if he can’t find a good fit.
10 assists per game would be quite an accomplishment... only like 3 or 4 kids total have done that in the last 20 years. I liked HoWash, and I wish him well - but the odds of him averaging 10 apg at a D-1 school are essentially zero.

10 assists per game would be quite an accomplishment... only like 3 or 4 kids total have done that in the last 20 years. I liked HoWash, and I wish him well - but the odds of him averaging 10 apg at a D-1 school are essentially zero.

turns out the list is actually 2, Ja Morant and someone on terrible Baylor team in 95.

Edit: There was a guy on LIU in 14 who fell one assist short of 10 per game, but would round up to 10

Last edited:

Correct. I'll amend it to give him 35+ mins a game he should be top 10 nationally in APG.

He's not taking minutes from JG3 but I would love the guy back as emergency PG. Look forward to watching him on his next team he should get minutes if he picks the right spot.

Correct. I'll amend it to give him 35+ mins a game he should be top 10 nationally in APG.

He's not taking minutes from JG3 but I would love the guy back as emergency PG. Look forward to watching him on his next team he should get minutes if he picks the right spot.

I wouldn't die on the hill that howard washington was a good shooter but it's at least worth noting he attempted just 26 threes in three years. Shot terribly but a small sample size as well. Not totally sure we know if he could have been OK from deep. We've certainly played with guys who were not great from three, which is not ideal but also not unprecedented.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom