Washington and Carey in the portal | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Washington and Carey in the portal

[Too long—sorry. Ignore it in chunks.]

These three must have been incredibly frustrated all season, yet they kept it together and were 'team players' all the way through. I wish them the best.

Can't say i'm surprised by any of these transfers. Each makes sense, individually, though.

Lots of people here wanted HowWa to play more, earlier. But, i never saw a guy who, on offense, was assertive enough to push the ball past the three-point line. He simply never threatened to penetrate, and so his only passing was around the perimeter (since we didn't have a post threat to lob it into). He was decent on defense. But, even that is hard to tell, since the comparison between him and Joe was so marked. At least with Joe, when he gave up points, he was a threat to get some/most of them back on the other end.

Brycen leaving is harder to take. Still, completely understandable. When you play Buddy 38-40 minutes a game, it's hard to imagine JB playing him less as he gets more experience. Buddy was a top shooter in 3s made in the league, and Brycen didn't demonstrate any competence in that aspect whatsoever. Translating contests and practice performance to games—he needed to do that, just once. His D didn't (often?) translate to fast break points. And, of course, in a zone, it's hard to have individual d responsibilities, so if JB spits on KenPom stats that work against his son, i doubt he'd attribute any great successes to Goodine's D. In JB's mind, the opposing players either make shots or they don't. It's only a problem when it's Sidibe or Guerrier not getting there in time.

Goodine could have been a nice contributor. In another year, maybe he makes a really significant jump. But, facing another year of sitting 'too much,' when he believed he had the o-skills and demonstrated the d-skills, only to be frustrated again on another bubble team? Doesn't make a lot of sense. He's done the Dome Thing. He did the HoF coach thing. Next.

I don't understand why Carey wasn't better than he was. I completely understand him not trusting that he would get a better opportunity with us than he might find elsewhere.

Complaints about JB's usage are probably justified. I don't see practices, but i can imagine the system of him 'observing' from a high position for the first half of practice and then getting somewhat more engaged for the second half... doesn't really impress kids, especially when they think they're getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop. His not so random treatment of the players in games, is not something i would personally embrace. On a practical basis, to each of these three kids, an "HoF" label, on a guy who isn't getting them into games or the NCAAs is kinda moot.

I hope we're not resting our hopes on Braswell. Has anyone found (looked for) a comparable, re: his specific shin condition? I have a bad feeling it's a chronic thing, and maybe, at best, we'd be looking at Sidibe's last year season, where he 'can' play, but he'd have good and bad games because of it. And we'd never know which we were getting, even after we got it. Was he ineffective because he was ineffective, or because of the pain/weakness/instability? That's just going to be fodder for a lot of board squabbles... Just what we need. And, again—that's just guesswork on his condition. I don't even play a doctor on tv.

Getting transfers from the portal... Which kid is going to see our situation any differently from the outgoing players' perspectives? I think our best hope is if two or three communicate with each other, hoping to package themselves, expecting that their additions would 'ensure' us being an NCAA tournament-worthy team. If they see more Bubble, and that incumbents are still going to get 90% of the minutes, the 'allures' our fans think we have are going to be washed out.

he ran a 3 guard set all season, genius

Hey genius, I never said SU needed to run a 3-guard set. SU needed another body to play in the 3-guard set or alternatively, SU another body to play up front. Why? So they could rotate the 3 players playing the 3-guard set, even if one of them deserved to play every minute he got. That is not what happened why because they did not have enough bodies who could play. Either way they were one short.

P.S. You and I might think one of those 3 is a guard or played like a guard, but the coach said he wasn't..

No landing spots yet?

3 years of Carey with a redshirt to improve should be tempting given his rankings. And Washington might do very well as a plug and play SR.

I think both are best served leaving but each may do well enough to wish we kept them.

No landing spots yet?

3 years of Carey with a redshirt to improve should be tempting given his rankings. And Washington might do very well as a plug and play SR.

I think both are best served leaving but each may do well enough to wish we kept them.
I keep wondering if each of them had serious doubts when they realized all three had made their intentions known.

Hey genius, I never said SU needed to run a 3-guard set. SU needed another body to play in the 3-guard set or alternatively, SU another body to play up front. Why? So they could rotate the 3 players playing the 3-guard set, even if one of them deserved to play every minute he got. That is not what happened why because they did not have enough bodies who could play. Either way they were one short.

P.S. You and I might think one of those 3 is a guard or played like a guard, but the coach said he wasn't..

Don't worry about him genius. :) He's the genius that argued in the recruiting threads how Taurean Thompson was the "heir apparent" to Christmas at the 5 spot. And, how we prioritized and landed our number one 5 guy in John Bol Ajak during the period in which we were recruiting him among the others much higher rated we swung and missed on. Interestingly, Thompson couldn't even get a whiff of playing time at Seton Hall and Ajak, in yet another year we desperately needed major HELP at the 5 spot, red-shirted because he wasn't capable of seeing the court.

Last edited:
I keep wondering if each of them had serious doubts when they realized all three had made their intentions known.
i think they all likely encouraged each other to leave. doubt they haven't been talking...

No landing spots yet?

Rumor is Washington is close to graduating and could be a grad transfer and eligible immediately for 2 years.

With school being stopped temporarily who knows how close he is to graduating now.

Carey and Goodine will have 3 years of eligibility wherever they go.

Rumor is Washington is close to graduating and could be a grad transfer and eligible immediately for 2 years.

With school being stopped temporarily who knows how close he is to graduating now.

Carey and Goodine will have 3 years of eligibility wherever they go.

Yeah. Carey and Goodine both in line to play next year too Goodine will win a petition being from New Bedford 20 mins away to play and Carey sat this year. Now if all those Sr guards on the PC team return hes well suited to sitting for a year. But Brycen made that call before this stuff happened and its a no brainer. PC was about to lose all their guards who are kind of similar to him and he knew he had a 99% chance of getting an NCAA hardship waiver to play closer to home. Compare that to sitting behind Buddy.

Carey should go to Marist/Siena/Iona. Even A10 might be too tough a league for him. That league was sneaky good this year.

Good luck to Jalen wherever he goes but we all can agree, he struggled on the court and was hard to watch. My guess is that he will end up at Marquette with Howard leaving for MU is a excellent program with a huge fan base and an awesome new home arena.

Carey’s going to end up being a good off the ball scorer.

Good luck to Jalen wherever he goes but we all can agree, he struggled on the court and was hard to watch. My guess is that he will end up at Marquette with Howard leaving for MU is a excellent program with a huge fan base and an awesome new home arena.
If he goes to Georgetown or UCONN he will be one of my most hated players and I will only root for his failure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom