Washington Huskies | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Washington Huskies

Thinking about Hop for a second

1st I bet he was annoyed with Stewart over his JB comments, depending on the terms Hop left SU. JB was a mentor to him, hopefully there was no ill will when he left
2nd I can see this ending bad for Hop, he loses Stewart after this year and who knows if Carter and McDaniels returns, no recruits currently committed and if they are as bad or worse next year does he get another year
which
3rd allows him to return on the bench as an assistant for the 21-22 season and then JB can retire when Buddy graduates and the head coach in waiting is back in place for a season

Of course one of the assistants would have to make room for this and this is just a silly prediction
Hop has been the PAC-12 COY the last 2 years.
Lorenzo Romar got 15 years as HC of Washington he didn’t make the NCAAT the last 6 years of his tenure.
Hopkins isn’t getting fired in the next 3 years unless there is a major scandal and at that point we wouldn’t hire him either.

Hopkins should be the first call when JB retires he has shown enough. He isn’t getting fired though before JB retires.

Hop has been the PAC-12 COY the last 2 years.
Lorenzo Romar got 15 years as HC of Washington he didn’t make the NCAAT the last 6 years of his tenure.
Hopkins isn’t getting fired in the next 3 years unless there is a major scandal and at that point we wouldn’t hire him either.

Hopkins should be the first call when JB retires he has shown enough. He isn’t getting fired though before JB retires.
Good points, like I called it a silly prediction, unless what I mentioned happens and a new Athletic Director comes in and wants "a change" or "his guy" as they say

This may sound odd but maybe hop is too much of a nice guy.

For sure.

He did great as the "good cop" to JAB's "bad cop".
Hard to play both roles, and he's probably perma-"good cop" - it's just who he is.

For sure.

He did great as the "good cop" to JAB's "bad cop".
Hard to play both roles, and he's probably perma-"good cop" - it's just who he is.

yea i mean we prob both agree hell be fine but maybe a hc needs to be a bit of an intimidating figure v a friend.

Thinking about Hop for a second

1st I bet he was annoyed with Stewart over his JB comments, depending on the terms Hop left SU. JB was a mentor to him, hopefully there was no ill will when he left
2nd I can see this ending bad for Hop, he loses Stewart after this year and who knows if Carter and McDaniels returns, no recruits currently committed and if they are as bad or worse next year does he get another year
which
3rd allows him to return on the bench as an assistant for the 21-22 season and then JB can retire when Buddy graduates and the head coach in waiting is back in place for a season

Of course one of the assistants would have to make room for this and this is just a silly prediction
If Hop can't avoid getting fired after a few seasons, he needs to be reconsidered as the heir apparent.

Couple of takeaways from this thread

- Great that Hopkins is getting head coaching experience before the spot opens up at Cuse. Chances to learn, improve, etc. Only makes it a much more informed decision when it is time to replace JB

-Seeing a team like UW struggle this year further illustrates the great accomplishment of Cuse's streak of finishing over .500. Teams can get unlucky breaks, and/or fail to live up to expectations. That fact that Cuse never laid an egg for an entire season is damn impressive

up 9 in the 2nd half...

Huh, both our teams LOVE getting big leads in the second half and blowing them...……...at least we seem adept at pulling them out in the end.

If there was no shot clock, and four-corners was an option, watch out NCAA!! UW would clearly be unstoppable!

If Hop can't avoid getting fired after a few seasons, he needs to be reconsidered as the heir apparent.

He's not going to get fired. He had some solid seasons the first 2 years. I have a guy I do business with who is a ST'her and from his perspective is McDaniels is a cancer on the team. Don't know if that is factual, but it is what he believes.

He's not going to get fired. He had some solid seasons the first 2 years. I have a guy I do business with who is a ST'her and from his perspective is McDaniels is a cancer on the team. Don't know if that is factual, but it is what he believes.

A top 5 pick that effectively sucks is a recipe for disaster. Fultz got Romar fired with a loaded recruiting class coming in. Some guys just can’t tank their stock despite all the bad bricked shots. Who knows what the off court situation is there.

I saw the last part of the Washington game against Arizona last night, and have seen a couple of their earlier games as well. Based on that, I agree with your friend.

McDaniels looks like a talented guy, but makes some really dumb mistakes. The stupid technical foul he got for taunting seemed to be the turning point in the game. Washington had been cruising with a 9 point lead, which disappeared rapidly after that play. Hopkins gave him the hook right after that play, but put him back in a short time later. UW made only one field goal in the last 6:30.

At this point, agreed. But Hopkins has at least shown something as a coach. Hopkins is also in year 3. Like anything else in life...it takes reps.

Boeheim didn’t make a final four until year 11.
Hasn’t had a losing season. Hop’s in danger of doing that this year.

Hasn’t had a losing season. Hop’s in danger of doing that this year.

Jim is probably one of the top 10 college basketball coaches of all time. Top 20 at the absolute worst, even by people who don’t like him.

Unfair to judge Hop by those standards. He has already shown he can coach a team to overachieve and recruit. He’ll be fine.

Jim is probably one of the top 10 college basketball coaches of all time. Top 20 at the absolute worst, even by people who don’t like him.

Unfair to judge Hop by those standards. He has already shown he can coach a team to overachieve and recruit. He’ll be fine.
He probably will be. And I think it’s becoming more and more likely that he’ll be doing that at Syracuse.

Another home loss last night. Mired in last place in the Pac 12. They might not even make the NIT.

Well, in 1986, all they said about JB was, “he can recruit, but all does at practice is roll
the balls out”.

Coaches tend to get better with experience.

Good to great coaches learn and adjust as they go and Jim did just that. I'm pretty sure Mike will do the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom