We need to hire an offensive coordinator. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We need to hire an offensive coordinator.

I am now convinced that the zone leads to our offensive futility. From the players required to play it effectively to the slow plodding nature which doesn’t allow us to find any rhythm. When we press for 2 minutes look how much more freely the guys play.

This year’s team is the complete opposite of last year. All defense/no offense. We need to get some balance. I think it’s coming next year.

Hopefully. But last year there were plenty of stinkers offensively. UConn, South Carolina, Miami ACCT, etc. Mostly due to the heavy ISO offense and the freedom to chuck indiscriminantly. They could get up on a ballhandler and overplay passing lanes. No adjustments or plan Bs would be made. White and others could make lots of tough contested shots and there was lots of standing around obviously if anyone watched the games.

Still blows my mind that it was the best FT shooting and 3pt shooting team I have ever seen in the Boeheim era and we didn’t get into the tournament. Defense was a big factor but the offense still had plenty of issues, IMO.

Hopefully. But last year there were plenty of stinkers offensively. UConn, South Carolina, Miami ACCT, etc. Mostly due to the heavy ISO offense and the freedom to chuck indiscriminantly. They could get up on a ballhandler and overplay passing lanes. No adjustments or plan Bs would be made. White and others could make lots of tough contested shots and there was lots of standing around obviously if anyone watched the games.

Still blows my mind that it was the best FT shooting and 3pt shooting team I have ever seen in the Boeheim era and we didn’t get into the tournament. Defense was a big factor but the offense still had plenty of issues, IMO.
We don’t get enough easy points

I was thinking about this while leaving the game last night.. We had Andrew White, Tyus Battle and Tyler Lydon, and still had offensive struggles. That's just unacceptable looking back.

Why wouldn't he have qualified? GTech is a very good academic school and he got in as a frosh there...
I just meant that I didn't know if there were any (if at all) extenuating circumstances as to why SU wouldn't take him.

But they still ran. They haven't actively pushed the ball up the court and look to run fastbreaks since Ennis got the reins.
Have you noticed what happens when this team does try to push the ball?

It'd be interesting to see what this team would look like with someone like Alvarado (who was gettable*) or Matt Coleman at PG, FH at SG, Tyus at the 3, Moyer at the 4 and Chukwu at the 5 with Brissett, Marek, and Sidibe coming off the bench.

Missing out on Greene and then not getting another capable guard really hurt this season. Taurean leaving was tough, but not having a PG really hurts.

*Gettable in the sense that I think he would have committed to Syracuse, but I have no idea if he would have qualified at SU

You're kidding, right? You watch one game and think that he's could play at SU? This board is fun after a loss. I will tell you that much.

They don’t do it enough to make the point you are trying.
You can draw fouls, get open looks for 3’s. Defending JB here is pure unadulterated stupidity.

They don’t do it enough to make the point you are trying.
You can draw fouls, get open looks for 3’s. Defending JB here is pure unadulterated stupidity.
Deep breaths, Alsacs, deep breaths.

I am now convinced that the zone leads to our offensive futility. From the players required to play it effectively to the slow plodding nature which doesn’t allow us to find any rhythm. When we press for 2 minutes look how much more freely the guys play.
They should be pressing more. But you need some depth to do it regularly. I think you can do it with 8 or 9 deep. We had 9 when we had Thorpe and Washington, and we pressed whenever we got down (Gtown game, for instance), but still not enough. JB is a stubborn old coot and hates giving up easy baskets.

Deep breaths, Alsacs, deep breaths.
giphy.gif

Also way to ignore the points. JB isn’t always right.

Agree. Better and more of them/ballhandlers. Some homers are complaining how GTech clutched and grabbed all game. You know what? NOBODY worries about going up against Georgia Tech and their ‘vaunted’ defense, lol. Frank makes Alvarado look like Tony Allen. Nobody legitimate who covers the sport complains (at least publicly on any platform) about Virginia’s defense except sore loser fans. Villanova as well. If you have good guards and good ballhandlers then you exploit tight defense. Georgia Tech would still beat us 4-2/4-3 in a seven game series, IMO. Heck, Pitt and Stallings don’t even play defense and we barely could score.
I disagree. I don't think ga Tech would beat us in a 7 game series. They barely beat us last night. they wouldn't win one game at syracuse and I think we would beat them at least once at tech.

We have two shooting guards, along with three big guys who can’t shoot on the floor at all times. When we don’t have a forward who can shoot then this is what happens. Just have to deal with it at this point. Hopefully pull off an upset or two and sneak in the tourney. Then look forward to next year with a real PG, and Baze coming in.

Hopefully Tyus stays, and throw in Hughes and all will be well again. JB should make some adjustments but our struggles are mainly from the fact that we have 2.5 scorers. When Frank and/or Tyus are off then we look terrible. They have no one to pass to so they’re stuck deciding who goes one on one basically.

That's because the offense was still bad. We had guys who made tough shots that helped cover up bad offense. If "good" offense is simply guys making hard shots, it's not good offense. It's bad offense. Andrew White made big time shots last season. Hard shots.

I disagree. I don't think ga Tech would beat us in a 7 game series. They barely beat us last night. they wouldn't win one game at syracuse and I think we would beat them at least once at tech.
Last night wasn’t abnormal for us offensively.
I am not confident we would beat any ACC team in a best of 7 outside of Pitt.
Teams know how to play us and our talent gap isn’t large enough over any other ACC team.

They were still a top 30 team in offensive efficiency last season. But yes, still too much standing around at times. But way better movement than the garbage we’ve seen with this team lately. He needs to rethink what he’s doing in the half court offense. It’s not working. And we need to push the pace more, but our players do look terrible on the break. Don’t they run the UCLA fast break drill in practice? Next year will be better.

Yeah, Howard, Battle and Brissett all look to make something happen without numbers because they know we can't score in the half court. This team looks like they've never practice running a break. You need to pass and force the D to actually stop you instead of barreling into defenders in the paint.

We have two shooting guards, along with three big guys who can’t shoot on the floor at all times. When we don’t have a forward who can shoot then this is what happens. Just have to deal with it at this point. Hopefully pull off an upset or two and sneak in the tourney. Then look forward to next year with a real PG, and Baze coming in.

Hopefully Tyus stays, and throw in Hughes and all will be well again. JB should make some adjustments but our struggles are mainly from the fact that we have 2.5 scorers. When Frank and/or Tyus are off then we look terrible. They have no one to pass to so they’re stuck deciding who goes one on one basically.
The loss of Thompson really hurt us, as we all assumed it would. We need a big guy who can shoot and get buckets. He would’ve opened things up a bit. And I believe he would have improved on defense.

Carey's not a PG. He's a combo, like Waiters.

Yeah, Howard, Battle and Brissett all look to make something happen without numbers because they know we can't score in the half court. This team looks like they've never practice running a break. You need to pass and force the D to actually stop you instead of barreling into defenders in the paint.
But they do work on it in practice. Apparently it's still a work-in-progress for this group.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom