We win, and the Cooney bashing continues... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We win, and the Cooney bashing continues...

djcon57 said:
Shooting 40% from 3, 3 games into conference play? Southerland was last year.

I said the whole season. I'm willing to bet Cooney finishes over 40% on the year. When or if he goes under I'll eat crow.

I said his shooting sucks. It did. I'm done with this.

My scoring average with the ladies (I'm settled down now) was much worse when they constantly put their hands up and guarded against my advances than when they were lax and granted me more opportunities to take it to the hole successfully. We're only human.And sometimes I still get the dreaded shoulder tap - who brings their A game all the time?

Man, am I really going there?

Serious question..

He's 7-32 from 3 in ACC play.
At what point am I allowed to be concerned with this shooting against better teams.

I'm not asking he be pulled or anything. I think he played fantastic d, but again..I think there's valid reason to be concerned to some degree.
who said they were the better teams?

My scoring average with the ladies (I'm settled down now) was much worse when they constantly put their hands up and guarded against my advances than when they were lax and granted me more opportunities to take it to the hole successfully. We're only human.And sometimes I still get the dreaded shoulder tap - who brings their A game all the time?

Man, am I really going there?

Cooney had a bunch of open looks today. Like you, he didn't score, it happens. I just hope his recent shooting trouble does not continue on Monday because then there will be legit reason for concern.

I said the whole season. I'm willing to bet Cooney finishes over 40% on the year. When or if he goes under I'll eat crow.

You said "When was the last time we had a shooter shooting over 40% on a season that took more than 3-4 attempts a game?"

I think it's important to deal with reality instead of opinions. We're 3 games into conf play.

Southerland was over 40% 3 games into conf play as well.

"Cooney had a bunch of open looks today."

reading lips i think the layup hurt him personally the most.

Last edited:
Cooney had a bunch of open looks today. Like you, he didn't score, it happens. I just hope is recent shooting troubles does not continue on Monday because then there will be legit reason for concern.

I'm not sure of the context here. Is SU in even more danger of losing to BC? Always possible, that's for sure.

But how is a shooter's performance in the next game anyway predictable? And Cooney did not have many open looks (he did badly flub on the one or two he did have - but you have to consider how out of rhythm he'd be as a result of their generally good hounding defense on him). He hit 2 treys after nothing. One of them was huge, and everyone knows it.

TC still has no track record this year of costing SU a game.

Serious question..

At what point am I allowed to be concerned with this shooting against better teams.

I'm not asking he be pulled or anything. I think he played fantastic d, but again..I think there's valid reason to be concerned to some degree.
What did he shoot against Nova? Because that's the best team we've played. Miami, VT and UNC are garbage...

who said they were the better teams?

Ok, if you wanna go this route...

His games vs Baylor, Nova, St Johns, Miami, UNC (all RPI top 100) - 25% from 3.
10 for 40.

Is there a concern going forward vs the better teams that he can get open (in the same way Southerland's performance vs Michigan hurt)

We can definitely still win games if he's not shooting well and I'm NOT SUGGESTING he be benched full time or anything. I think MG should be playing more that 10 mins vs 36 to Cooney. I think a better rested Cooney will shoot better.

What did he shoot against Nova? Because that's the best team we've played. Miami, VT and UNC are garbage...
Please read my post below. I included Nova.
25%

Ok, if you wanna go this route...

His games vs Baylor, Nova, St Johns, Miami, UNC (all RPI top 100) - 25% from 3.
10 for 40.

Is there a concern going forward vs the better teams that he can get open (in the same way Southerland's performance vs Michigan hurt)

We can definitely still win games if he's not shooting well and I'm NOT SUGGESTING he be benched full time or anything. I think MG should be playing more that 10 mins vs 36 to Cooney. I think a better rested Cooney will shoot better.
a better rested cooney will shoot better but cooney sucks a lot of attention away with him. Re watch the game today. UNC was reacting to cooney. When silent g came in, things were more clogged up. I l;ike silent g and would like to see him play a bit more but there is no denying that defenses draw to cooney and open things up for other people.

i was not around this forum when GMac played. Did he get this much criticism when he miseed double digit 3's in a game? He had more than a handful of those in his career and he wasn't always hitting clutch shots to make up for those 'awful' performances.

Hitting a shooting slump, or a wal of any sorts for our players happened when we were in the new big east early, because we only played 1-3 hard teams early on. We did that because the nbe was so tough, and two thirds of those were in the early season tournament. We played maybe one tough team after the early season tournament after that only. And the early season tournaments the m2m defense wasn't good as always. I remember triche hitting 6 threes as a freshmen one game in 09-10 for example against a cupcake and rautins cooney southerland going off for 9 threes easily.

This year however we played, nova, st johns and indiana before getting into acc play and baylor, minnesota who gave msu a run today (and also played in canada as a team preseason), and Cooney did really good. BIG BIG difference to take notice to.

Last edited:
a better rested cooney will shoot better but cooney sucks a lot of attention away with him. Re watch the game today. UNC was reacting to cooney. When silent g came in, things were more clogged up. I l;ike silent g and would like to see him play a bit more but there is no denying that defenses draw to cooney and open things up for other people.

Will do. I'll let you know what I see.

And again, before the Delaware troop attacks, I want to restate. Cooney should be the starter. Cooney should play 25-30 mins a game. I'd just like a bit more of MG. IN MY OPINION...and yes, I'm not JB, so my opinion doesn't matter.

There, that should cover it

i was not around this forum when GMac played. Did he get this much criticism when he miseed double digit 3's in a game? He had more than a handful of those in his career and he wasn't always hitting clutch shots to make up for those 'awful' performances.

Yes. Specifically his Sr season.

Serious question..

VA Tech & Miami are "better" than Villanova, Baylor, Minnesota, St. Johns, Indiana and Cal?

I'd surmise, no... No they are not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom