Weitsman | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Weitsman

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love hearing names like Blackwell and Devo as ass't coaches. Neither of those guys have ever recruited at the D-1 level. The guy Red hires will have D-1 coaching experience and even more importantly, D-1 recruiting experience. We need a stud recruiter in a prime recruiting area. Neither Ryan or Devo fit that bill. True Orangemen sure. But it is that kind of thinking that helped get us in this situation. Red isn't going to make that mistake.
With Bethea a top recruit for ‘24 and Philly a prime time spot, Ashley Howard isn’t a bad name.

Philly guy, head coaching experience (albeit a bad record), but was a top recruiter for Villanova during their championship run. He also did get talent to La Salle - a bunch of kids transferred to either high major programs or to mid majors and are very good players with their teams - kid from Bryant who hit the game winner being one.

Following the big breadcrumbs...SU changed its NIL policy a little over a month ago in response to new NCAA by laws regarding NIL that went into effect in January.

Per Carlson's article on 2/10, the head of NCAA enforcement said the [new] rule "eliminates the NCAA’s need to have a smoking gun — such as an outright confession or a text message proving a violation."

“The (new rules) allow us to take a common-sense view of a fact pattern and circumstantial evidence and take it to the school and say, ‘The burden is on you, institution, the burden is on you, Coach, to show it’s not (a violation)." If charged, the university is assumed to be guilty.

I think that it was Bayside44 who said that AW was "flying too close to the sun." It looks like SU no longer wants to draw that type of attention, even though AW was trying to do whatever he could to stay within guidelines. The NCAA moved the goalposts.
This all sounds like a fair and plausible read of the situation.

I’d hope SU gave Weitsman a chance to modify his approach to be in line with the new guidelines. And I’d hope Weitsman wouldn’t find them so burdensome as to say no.

Either way, he should go on donating large sums of money to worthy causes aside from NIL.

Yeah, I'd say it's a fair question. Historically boosters give to their alma mater. I don't doubt at all he's good friends with Boeheim, but historically athletic boosting is a passion project for wealthy alum looking to give back to the institution they love and felt aided them on their voyage of success.

When someone breaks from that model, yeah, I ask questions. Maybe he is a huge Syracuse fan, I don't know. I do know he has used Syracuse games as a vehicle for self-promotion. I'm sure he has his reasons. But those reasons don't necessarily align with the school's interest.
Very well may give to LIU as an institution, but he admittedly wasn't a sports fan and knew next to nothing about basketball when he became friends with Boeheim through mutual philanthropic pursuits. Probably not a lot of enduring memories of LIU Athletics, particularly since he was not enrolled at the main campus in Brooklyn.

Except we can add two non recruiting coaches this year. Think that was the thought with these guys.
Looks like the additional two cannot be added until the 2023-24 Academic year. And has yet to be approved by the NCAA Board of Directors. Expect that discussions have already taken place if, indeed, Autry intends to fill the positions but likely nothing will be announced until summer.

Very well may give to LIU as an institution, but he admittedly wasn't a sports fan and knew next to nothing about basketball when he became friends with Boeheim through mutual philanthropic pursuits. Probably not a lot of enduring memories of LIU Athletics, particularly since he was not enrolled at the main campus in Brooklyn.
What's interesting is the LIU Brooklyn & Post campuses merged for athletic purposes a few years back.

Post did have a lot of successful programs at the D2 level - as did Brooklyn at lower level D1.

I have some intimate knowledge of the situation at that school, and no matter what affinity Weitsman had for his alma mater, he should not give a nickel.

Kinda weird. Everything I’ve read on this board from some very good, reliable posters, say that AW was/is doing everything by the book. Everything. So what is the BFD all of a sudden?
That is in the other half of the story, the one that probably isnt so rosy for AW

That’s what my wife tells me when the boy is home from college.
When it's time for him to fly the coop, disregard at least the first part. Nudge him right outta the nest.

That’s what my wife tells me when the boy is home from college.
Heart Attack Close Call GIF by reactionseditor

What, you don’t bring your own personal photographer to document all of the good deeds you do and all of the celebrities you hang out with?
I loved what he did with the make a wish kids. I'm glad he documented it. I don't care what his intentions were. He made a difference in those kids lives.

I love hearing names like Blackwell and Devo as ass't coaches. Neither of those guys have ever recruited at the D-1 level. The guy Red hires will have D-1 coaching experience and even more importantly, D-1 recruiting experience. We need a stud recruiter in a prime recruiting area. Neither Ryan or Devo fit that bill. True Orangemen sure. But it is that kind of thinking that helped get us in this situation. Red isn't going to make that mistake.
I laughed my butt off when people brought up Blackwell and Devo. Love those guys but come on. I can’t believe anyone was buying those rumors. As a number of us have been saying, including you, Red would target an experienced assistant with deep northeast/mid Atlantic recruiting ties. He’s making all the right moves out of the gate.

I laughed my butt off when people brought up Blackwell and Devo. Love those guys but come on. I can’t believe anyone was buying those rumors. As a number of us have been saying, including you, Red would target an experienced assistant with deep northeast/mid Atlantic recruiting ties. He’s making all the right moves out of the gate.
When it comes to all coaching conversations, message boarders have an obsession with only talking about people they know. I’m guessing 95% of the people advocating for Devo and Blackwell have no clue who the DC guy is.

Kinda weird. Everything I’ve read on this board from some very good, reliable posters, say that AW was/is doing everything by the book. Everything. So what is the BFD all of a sudden?
I could be entirely wrong but believe flying a recruit up for a game with a celeb was the really questionable thing for a NCAA violation because it can not be blown off as part of NIL and is pretty much a classic booster additional benefit.

I loved what he did with the make a wish kids. I'm glad he documented it. I don't care what his intentions were. He made a difference in those kids lives.
I doubt anyone has a problem with someone highlighting work with a children's charity. Anything to raise awareness and generate donations is a great thing.

However, it's the posting Insta pics of the 26 year old model staying at one's apartment, or the $300K car with the insipid "that's why I rise and grind, bros!" commentary that is a bit more offputting.

But whatever, people should do what they do. Life is short. Just doesn't mean there aren't consequences sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom