Well, I don’t post many threads but... | Syracusefan.com

Well, I don’t post many threads but...

Nahson

Your best friend
We got out coached today. More than anything, I think that’s what sticks out the most to me. I think the game plan was super weird. Leading up to this game, even ND fans admitted they were soft up the middle... and guess what? They were soft up the middle. Why we took Moe Neal out at any point in the game, is beyond me. Kid was getting 5-6 yards almost every time he touched the ball. Why we didn’t lean on that, wear out their D, keep Book off the field, and keep the pressure of DeVito is strange.

Good news is, we were playing with house money. We win, great, we lose, we’re in the same position... more or less. BC is huge. I won’t lose sleep over this, but I’m disappointed. What a bad weekend of SU sports. Shout out to women’s B.B. for being a bright spot.

We got out coached today. More than anything, I think that’s what sticks out the most to me. I think the game plan was super weird. Leading up to this game, even ND fans admitted they were soft up the middle... and guess what? They were soft up the middle. Why we took Moe Neal out at any point in the game, is beyond me. Kid was getting 5-6 yards almost every time he touched the ball. Why we didn’t lean on that, wear out their D, keep Book off the field, and keep the pressure of DeVito is strange.

Good news is, we were playing with house money. We win, great, we lose, we’re in the same position... more or less. BC is huge. I won’t lose sleep over this, but I’m disappointed. What a bad weekend of SU sports. Shout out to women’s B.B. for being a bright spot.
Agreed. One thing I will never understand about sports sometimes is why teams abandon what works. We seemed to play to very few of our strengths with this gameplan, regardless of Dungey's absence. Also not sure why DeVito seems to sprint ten yards straight backwards every time he's going to throw.

Agreed. One thing I will never understand about sports sometimes is why teams abandon what works. We seemed to play to very few of our strengths with this gameplan, regardless of Dungey's absence. Also not sure why DeVito seems to sprint ten yards straight backwards every time he's going to throw.

Yeah, regardless though DeVito is a better QB. I wonder if we score more with a Dungey though.

TD drops back to pass. He had to drop back further because he was getting no protection. Even that didn’t work. The sacks are entirely the O-Line’s fault.

TD drops back to pass. He had to drop back further because he was getting no protection. Even that didn’t work. The sacks are entirely the O-Line’s fault.
It might have been just the Notre Dame subs not getting as much pressure, but his pocket awareness on the last series seemed to improve. It was frustrating to watch him sprint so far back and then immediately try to sprint forward. Not his fault, I know; I'm sure he's more frustrated than anyone.

Not out coached. Out played.

I don’t totally agree with this. Yeah, we were outplayed but a lot of it would be negated if Babers and company had a better plan. This isn’t a knock on Babers, it happens sometimes. Still blessed and love him but it is what it is.

Please stop.

Rewatch the game. 5 in the box, we ran and it worked. 6 or 7. In the box, we threw.

The problem is that the spread got too wide and we had to throw. When that happened, our oline looked like Big Blue. Their d line absolutely crushed us. Conway is still trying to find their DE.

I still don’t think we win but if Johnson holds on to that TD pass, it is 13-7 and if Harris holds onto ball for first down, we stay with game plan longer and their d line doesn’t get to pin their ears back and just rush Devito...

Both of their o and d lines completely neutralized our lines and then some, there's only so much you can do to coach around that. Not to mention their qb is a stud too. We're just outclassed by their talent, it happens. Hopefully we will get there one day.

Game plan didn’t matter one iottta. They did what they plea

The thing that frustrates me about the “talent” argument is that they haven’t exactly been dominating people this year.

ND is not Bama. We should not be ok with what we saw today.

What I believe happened was the moment was too big for us, we were shellshocked, Dungey got hurt and then Johnson & Harris essentially lost us the ability to gameplan with the effect those two drops had.

...and yes, ND is better than us. They’re not 36-3 better than us.

Last edited:

I am trying to be constructive here, "keep Book off the field". We were trying to do that the entire game but as QUSE says it's about talent. Book throws frozen ropes though window panes. It's hard to keep someone like that off the field if your offensive line can't keep their DE's off DeVito, he had absolutely no time to even set up to throw. And we are three and out and here comes Book AGAIN. We're all disappointed but we have to move forward, learn from it and hopefully get another two wins. Talent wins out sometimes, most times - we'll get there.

The thing that frustrates me about the “talent” argument is that they haven’t exactly been dominating people this year.

What I believe happened was the moment was too big for us, we got shellshocked, Dungey got hurt and then Johnson & Harris essentially lost us the ability to gameplan with the effect those two drops had.

Exactly.

It’s going to be written off as “talent”, but we’re NEVER going to have the talent of the top tier Power 5. That’s the whole point of having Dino. See: Boise St. We are going to succeed for reasons other than talent and those reasons have to be better than a 36-3 gap.

This was just a big, big miss.

Clemson isn’t talented?

And it’s not about Frank Howard and Eric Dungey. This was a bad week for both and it wasn’t exclusively talent.

44cuse

What I believe happened was the moment was too big for us, we were shellshocked, Dungey got hurt and then Johnson & Harris essentially lost us the ability to gameplan with the effect those two drops had.

Eh, they've been dominating people on defense. They were only giving up 18 points a game.

In hindsight, something was going to give between their defense and our offense, and the smart money would have been to put it on the side that looks to have more NFL caliber talent.

So...

Eh, they've been dominating people on defense. They were only giving up 18 points a game.

In hindsight, something was going to give between their defense and our offense, and the smart money would have been to put it on the side that looks to have more NFL caliber talent.

So...
Well that’s 15 points more than we scored, and we’re, by far, the best offense they’ve played all year.

Exactly.

It’s going to be written off as “talent”, but we’re NEVER going to have the talent of the top tier Power 5. That’s the whole point of having Dino. See: Boise St. We are going to succeed for reasons other than talent and those reasons have to be better than a 36-3 gap.

This was just a big, big miss.

Clemson isn’t talented?

And it’s not about Frank Howard and Eric Dungey. This was a bad week for both and it wasn’t exclusively talent.

44cuse
Yup. The allure of Dino and a “system” is to bridge the talent gap as much as we can and then win on scheme along with the fact our system should bring in talented QB play.

Moe ran well. But so did Strick. In fact Strick averaged 6ypc to Moes 4ypc. Both ran well. Maybe we should have run more, but score started dictating differently.

So...

I’m with you...but that something that was going to give was not 3 points (IMO) if we are where we think we are.

Dungey or no Dungey (straight up and given how people around here talk about Devito).

44cuse

Yeah, regardless though DeVito is a better QB. I wonder if we score more with a Dungey though.
Part of being a good QB is reading defenses and playing to what the D is giving you. Dungey is far ahead of TD in that regard, and that’s more important than being able to sling the ball 50 yards.

I’m with you...but that something that was going to give was not 3 points (IMO) if we are where we think we are.

Dungey or no Dungey (straight up and given how people around here talk about Devito).

44cuse
I'm not sure what to make of it. I mean, ND was so prepared. Is it because they were talented enough to seemingly take everything away? Is it because they're coached better? Did they just really understand our tendencies and we played exactly as they predicted?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom