Well this certainly changes things | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Well this certainly changes things

The dude got every single team in the tournament right last year.

Then again i'm sure the guy doesn't have a clue he's just another talking head right
you could have done the same thing.

Virginia 's sos isn't above cuse . Cuse was 87 on Thursday while Virginia was 124 and 1 win isn't moving them up that much

I don't know where you are getting those numbers from but every site has Virginia's strength of schedule above the Cuse. They faced a tougher non-conference schedule. Wisconsin, VCU and SMU have a higher RPI than any OOC opponent Syracuse played. Baylor has the highest RPI among our early season opponents and they are just a few spots above Tennessee and Green Bay which are Virginia's worst losses.

I don't know where you are getting those numbers from but every site has Virginia's strength of schedule above the Cuse. They faced a tougher non-conference schedule. Wisconsin, VCU and SMU have a higher RPI than any OOC opponent Syracuse played. Baylor has the highest RPI among our early season opponents and they are just a few spots above Tennessee and Green Bay which are Virginia's worst losses.

Nova,Baylor,Cal,Min, St Johns is a tougher stretch than Wisc, VCU, SMU, and Ten.

Here is the other thing, we won all of those games, Uva only won one of their big games.

I know Green Bay is headed for the tournament, but they are a mid major, if we lost to Green Bay, we would never hear the end of it.

Nova,Baylor,Cal,Min, St Johns is a tougher stretch than Wisc, VCU, SMU, and Ten.

Here is the other thing, we won all of those games, Uva only won one of their big games.

I know Green Bay is headed for the tournament, but they are a mid major, if we lost to Green Bay, we would never hear the end of it.

I really don't see a big difference in those stretch. I give the edge to UVA's schedule in that stretch, but really it's not a massive difference.

But the other thing that you pointed out is the relevant thing. We won all those games, they did not.

As for your point on Green Bay, public perception is different than committee perception. Committee will view them as a legit tourney team - a 12 seed type team.

Did you forget that Villanova is no longer in our conference.

Although, I agree that overall, Virginia's OOC is slightly more difficult than Syracuse. But difference is small to negligible. So the 4 loss difference does not really need to be adjusted.

I really don't see a big difference in those stretch. I give the edge to UVA's schedule in that stretch, but really it's not a massive difference.

But the other thing that you pointed out is the relevant thing. We won all those games, they did not.

As for your point on Green Bay, public perception is different than committee perception. Committee will view them as a legit tourney team - a 12 seed type team.

You maybe right, but if we are talking one seed, you shouldn't be losing to a 12 seed type of team in your non conf schedule.

People are really fooling themselves with some of these seed projections for Virginia. The Cavaliers have the #1 BPI since January 1 and they may have passed us in the power index after Saturday game. If they finish with only one loss in league play and win the ACC Tournament, I think they are very likely to get a 1 seed for the Big Dance. I believe that would trump those early season losses in the minds of the Selection Committee.

It would definitely elevate their resume above Duke and Syracuse who would have at least 5 and 4 losses against ACC opponents after the league tourney.

It impossible to predict what is going to happen between now and Selection Sunday but a lot of people here are underestimating Virginia. Their strength of schedule ranked ahead of Syracuse's before today's game and they have been beating league opponents a lot more impressively than the Cuse has.

1. Is BPI a core metric of the committee?

2. Why are you isolating a metric since January 1, when its the entire body of work.

I do agree that Virginia has really closed the gap since January 1, and especially if they win the ACC tourney. But it was a legit 4 game gap they had to close. It's going to be close if it gets to that -- I call it a toss up scenario where the committee could come up with either.

1. Is BPI a core metric of the committee?

2. Why are you isolating a metric since January 1, when its the entire body of work.

BPI is a joke metric used by espn to try to prove their smarter than everyone else.

I am fairly certain the committee doesn't take it into account.

Sorry for leaving Villanova out. They were obviously our best out of conference opponent not Baylor.

Here are the RPI figures

5 Villanova
46 Baylor
47 Minnesota
51 Cal
60 St Johns

4 Wisconsin
15 VCU
39 SMU
48 Tennessee
52 Green Bay

You maybe right, but if we are talking one seed, you shouldn't be losing to a 12 seed type of team in your non conf schedule.

But Syracuse and Wisconsin have one much worse loss. I don't think it's something that deserves any extra highlighting on your resume. Just a regular old L, which will always hurt somebody going for a #1.

But Syracuse and Wisconsin have one much worse loss. I don't think it's something that deserves any extra highlighting on your resume. Just a regular old L, which will always hurt somebody going for a #1.

I think it is very possible that the Bc loss could have an affect on our seed.

However the committee year in and year out has very very clear about going out and playing tough non conference schedules

Syracuse's body of work in the non conf schedule is much stronger than Uva's.

The only point I am trying to make is Virginia has a better strength of schedule than Syracuse. You can look it up.

They played out of conference teams with higher RPI's and played more of them on the road than we did.. Syracuse only played one away game at St Johns before New Years. Neutral sites do not count as much in the RPI as road games.

what is the biggest loss that a #1 seed has suffered?
We beat by ~17 points in 1999. They then got a #1 and won the NCAA tournament. Hopefully we have the same scenario

We beat by ~17 points in 1999. They then got a #1 and won the NCAA tournament. Hopefully we have the same scenario

I was referring to people mentioning UVa as a potential 1 seed. They lost by like 50 vs Tennessee.

I was referring to people mentioning UVa as a potential 1 seed. They lost by like 50 vs Tennessee.
yeah but that game doesn't really count, cuz they were like a different team then and Harris went over to coach's house and they had a talk, so that loss doesn't count

yeah but that game doesn't really count, cuz they were like a different team then and Harris went over to coach's house and they had a talk, so that loss doesn't count

Plus, it was before January 1, so the Selection Committee will ignore it.

Also, Tennessee and UWGB are really, really, really good.

The only point I am trying to make is Virginia has a better strength of schedule than Syracuse. You can look it up.

They played out of conference teams with higher RPI's and played more of them on the road than we did.. Syracuse only played one away game at St Johns before New Years. Neutral sites do not count as much in the RPI as road games.

Their sos might be higher, but their body of work isn't even close, their only good non conf win was smu.

What were all those games in Maui that we played?

Maybe if we can convince the committee that CJ had dinner at Jb's house the next day, they will throw out the Bc game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom