were better with howard in | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

were better with howard in

I love Howard's game. I'm looking forward to him being much-improved in 2016-17 after gaining some strength and improving his outside shot.

I hear you. I'd like to see him get just a bit more run, especially on nights where G is obviously gassed (like the end of the first half) and Cooney is not hitting.

I disagree on the playing with fire, but that's probably just semantics for me.
Playing with fire = the chances of him undoing the positives he contributes with defensive mistakes and/or poor decisions with ball increase the longer he is on the floor. And we know JB likes to have the odds in his favor.

How? Howard knows what he is doing out there and is a tremendous true point guard. Like somebody said earlier, he makes everyone on the court better. He is just as good, if not a better passer than Ennis, and he has the size and ability to see over the defense to get teammates open looks. While I do agree that he makes some dumb mistakes out there (see turnover he committed last night when he was caught from behind), but overall I think he is going to be a very good player if his jumper starts to fall for him. He's already shown he can drive by guys and can finish with either hand around the rim.
Notice I said "at this stage in his development." He is going to be very good player, but JB has better and more reliable options now. Right now it's about winning games in the present, not developing Howard for next year.

Notice I said "at this stage in his development." He is going to be very good player, but JB has better and more reliable options now. Right now it's about winning games in the present, not developing Howard for next year.
Gee, what if we had developed Frank a little more throughout THIS season?

Agree, what a novel idea. The only reason he's even seeing the floor right now is cause Hop played him when JAB was out.

The metrics don't back up that we are better with Howard on the floor. He has the highest turnover percentage out of any player we have and he gives us 78 points per 100 Possessions while giving up 105. Frankly we are way under water with him on the court.

The metrics don't back up that we are better with Howard on the floor. He has the highest turnover percentage out of any player we have and he gives us 78 points per 100 Possessions while giving up 105. Frankly we are way under water with him on the court.

Where do you get those numbers?

Last night is the type of game where we need a guy like Howard out there. Our guys weren't really able to win their one on one battles to beat guys off the dribble or create their own shots so you need someone out there who can help create shots for them. Howard is one of the only guys on our roster this year who is a good enough passer to help make it easier on our finishers to have opportunities to get good looks or finishes near the basket. That's partially probably why we saw so many offensive foul calls because our guys couldn't create separation so we're getting whistled for push-offs, slower developing drives allowing weak side rotations, etc.

Also, Howard can make shots at a much higher rate than what he's been doing this year. For those who saw him play multiple times in high school the floater he hit last night is a very makeable shot for him that he has had in his arsenal. However, nobody is going to be a good shooter when you have a coach who pretty much pulls you whenever you miss and consistently tells you you're a bad shooter. No player really plays well when you're looking over your shoulder everytime you make a mistake to see if someone is heading to the scorers table. That's not a shot at JB it's just something anyone who's played can tell you. He'll be another example of a guy who will thrive and take huge leaps of progress when he gets a longer leash.

I've been saying this for a couple of weeks now. The offense appears to run better with Howard in the game.

The admin who's been deleting my posts knows I'm a 'sell' on Cooney but honestly, I thought there was a stretch last night the offense was at it's best with Howard, Cooney and G in at the same time.

You failed to mention he also has the highest assist percentage both in conference and overall. And second highest defensive rating. And that lots of those stats are just made up numbers in someone's mind.

I don't think he's bad defensively, I just think theres a good amount of people overrating his offensive ability. 78 points per 100 possessions is not good, and that accounts for his assist percentage.

I don't think he's bad defensively, I just think theres a good amount of people overrating his offensive ability. 78 points per 100 possessions is not good, and that accounts for his assist percentage.

Not taking 3 point shots has to really hurt his numbers, right? How do they figure assist percentage into that equation? Does he get 3 point credit when he dishes for a made three?

Maybe that would have cost them a game or two and they would be on the wrong side of the bubble right now. And who's to say how much he has developed in practice? Not all development occurs in games.

I've been saying this for a couple of weeks now. The offense appears to run better with Howard in the game.

The admin who's been deleting my posts knows I'm a 'sell' on Cooney but honestly, I thought there was a stretch last night the offense was at it's best with Howard, Cooney and G in at the same time.

The stats say otherwise.

The stats say otherwise.

Let's also not forget that those stats are based on the entire season. The Frank we are seeing now is not the same guy we saw at the beginning of the year or the beginning of the conference season. He's getting better and better all the time. This will continue next year.

How about on the defensive end of the floor? He is not very good on defense and on offense, he is no threat.

Is he a huge step down on defensw? Im not sure that is the case.

Is he a scoring threat? He looked good on his two takes last night. Also, a dime is as good as a bucket.

Let's also not forget that those stats are based on the entire season. The Frank we are seeing now is not the same guy we saw at the beginning of the year or the beginning of the conference season. He's getting better and better all the time. This will continue next year.

Eh, his offensive rating in conference is worse than his overall rating. I'm not saying he isn't going to be a good player, but he isn't there yet.

Who was in the lineup when we had our comeback the last 3 minutes or so? Hmm

He doesn't need to be defended from three, but if you don't guard him, he will blow by you and either make the layup or actually dish the ball to someone for a dunk. We don't need him to be Allen Iverson. I agree he needs to be a threat from 15-18 feet, but in the pick and roll offense, we don't need him to be a three point shooter. There was one time last night that I thought it would be great for him to be a threat from 3. G reversed the ball very quickly to Frank and he was WIDE OPEN on the wing/corner area. Even with the leash tightly around his neck I would have liked to see him take that shot. Heck, Cooney takes that and misses most games as well... Sorry, that was cheap.
There is a good reason he has a short leash. He is shooting .067 from three. Do you know how bad that is less than 7 out of 100. The problem with him driving to the basket is he's going to get fouled a lot and he can't make foul shoots .500. We need to bring in a point guard that can do everything Howard can do because that's what point guards do and can shoot the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom