were better with howard in | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

were better with howard in

The metrics don't back up that we are better with Howard on the floor. He has the highest turnover percentage out of any player we have and he gives us 78 points per 100 Possessions while giving up 105. Frankly we are way under water with him on the court.

I can't find the formula for individual TO%, what I believe it to be TOV / (FGA + 0.44 * FTA + TOV + AST), would overestimate Howard's TOs compared to Gbinije, Cooney and Richardson. Howard's low shot rate means TOs are a larger portion of the denominator. Gbinije is taking 20 FGA per 100 possessions, while Howard is only taking 10.

Of course, that also means Howard's assist % is inflated relatively too.

The stats say otherwise.

I'm not sure those stats serve as a good comparison among players. The playing time that Howard gets is much different than the playing time that any of the 6 guys in front of him logs and its only over the last 8 or so games that he has truly become a regular part of the rotation - where JB seems to be trusting him more. Before that he was getting largely garbage minutes.

Only it's nothing like 7 of 100. It's 1 of 15.

Stats are fun. They offer ammunition for whatever agenda you're looking to push.
So tell jim to let him shoot the stats don't tell the true story. I wonder what he would say

I'm not sure those stats serve as a good comparison among players. The playing time that Howard gets is much different than the playing time that any of the 6 guys in front of him logs and its only over the last 8 or so games that he has truly become a regular part of the rotation - where JB seems to be trusting him more. Before that he was getting largely garbage minutes.
Before this recent stretch, Howard was mainly limited to first half minutes, mostly against the weaker teams on the schedule. I wouldn't call those garbage minutes either. This team really hasn't played a lot of garbage minutes this season, as few games across the schedule have really been one-sided in either direction.

I want to know frank's plus minus over the past 10 games. Can anyone pull that?

Frank seems to get a long run in the first half but jb does not seem to trust him in the second half. Thats just my observation.

I want to know frank's plus minus over the past 10 games. Can anyone pull that?

All I can find is Box Plus Minus. Not easy to find this stat. And to the people that think I'm pushing some agenda, I'm not. Every statistic you can possibly pull shows him to be a below average player at this point, and the worst out of the 7 guys we play. He's actually a better defensive player than offensive player at this point. He's a point guard and turns the ball over 34% of the time he tries to make a play in ACC play. Gbinije is at 17% comparatively.

Only it's nothing like 7 of 100. It's 1 of 15.

Stats are fun. They offer ammunition for whatever agenda you're looking to push.
Why hasn't this Ky Feldman guy been getting more playing time?? He's dominant!

He's obviously been Boeheimed.

upload_2016-3-1_10-43-32.png

PhatOrange said:
I've been saying this for a couple of weeks now. The offense appears to run better with Howard in the game. The admin who's been deleting my posts knows I'm a 'sell' on Cooney but honestly, I thought there was a stretch last night the offense was at it's best with Howard, Cooney and G in at the same time.

I don't know who deleted your post or why and maybe I did but one thing people need to keep in mind is that when a "bad" post is deleted, any posts that quote that post will get deleted as well as the down stream back and forth.

Is he a huge step down on defensw? Im not sure that is the case.

Is he a scoring threat? He looked good on his two takes last night. Also, a dime is as good as a bucket.
He is a big step down on defense. He is constantly out of position and gives up open 3's. he doesn't have that much experience and will get better but that is who he is right now. And a couple of layups doesn't make up for the fact that teams not only don't have to guard him, they can shade other players because of it.

He is a big step down on defense. He is constantly out of position and gives up open 3's. he doesn't have that much experience and will get better but that is who he is right now. And a couple of layups doesn't make up for the fact that teams not only don't have to guard him, they can shade other players because of it.

It's not nearly as big as you indicate. And regarding giving up open 3s, Cooney does that with regularity. He gave up a ton last night, UNC just missed them.

It's not nearly as big as you indicate. And regarding giving up open 3s, Cooney does that with regularity. He gave up a ton last night, UNC just missed them.
There is no comparison between Cooney and Howard on defense. It's closer on who has the better outside shot.

There is no comparison between Cooney and Howard on defense. It's closer on who has the better outside shot.

Well, one is a 5th year senior so he should be better on defense. And your second sentence cracked me up.

This should not be about Cooney vs Howard.

It should be Cooney vs Richardson vs Howard.

We should be riding the hot hands. Yesterday, Howard and Cooney were the two that needed to be on the floor more. Richardson was terrible on the boards and terrible on offense. Missing shots, 4 TO's (I believe all fouls). He was bad.

If Cooney isn't shooting well and Howard is generating easy baskets. He should be playing.

He was shooting under 60% from the line in HS midway through last season. It's something he'll definitely need to improve since he'll be handling the rock a lot over the next few years.

100%. That FT looked real grim.

CuseFaninVT said:

JB disagrees with you. In fact the only one that got chewed out by JB last night was G one time although I did see Cooney rotate too slowly once. You need to study the zone and see where and how they move and rotate and not just assume it's one persons fault because it was made on "their side".

Last edited:
JB disagrees with you. In fact the only one that got chewed out by JB last night was G one time although I did see Cooney rotate too slowly once. You need to study the zone and see where and how they live and rotate and not just assume it's one persons fault because it was made on "their side".

Fair enough on the open 3s. I do think Cooney gets too much blame on those when it's basically the zone's design to give those up (maybe a little more contested). I do think Cooney is much better with positioning for steals off of traps.

BUT...Cooney was/is penetrated on with semi-regularity causing the zone to shift and create open looks inside.

JB disagrees with you. In fact the only one that got chewed out by JB last night was G one time although I did see Cooney rotate too slowly once. You need to study the zone and see where and how they move and rotate and not just assume it's one persons fault because it was made on "their side".

I'll try to study harder next time. We weren't great defensively all around last night. Luckily they missed a lot of open shots.

Howard's style is prettier to watch than Cooney's. It seems like Cooney is almost traveling all of the time, and he only has one or 2 moves that he repeats. This may be a stretch, but it seems like Howard's dribbling and passing ability is something like Steph Curry's! If he could shoot, the sky would be the limit.

It is too bad Trevor took that Gbinije range 3 that cooled him off.

Last edited:
Howard's style is prettier to watch than Cooney's. It seems like Cooney is almost traveling all of the time, and he only has one or 2 moves that he repeats. This may be a stretch, but it seems like Howard's dribbling and passing ability is something like Steph Curry's! If he could shoot, the sky would be the limit.

It is too bad Trevor took that Gbinige range 3 that cooled him off.

He travels almost every catch, I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom