What I'm hearing | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean the 2 years when he inherited a roster from an established coach who is recognized as a truly great reporter in romar?

I don't have time to respond to this in depth, but I'll point you to a post Jake made earlier. Hop has been a disaster offensively, and his teams have gotten worse defensively after losing that athletic wing to the NBA. He doesn't seem to have any answers, because he's basically a no-trick pony. He just goes with what he knows, which is basically to attempt to run this same systems on both side of the ball that he learned from Boeheim, only he's not nearly as good of a coach.
I’ve been consistent about Hop being the perfect candidate to take over for JB when he retires—unless we can get a real proven name like Oats or Musselman. But there’s definitely some legit things that give me pause about Hop, including as you said his offensive schemes. I know it’s just Random Internet Dude, but this Washington basketball blogger has made a somewhat persuasive case that Hop just may not be high-level head coaching material.

Last edited:
Why can't we just hire Nate Oats?

He has another 2 5 stars coming in next year. He'd bring that type of talent to us immediately.

Boeheim doesn't like him which I think is great we really need to make a 180 degree change. Its not like we are going to start wearing green like JB would lead fans to believe if we don't let him pick the next coach.
Buyout is $12 million

Probably goes down slightly after next year, but thats a lot of dough

His first 2 years were an improvement from 9 wins under Romar to 21 wins first year (Coach of the Year in Pac-12), and then to 27 wins in his second year (Coach of the Year again).

Even this last year, he was 12 games better than their disaster season (year 4), and in his 3rd year, which our Washington friends were unhappy with, was around .500. So, 1 truly terrible year in five. Two times NCAA teams and Coach of the Year. Two times around where we have been these last few years.

Let him get his East Coast relationships going again, and he's probably our best choice for the transition.

The team quit on Romar his last season. Before that they had 8 straight winning seasons and 12 out of 13. The lone losing season was 16 W 17 Ls. Also 7 out of those 8 winning years he was .500 or better in the P12. He also made a S16 and NIT Semi during that span. Ten out of 13 years he made the post season. Seven times he was Top 3 in the P12 and won it 2x. He also won 3 P12Ts. Romar was .604 (.530) while at Washington, and had 3 S16s, 6 NCAATs, 3 NITs including a F4. People are acting like they were an awful program. Hop is .531 (.484) which is worse.

I personally can't wrap my head around if Hart would take the SU job given his current situation?

He's positioning himself to be a high level guy on an NBA staff in a matter of a few years. Is his goal to be a college HC or NBA? Has he publicly said he wants to be a college HC? He seems to be taking the pro route. California to Cuse isn't exactly an easy sell, either.
He has publicly stated he wants to be a HC in college. He did a podcast interview with Etan Thomas stating as much. I think he would be very interested in taking over for JB. He actually appeals to me a bit more than Hop. Higher risk, but higher reward.

Back when Hop was named HCIW, there were zero concerns with his ability to recruit. They concerns were his game coaching ability. I think those concerns are still out there given his performance at UW.

I’d still take either, but Hart appeals to me a bit more right now.

Someone looking at SU from the outside looks at Syracuse as nothing more than a middle of the pack ACC program. This is with a Hall of Fame coach. There’s not a lot of pressure. Being average has been ok since moving to the ACC. So many schools in the east have passed us by since leaving the Big East. You can easily say Villanova, Providence, Seton Hall, UCONN, Iona, and even Colgate has moved passed us. That’s not much pressure to uphold.

I heard binghamton and lafayette moved passed us too
Past

I’ve been consistent about Hop being the perfect candidate to take over for JB when he retires—unless we can get a real proven name like Oats or Musselman. But there’s definitely some legit things that give me pause about Hop, including as you said his offensive schemes. I know it’s just a Random Internet Dude, but this Washington basketball blogger has made a somewhat persuasive case that Hop just isn’t high level head coaching material.
Yes I posted this article last week. It's alarming how bad Hop has done in Washington. The posters on board as wanting Hop to be coach either refuse to read it or don't care. It's a long read but very damning. I thought it was odd that absolutely no one chimed in after I posted it. It certainly paints a different view than most have on this board.

I'm more concerned about who will replace JB's successor.

A lot of people are whistling Dixie if they think JB's successor has better than a 30% chance of being successful.

I don't care if it's Hop, Red, Pitino, Brad Stevens, Jay Wright...

The odds of this person being anything but mediocre are slim. I'm not a pessimistic person; I just don't see how the truest sports axiom doesn't apply to this situation:

Never be the guy who replaces the legend; be the guy who replaces the guy who replaced the legend.
If you haven’t paid attention over the past 5 years, the original legendary Jim Boeheim isn’t the coach of Syracuse anymore. Zombie Boeheim has been running the show.

Zombie Boeheim is not a legend. He’s the guy that replaced the legend.

If you haven’t paid attention over the past 5 years, the original legendary Jim Boeheim isn’t the coach of Syracuse anymore. Zombie Boeheim has been running the show.

Zombie Boeheim is not a legend. He’s the guy that replaced the legend.

I think a lot of fans find comfort in this sentiment and time will tell if it's true.

I think the program is in need of new leadership but I don't believe JB's successor, no matter how deeply he craters the program, will succeed.

And that will set the stage nicely for his successor's replacement to bring the program back to national prominence.

I think a lot of fans find comfort in this sentiment and time will tell if it's true.

I think the program is in need of new leadership but I don't believe JB's successor, no matter how deeply he craters the program, will succeed.

And that will set the stage nicely for his successor's replacement to bring the program back to national prominence.

I do think that the next HC will most likely fail. The issue for the guy after that is the kids he is recruiting were 3 years old that last time SU was a national player.

Yes I posted this article last week. It's alarming how bad Hop has done in Washington. The posters on board as wanting Hop to be coach either refuse to read it or don't care. It's a long read but very damning. I thought it was odd that absolutely no one chimed in after I posted it. It certainly paints a different view than most have on this board.
Sorry, I must have missed your post. He has written previous analytical pieces on Hop’s tenure that have given me pause. It is just Random Washington basketball blogger, so one guy’s opinion/analysis, but he seems knowledgeable and balanced and comes armed with data and doesn’t seem to have an ax to grind. Honestly, none of us, including many members of the CBB media, know the whole story or the issues and challenges that may have held Hop back. I agree he’s still somewhat of a risk, but we know he’ll get our recruiting back on track and maybe JW will make him hire an experienced offensive mind as his assistant.

yeah, we should deffo pass on hop.

I am having a hard time understanding how we can even justify an inside hire at this point.

If the program was in good shape, fine... but it's anything but, I'm afraid...

Might have missed it (sporadic use on here nowadays). Can you repost?

Also I’m not saying what I “want”. I’m predicting what I think will happen

Might have missed it (sporadic use on here nowadays). Can you repost?

Also I’m not saying what I “want”. I’m predicting what I think will happen
Great point. What I “want” is a national search and a big name coming over to get us back on track. I’ve stated publicly that 4 years of Rick Pitino would be the perfect transitional hire- that he’d reboot our program for the next guy to keep us relevant.
With that being said, what’s likely to happen is JW will go to an alum, and I do expect it to be either Red or Hop.

Last edited:
we're on the same page. I cannot believe that people see it any other way at this point.

I want to like Hop...like the article says likable guy, hard nosed competitive player etc...

BUT this is about WINNING...who will be a winner? who will lead the program to success?

if the question was who can look like the coach and act like the coach in press conferences and be likable then sure...
If the choice is between Hop/RED/G-Mac I will take Hop 100 times out of 100
wow you must think so lowly of red and gmac...i wouldnt take hop 1 out of 100 if those were the three options.

Thing about a farewell tour is it goes much easier if your team is good. NOt sure that will be the case for us next year which I am assuming is JB's last.
That's a good point. Just think about how crappy that was for Duke to lose at home for their last game of the season. It would have been even worse had they lost in the sweet 16 to TT. That would have been a terrible way for him to go out, which I have to admit, I was fully rooting to happen.

I’ve been consistent about Hop being the perfect candidate to take over for JB when he retires—unless we can get a real proven name like Oats or Musselman. But there’s definitely some legit things that give me pause about Hop, including as you said his offensive schemes. I know it’s just Random Internet Dude, but this Washington basketball blogger has made a somewhat persuasive case that Hop just may not be high-level head coaching material.

Wow...

That was a brutal read. Even if you take some of it with the hefty grain of salt, does not paint a pretty picture for Hopkins. But it validates what we're seeing unfold at UW.

Last edited:
I'm not in the corner of bringing Hop back. But for those that say 'no way, he's proven he can't coach'...

From 1991 - 1995 Bill Belichick coached the Cleveland Browns to a 37-45 record. For 4 of those years his DC was Nick Saban. Just saying that record does not always tell you much about the quality of the coaching.

I'm not in the corner of bringing Hop back. But for those that say 'no way, he's proven he can't coach'...

From 1991 - 1995 Bill Belichick coached the Cleveland Browns to a 37-45 record. For 4 of those years his DC was Nick Saban. Just saying that record does not always tell you much about the quality of the coaching.
Belichick went back to being an assistant for four years before getting another head coaching job.

Status
Not open for further replies.