What I'm hearing | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hilarious that the zone requires athletes yet those same athletes can’t play man… even though mid majors with a roster of gumps can be taught to play it effectively

Gold! :)

JB retires to coach football and Buddy coaches basketball.

But what about Julie and Jimmy? Is the lax job going to open?

You don't get more than two years if you're Autry or GMac. No way, no how. If we're still at 10+ L regular seasons in '24-25, it ain't workin'.
How about if it is someone else? Do they get more than two years if we have 10+ losses on 24-25? I mean, what should we do if their first three years look like 17-13, 10-17 and 11-17? I guess we would have to fire them, right? That was K's first three years at Duke. A school that had played for the national title just a couple of years before he took over.

This is the most groundhog day conversation ever in the history of the board. There’s really no point even discussing it until JB is gone. Things have changed with time.
Buckle up and enjoy a long several months (at least) of the same.

Then put your little hand in mine, there ain't no hill or mountain we can't climb.

I’ve warmed significantly to the Red Griff Show. I’d like to see GMac stay, too. Firm believer that there’s untapped potential on staff.
I have nothing against Gerry, but I really like the idea of opening up two coaching positions. I like it for the same reason others have mentioned. Hopefully Red would have some guys in mind with serious recruiting chops.

I have nothing against Gerry, but I really like the idea of opening up two coaching positions. I like it for the same reason others have mentioned. Hopefully Red would have some guys in mind with serious recruiting chops.
I would be disappointed in keeping Griff. Nothing against him. I'm sure he bleeds Orange. But I haven't seen much from him.

They are 1 year difference on the SU bench. By some insider reports, JB's choice is GMAC, meaning that he isn't the AD's choice, and likely won't be.
Also, for the betterment of the program, (at least) 2 new coaches on staff would be good.
Autry is Associate Head Coach. GM is an Assistant Coach. Their titles reflect a clear order of seniority.

Who do you think is the best Syracuse Basketball recruiter, Red or Gerry or Griff? I know that Red is more experienced and has the deeper network but a lot of the recruits appear to talk to Gerry and tend to relate to him and continue to talk with him. Griff is behind the scenes with players like Bazley and Bunch. Each coach has pluses and successes. Why can’t we keep all three? Do you feel that they would be jealous of one another and not work together?

Who do you think is the best Syracuse Basketball recruiter, Red or Gerry or Griff? I know that Red is more experienced and has the deeper network but a lot of the recruits appear to talk to Gerry and tend to relate to him and continue to talk with him. Griff is behind the scenes with players like Bazley and Bunch. Each coach has pluses and successes. Why can’t we keep all three? Do you feel that they would be jealous of one another and not work together?
I don’t know how Gerry is even in the conversation when it comes to recruiting and being good at it.

Its the only logical path for 50 years of success other than hiring hop.
You dont walk away from 50 years of success. It would be insane.
Here’s the positive angle on it….and I don’t think it’s a stretch.

We’re using the same system we have for years, but let’s be honest. — The energy level at the top isn’t what it was.

So is it the system, or the guy running it that’s been the issue the past few years. I think a continuity hire says the leadership thinks it’s the latter.

So JW continues the base system (2-3 zone). Gets new energy and likely the addition of some M2M and a more aggressive mindset toward the portal.

We’ll still recruit the types of guys that we like..and keep a signature piece of the brand w/ a 2022 facelift.

The elephant in the room is what happens when the ball is tipped. JB is one of the best game strategists around as long as he’s not coaching his sons.

It is going to be an absolute shock to the fans base when someone else is making decisions. JB is going to suddenly get more respect from fans.

Last edited:
Here’s the positive angle on it….and I don’t think it’s a stretch.

We’re using the same system we have for years, but let’s be honest. — The energy level at the top isn’t what it was.

So is it the system, or the guy running it that’s been the issue the past few years. I think a continuity hire says the leadership thinks it’s the latter.

So JW continuums the base system (2-3 zone). Gets new energy and likely the addition of some M2M and a more aggressive mindset tossed the portal.

We’re still recruit the types of guys that we like..and keep a signature piece of the brand w/ a 2022 facelift.

The elephant in the room is what happens when the ball is tipped. JB is top one of the best game strategists around as long as he’s not coaching his sons.

It is going to be an absolute shock to the fans base when someone else is making decisions. JB is going to suddenly get more respect from fans.
We've done a great job identifying kids early on in the process but have not done a good job closing the deal. Once the succession plan is known it should make a huge difference. And yes, people (some fans of ours and other programs) have always taken JAB for granted.

I don’t know how Gerry is even in the conversation when it comes to recruiting and being good at it.
He was the lead on quadir Copeland, Justin Taylor, and maliq brown that’s half the class. He’s also the lead on Elmarko and Reid who are the two biggest targets in 23. And to keep adding on rob wright who is one of the best 24 recruits in the country. I’d say he’s catching his stride some.

He was the lead on quadir Copeland, Justin Taylor, and maliq brown that’s half the class. He’s also the lead on Elmarko and Reid who are the two biggest targets in 23. And to keep adding on rob wright who is one of the best 24 recruits in the country. I’d say he’s catching his stride some.
Burgeoning rainmaker?

What were Copeland and Taylor ranked? How many top 50 guys has he recruited in 10 years? Top 100 guys? Until Copeland and Taylor do something they’re nothing.

I’m not saying they’re going to be bad but Gmac has gotten the benefit of doubt every single time, if his name was John Smith and didn’t have his history as a player here he would’ve been out on his ass years ago.

I would be disappointed in keeping Griff. Nothing against him. I'm sure he bleeds Orange. But I haven't seen much from him.

IIRC, he gets credit for Edwards. He’s done well with him and Dolezaj developmentally, and I’d like to see what he could do with NYC under a different HC.

Edit: Kadary, too, no?

It would be insane to stick to a pattern of 8 years of decline, because people are afraid of change and prefer to reminisce about the good 'ol days / focus on the past instead of the future.
I dont agree at all. The 50 years of excellence isnt going to be risked because the program had a few mediocre years. Red Mac or Hop will, as they should be given an opportunity.
If in the event they fail than JW will have a clean slate to move outside.
If however JW goes outside after Jim leaves and his outside choice fails he will have ruined 50 years of foundation and will be out as AD.

I would fear the optics if it's GMAC over Red, as Red has more experience and has seniority on the staff.
I've thought this as well but didn't want to go down that road. But yeah I think optics will play a factor here.

I really hope that G stays if Red gets the job. Im sure he is getting paid very well, and he bleeds orange
G should look for other options. There will replacements with better connections and better resumes trying to get in that seat

What if JB has a really good year. Things click with the freshman. Do you think any one is going to try to push him out? They should but then it is portal time. I don't know who the best hire is. Probably not on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom